PDA

View Full Version : Stock wax removal

CT-shooter777
07-04-2015, 05:34 PM
I redid a stock and forearm some years ago that I what to re-stain darker. IIRC I used Butchers wax over the finish.
Any recommendations for removal, I know there are some automotive products ?, but for metal prep, just don't want to make a mess of it.

T.I.A
CT

country gent
07-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Remove all metal and furniture. Try a cleaner for hardwood floors as it is meant to remove wax from wood.

Cmm_3940
07-05-2015, 05:09 AM
Isopropyl is commonly used to remove wax coatings in other applications. Don't know how gentle it would be on the underlying finish, though..

Blackwater
07-05-2015, 10:23 AM
I think mineral spirits will dissolve it, won't it?

gnoahhh
07-05-2015, 11:52 AM
I have done that very thing on several occasions. I used mineral spirits to wash off the wax (I'm a religious user of Butcher's Wax, too), with no injury to the finish. Wipe on, wipe off. Don't let it soak.

Hawks Feather
07-05-2015, 12:11 PM
I think about anything will work since you will need to remove the prior finish to get to base wood and be able to have the stain work well. But getting the wax off will allow you to get rid of the finish without clogging whatever you are using to remove it better.

Char-Gar
07-05-2015, 12:22 PM
I have used both isopropyl and mineral spirits and both work well. While they won't damage the finish itself, they will dull it.

I tend to prefer isopropyl as it will evaporate off quickly and won't harm any metal it get's on. I keep a bottle of the 90% stuff in my shop to remove not only wax, but grease and oil from whatever.

CT-shooter777
07-05-2015, 09:44 PM
I have used both isopropyl and mineral spirits and both work well. While they won't damage the finish itself, they will dull it.

I tend to prefer isopropyl as it will evaporate off quickly and won't harm any metal it get's on. I keep a bottle of the 90% stuff in my shop to remove not only wax, but grease and oil from whatever.

Yeah, I think I will try the 90% first, sounds like a start.

Thanks All............

plainsman456
07-05-2015, 11:05 PM
I use De-natured for removing wax and some grundge from stocks.

The hardware store should have it in the paint section.