PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know what composition this might be?

unique
07-04-2015, 05:40 PM
A print shop sold me a bunch of linotype and threw this in and said it was to replenish the alloy. I suspect Sn & Sb but curious to ratio?

scottfire1957
07-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Most accurate thing to do is have it analyzed. Anything else will, at best, be close, but unconfirmed without analysis.

mfraser264
07-05-2015, 12:26 PM
I also have had a block of break off ingots for refreshing linotype. My bars were marked HiTin and are 5% higher in tin to correct for the tin that was oxidizing and being lost after remelting several times. Scottfire1957 is correct, best method to determine what you have is to have it checked. Great material to create heats of high tin and antimony alloys. Nice find.

runfiverun
07-05-2015, 09:25 PM
foundry type.
look it up.

unique
07-06-2015, 09:16 PM
foundry type.
look it up.

I have been looking but haven't been very successful. Any suggestion where I can look? Thanks.

runfiverun
07-06-2015, 11:54 PM
Ricks Lahsc site or the lyman book will tell you.
foundry type is used to regenerate lino-type when it got worked over and lost it's tin and some antimony.
the old lead type setters wanted letters, they didn't muck about cleaning stuff too much [until the slag built up on the pot] or worrying about temperature fluctuations.

Ballistics in Scotland
07-07-2015, 02:42 AM
You could suspend it on a thin thread and weigh it both dry and immersed in water. The dry weight divided by the difference between them gives its specific gravity. It would be difficult to get a really accurate indication of composition if it is only tin (specific gravity 7.365) and antimony (6.697). But it should tell you for sure if there is much lead in there.

bangerjim
07-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Yes probably foundry. If someone did not cast something else in the mold!!!!! You NEVER know.

X-ray gun shoot at a scrap yard is the ONLY way to know for sure. That is what I always do.

Otherwise you've got a SWAG on your hands.

banger