PDA

View Full Version : It's nice to see powder starting to come back

fatelk
07-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Rifle powder is back on the shelves pretty regular for the first time in years, and I see some pistol powder available hit and miss online as well.

Powder Valley has 8lb kegs of AA#9, and Ramshot Silhouette which looks like a good one for 9mm and .40S&W. I wonder if this is the end of it because everyone finally has their fill, or just a brief respite until the next scare. Hopefully .22LR ammo will follow suit.

Unfortunately I told my wife the other day that I'm done spending money on gun stuff. As the kids get older I've come to realize that my income is enough to raise a family and pay the bills, but not enough for extra toys and stuff we don't need. Hopefully this isn't just intermission between scares, and I'll be able to pick up a pound or two as I need it in the future.

runfiverun
07-05-2015, 09:34 AM
you know,,, I keep passing on stuff I see here and there too.
hoping the 3 powders I really want will show up sooner or later.

then it occurs to me that Hillary Clinton is running for the white HOSE job........

Blackwater
07-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Amen to both posts above! I'm STILL trying to find another keg of Unique. Been a day late on every chance that's appeared for a couple of years now. Want or need several others for special loads, too, but no luck there, either. I can make do, but I sure do miss the "good ol' days" when powders were pretty much available easily and very regularly.

I've seen posts that the recent spurt of improved availability was a sign the shortage was nearing its end, and I'd LOVE to believe that, but I guess I'm just a natural agnostic about such things, and I fear it may well be "do it now or forever hold your peace." This is a really hard place to be because none of us have chrystal balls, and can'r see what lies ahead. Sure does take a portion of the joy out of casting and shooting, doesn't it?

oldred
07-05-2015, 11:57 AM
I too was relieved to see powder finally starting to return and now I must admit to being part of the reason it has not returned completely to normal, in the last few months I have managed to accumulate (and properly store) enough 4064, 4895, 4198, Varget and Bullseye to last a long time for me. I still need to boost my stash of 4895 and 4064 and Bullseye is still a bit hard to come by but hopefully if nothing else happens to restart the panic in the next few months I hope to never again have to worry about finding powder or primers.

RogerDat
07-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Tough to call oldred "wrong" for his approach. I'm hoping that powder (and primer) market will soften up a bit so that I can steadily build up an inventory. I can't drop large amounts of $$$ in one shot on reloading. Need supply to remain decent for enough time to accumulate a full pantry.

At end of second day of gun show saw Varget, at least some of the rifle powders oldred mentions, plus some pistol powder, including the mythical 2400 magnum powder. They were getting low on some primers but were not out. This same show last year would have been lucky to find primers. Last year it would have been take the brand they have or do without. This year Federal or CCI were options at more than one vendor.

Who knew they still sold powder in containers over 1# I saw actual specimens that were new, and in useful powders no less!

DonMountain
07-08-2015, 10:39 PM
you know,,, I keep passing on stuff I see here and there too.
hoping the 3 powders I really want will show up sooner or later.

then it occurs to me that Hillary Clinton is running for the white HOSE job........

The Democrats are a little soft on powder and other "gun" things right now to show you they are "good" for the country, so vote for them. That way they get the biggest number of votes from both sides of the fence. But wait for the day after the swearing in ceremony when Hillary Clinton wins. You best have all the powder that you will need for the rest of your life. Oh, and don't try shooting any boolets at deer either.

Point-Man
07-09-2015, 04:49 PM
It`s good to see powder, bullets and primers becoming available again. I can`t buy in bulk, but I do buy when I can. It`s not
IF we have another panic but WHEN. God help us if Hillary is elected president .

dragon813gt
07-09-2015, 06:19 PM
I stopped myself from buying from PV earlier in the week. Now I need to buy a few items from Grafs and I'm trying not to add a keg of LVR to my cart. There is only one powder left that I need to buy in bull. But it's MIA everywhere :(

captaint
07-10-2015, 10:38 AM
God help us all if Hillary gets elected. And anymore, I wouldn't be surprised, sadly. I might have to retire to Belize or somewhere.