PDA

View Full Version : what has come of us

white eagle
07-04-2015, 01:45 PM
I was watching the tube last night with my wife and there was a commercial for some awards show to be broadcast in the near future. And there were going to give Bruce Jenner a award for courage :oops:. Now it seems as though they gave this award (unless its the trash can award) to the wrong person.
They had better recognize and honor the men and women of the armed services this award not some weirdo..

runfiverun
07-04-2015, 01:59 PM
I never mind [I have an opinion but won't get started]

375supermag
07-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Just one more reason I never watch awards shows.

I only watch a handful of TV shows...Big Bang Theory, Longmire and Manhattan.

I watch news, weather, movies and sports on TV.

If it weren't for live sporting events, I could get by very nicely without TV.

bubba.50
07-04-2015, 02:08 PM
the old song "Highway To Hell" comes to mind & it sometimes seems like we're in the fast lane.

RED333
07-04-2015, 04:01 PM
the old song "Highway To Hell" comes to mind & it sometimes seems like we're in the fast lane.
I am thinking of a rocket sled and "O" is holding the match.

TXGunNut
07-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Just reinforces why I no longer watch TV.

bhn22
07-04-2015, 06:00 PM
I still remember when sex was dirty, and the air was clean.

Now we are effectively divided, the thrifty and productive are mocked for their stupidity, and the lazy and improvident simply vote for whomever offers the most free stuff.

Blacksmith
07-04-2015, 08:55 PM
We all need this.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?104-Prepper-Talk

JWFilips
07-04-2015, 09:06 PM
Why Is it we can't watch tv any more? Why is it we can read the newspapers any more? Why is our world is disappearing? Are we letting it happen or are we just fading away?

"It's better to burn out then it is to rust" Neil Young

jcwit
07-05-2015, 02:03 AM
What has come of us as a country? You ask?

We have lost sight of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

Lloyd Smale
07-05-2015, 07:22 AM
aint that the truth and in a lot more places then this. If I said what I really thought runfiverun would have to put me in the corner.

FISH4BUGS
07-05-2015, 07:24 AM
Just one more reason I never watch awards shows.

I only watch a handful of TV shows...Big Bang Theory, Longmire and Manhattan.

I watch news, weather, movies and sports on TV.

If it weren't for live sporting events, I could get by very nicely without TV.
My son and I took our TV to the range 25 years ago and machine gunned it. Full magazine of 9mm's from a S&W 76 and a MAC 11. Finished it off with a 20 guage. We cleaned up the mess and went home. No more TV.
It was liberating. My kids are voracious readers and even now as adults don't own TV's.
You CAN live very nicely without your TV you know.
Try it...you'll like it!

Mod42
07-05-2015, 07:37 AM

TV is a reflection of the country's moral values at the moment!!

If we don't bring the Lord back into our lives, we will continue down "The Highway To Hell" picking up more speed with each breath that we take!

Hickory
07-05-2015, 07:45 AM
You're living in the twilight zone, where the vast majority of Americans have taken the step beyond weirdo, into the land of the insane. The only escape is to accept insanity as a way of life, to keep from going insane.

castalott
07-05-2015, 07:58 AM
My son and I took our TV to the range 25 years ago and machine gunned it. Full magazine of 9mm's from a S&W 76 and a MAC 11. Finished it off with a 20 guage. We cleaned up the mess and went home. No more TV.
It was liberating. My kids are voracious readers and even now as adults don't own TV's.
Try it...you'll like it!

I cancelled cable and made the TV a movie only box. I was tired of being lied to and my intelligence insulted by the programming and the commercials. It is wonderful! I only turn my cell phone on if I need it...this is wonderful too! The very worse prisons you have are the ones you build yourself...

runfiverun
07-05-2015, 09:05 AM
ignoring it doesn't make it go away.

I work with a bunch of 20 to 30 Y.O's what they spend their time doing on their cell phones would have been a felony about 40 years ago.
a big part of the issue is the girls are putting it out there for them to all look at.
no matter what we all think, women have a huge influence on a societies morals [it is them raising 75% of the kids alone anyway]
where do you think those girls get the ideas to act they way they do?

cajun shooter
07-05-2015, 09:30 AM
My oldest son of whom we are estranged at this time was coming to visit or so he said but then sat on my sofa with a phone in his hand. He was sending text messages the entire 30 or 40 minutes he was there. He told me that he would come and visit again later, I told him that if he did to please leave his phone in his vehicle. Later David

Don Purcell
07-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Women have an incredible amount of power over how a society thrives or dies. Females have the yay or nay on procreation. If they allow their standards to drop (and they have) and mate with slovenly males we get what we have. Just look in any Walmart. If they keep their standards high then the seeds of the duds die out. Unfortunately, the media and government also have helped direct standards to a lower level for their own benefit. It's hard to control a well informed intelligent population.

fatnhappy
07-05-2015, 09:42 AM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/p480x480/11412358_10204361474982448_8050762696810967982_n.j pg?oh=7cd649a0a157680f84b966a4db85d86d&oe=5619BD02

white eagle
07-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Fatnhappy
You nailed it on the head
Our real courageous men and women are putting their very lives on the line and would not think themselves
courageous,as did many,many before them.
I am ashamed of what is happening..

shooter2
07-05-2015, 10:24 AM

Amen!

"We have met the enemy and he is us" Pogo

TXGunNut
07-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Try it...you'll like it!

I recycled mine at Best Buy along with some printers I couldn't afford ink for. Seems I took a pickup load of obsolete electronics in that day, funny thing is most of them were actually in working order. I keep a TV/DVD player around to watch a movie most weekends.

williamwaco
07-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Amen!

"We have met the enemy and he is us" Pogo

Love Pogo. I used to have breakfast with him every day.

jcwit
07-05-2015, 12:00 PM
We've kept our TV, in fact X/Finity is our provider also for internet & phone. We enjoy watching the old Gunsmoke series as well as Father Knows Best. We also like The Vikings, Hell On Wheel's, Manhattan "WGN", wife likes some of the home improvement shows and the Flea Market shows, she was a dealer at Shipshewana Flea Market for 20 years before we retired. I watch Fox News, like the blonde's on that channel.

Oh Ya, Don't forget NASCAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Face it, I enjoy entertainment, people always have, it's why they built the coliseum.

BrassMagnet
07-05-2015, 12:02 PM
TV is a reflection of the country's moral values at the moment!!

If we don't bring the Lord back into our lives, we will continue down "The Highway To Hell" picking up more speed with each breath that we take!

I disagree.

Years ago they did a sex survey (Kinsey?) and we were amazed how many perverts there were and how we were so far out of the normal. Decades later, someone looked at the survey methodology and survey population. Mostly prison inmates. No wonder we were so far from "normal!"
Now television makes us all seem so abnormal. Is there a connection? Of course there is! Television is being used to brainwash us and force us to believe we must change our values and actions to become normal.
Television is the weapon being used to destroy our nation.

A pause for the COZ
07-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Downward spiral started when Uncle Sugar took over the role of the wage earning Husband in 50% of American homes.
The women know they can get a check and the fathers know they can procreate with out recourse.
Turns out Uncle Sugar is not a very good father.

white eagle
07-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Now television makes us all seem so abnormal. Is there a connection? Of course there is! Television is being used to brainwash us and force us to believe we must change our values and actions to become normal.

I have thought that very thing for quite some time
my son at age 25 without any hint from me also said that very thing
a have to walk out of the room while the news is on because of the nimwitted topics that are covered
watch only for local weather and sports intrests

dtknowles
07-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Try it...you'll like it!

Why did you have to destroy the TV to get your TV watching under control. We have three active TV's in the house. Nobody in the house watches much TV. The one in the Family Room gets mostly used for the Girl's workout video's or when we have a movie night. The one in the Master Bedroom lets me watch some news without disturbing the Girl's and an occasional episode of something on Netflix. The one in the daughters room is her video game display and she watches walking dead and a few other shows. I expect that there will be times when we will be glad we can get the Weather Channel and watch live hurricane updates until the power goes out. I see people swearing they don't have or use a cell phone but I was glad I had one during Katrina. Texting was the only way we could stay in touch with some of our friends and family.

I am not saying you are stupid for not having a TV. It is not needed, you are right but if you have self control and use them with moderation I think that is better. I sort of do encourage people that want to to live a more simple life, like the old Amish. If billions of the worlds people could be happy living a "simple" life. Clean water, fresh food, limited electricity, no internet or TV. Kind of like Monks or Nuns of a new order living a life of study and praise for the Lord, could be a different world.

Tim

dtknowles
07-05-2015, 01:08 PM

I have thought that very thing for quite some time
my son at age 25 without any hint from me also said that very thing
a have to walk out of the room while the news is on because of the nimwitted topics that are covered
watch only for local weather and sports intrests

l do sometimes find myself getting angry at new broadcasts for the bias that is clearly propaganda. I have to remind myself that I knew that would be the case when I turn the channel and to just filter out the bias or change to a different channel with a different bias when I can't take it anymore. Funny thing, it is the same here only I am one of the channels and I don't fool myself, I have a bias too.

Tim

Bent Ramrod
07-05-2015, 01:15 PM
I think the problem with the majority is terminal boredom because their lives are easy and meaningless. They either bought into the idea that the hated System wasn't worthy of their incredible talents or the idea that everything was stacked against them and it wasn't worth even trying to achieve anything. This gave them a high moral rationale to do little or nothing. At the same time, they could perpetually feel sorry for themselves as helpless "victims" in a "struggle," and identify with whatever other "victims" are being spotlighted at the moment.

Having committed themselves to a lifetime of underachievement, they have nothing to bolster their self esteem except to take advocacy positions on whatever fake "issue" is being fed to them, and no way to alleviate the tedium of their lives except the latest electronic toy, the latest App for that toy, or the latest sensation on TV or the Social Media. If the latter can be morphed into yet another civil-rights or planet-saving crusade, they are all on board, eager to show how much they Care without the effort necessary to really make improvements.

If they cock their snooks at Hitler across a gulf of 80 years, or the corrupt Church across a gulf of 600 years, we are expected to be breathless with admiration at their "courage," and be convinced that without their "courageous stand," Hitler and the Borgia Popes would be back to enslave us again tomorrow. Of course, we also must be polite enough (them being our betters and all) not to mention the real dangers they are deliberately ignoring today, or accuse them of being cowards living in an alternative universe where they are always right.

I think the root of the problem is that parents gave their children too much purchasing power from the '60's on. There was no "youth culture" when I was a kid because the Youths had small allowances (for which they were expected to help around the house) and the parents bought or had veto power over the purchase of whatever was all the rage with the kids. When they started bribing the kids to get good grades and paying them off so the kids wouldn't bother them they generated an alternate economy, which in turn generated an alternate set of values based on the idea that people could have anything they wanted just because they wanted it. These over pampered youths have now mutated into (to stretch a term almost beyond recognition) "adults.". They think the country should fill the role that their parents used to, while they devote their fine minds to the real issues, like how the Kardashians feel about Bruce and so forth.

dtknowles
07-05-2015, 01:33 PM
.......................big part of the issue is the girls are putting it out there for them to all look at. No matter what we all think, women have a huge influence on a societies morals [it is them raising 75% of the kids alone anyway]

This is a land mine for me so I am going to tread lightly. I fear that speaking clearly will get me labeled a misogamist, which is not the case. I do not hate women or consider them inferior. In a post by someone who will have to identify himself, I won't. The poster indicated that maybe it was giving women the vote that accelerated the decline of America. Now you point out that women raising most of our sons and daughters might be contributing to the problem.

Women deserve the right to vote and yes too many kids are being raised by their Moms without the proper influence of their Dads but that is the Dad's fault not the Mom's.

You are wrong about Women controlling procreation. Not many women get pregnant without the direct involvement of a man. A real man does not have kids he did not decide to have and intended to raise. Accidents are usually caused by negligence.

Ever since Eve, the problem with women has been the same and really it is a problem with men's lack of self control. I always considered it the "original sin". It is rare that a women makes a man do it. Men make women do it, it is called rape, man with no self control. Women tempt men into doing it, man with no self control.

Women end up with kids to raise and no father, bad deal. Women does bare much of the responsibility but we all share that burden.

Tim

montana_charlie
07-05-2015, 02:07 PM
yes too many kids are being raised by their Moms without the proper influence of their Dads but that is the Dad's fault not the Mom's.

You are wrong about Women controlling procreation. Not many women get pregnant without the direct involvement of a man.

I will simply state that a woman who goes to bed with a man who can't be trusted to act as a father has only herself to blame when raising the offspring on her own.

If she has more than one child, she is terminally stupid ... or duplicitous.

CM

dtknowles
07-05-2015, 04:10 PM
I will simply state that a woman who goes to bed with a man who can't be trusted to act as a father has only herself to blame when raising the offspring on her own.

If she has more than one child, she is terminally stupid ... or duplicitous.

CM

That's true too.

As she is terminally stupid she probably thinks she can do a good job of raising the children on her own.

Tim

runfiverun
07-05-2015, 09:15 PM
ahh but when they lower their standards or don't look for those superior genes....
or are 'told' what those genes should be like from misdirection, or are looking for that third monthly allotment of food and EBT card funds.

then what kinds of choices do you think they are going to make.
we can't focus our attention on one particular section of the population, or all we see is one part of the problem.

dtknowles
07-05-2015, 09:44 PM
ahh but when they lower their standards or don't look for those superior genes....
or are 'told' what those genes should be like from misdirection, or are looking for that third monthly allotment of food and EBT card funds.

then what kinds of choices do you think they are going to make.
we can't focus our attention on one particular section of the population, or all we see is one part of the problem.

Again agreed, except, it is not "the problem" it is one of many problems. If this country only had one problem it would have been fixed already. We have many problems some of them related and some that stand apart. If we fixed the too many kids being raised by single moms problem it would be a great victory but the war would not be over.

Tim

Powder Burn
07-05-2015, 09:50 PM

jonp
07-06-2015, 05:34 PM
TV? Never heard of it

quickdraw66
07-06-2015, 05:59 PM
a big part of the issue is the girls are putting it out there for them to all look at.
no matter what we all think, women have a huge influence on a societies morals [it is them raising 75% of the kids alone anyway]

Yeah! What's wrong with kids nowadays! :rolleyes:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/281662565874-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

I mean, they should have good role models!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/Pb1253.jpg

And not be obsessed with sex!

https://img1.etsystatic.com/039/0/5351396/il_fullxfull.649297669_n4pe.jpg

And just look at who they idolize. Many of the singers they like have been on drugs or in jail. It's absolutely crazy!

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/johnny-cash1.jpg

http://rpp.pixafy.netdna-cdn.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/af9751f3661a3491b2930f4decb97c49/9/3/9338_2.jpg

http://media.hotbirthdays.com/upload/2015/05/03/elvis-presley.jpg

http://www.flowerpowerpacha.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/jimi.jpg

http://91x.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/the-beatles2.jpg

I mean seriously, people back in the 50s, 60s, and 70s weren't like this at all. :rolleyes:

Just sayin. :P

BrassMagnet
07-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Again agreed, except, it is not "the problem" it is one of many problems. If this country only had one problem it would have been fixed already. We have many problems some of them related and some that stand apart. If we fixed the too many kids being raised by single moms problem it would be a great victory but the war would not be over.

Tim

I seldom agree with you, but I have to here.

Would fixing the courts to actually dispense justice help?
Is divorce ever really "no-fault?"
Does "family court" fix the family or cause the problem?
Since the "law" has become a game, does justice ever happen?

David2011
07-06-2015, 11:24 PM
Born in the mid fifties I had the full view of the degradation of American morals. Lucy and Ricky had separate beds. Three's Company brought us a hound dog pretending to be gay with constant innuendoes toward Janet and Chrissy. After that there was a string of prime time tv shows that made shacking up seem proper, normal and commonplace. About that time I earned a degree in broadcasting and was exposed to the college students that elected Jimmy Carter. I fully understood the decline from both an academic level and as an observer of the change.

Today the tv "role models" just hook up within hours of meeting and HGTV features gay and lesbian couples far out of proportion to their distribution in society, presented to us us as normal.

There are other factors to be sure. The drug culture, easy birth control along with uncommitted sex and a liberal assault from the media have delivered us to where we are today.

I'm not saying I was an angel; just giving an opinion based on living through the times combined with a formal education in the subject I consider to be the root of the decline.

David

Hickok
07-07-2015, 08:19 AM

We have lost sight of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!Brother, I totally agree.

Echo
07-07-2015, 11:33 AM
We've kept our TV, in fact X/Finity is our provider also for internet & phone. We enjoy watching the old Gunsmoke series as well as Father Knows Best. We also like The Vikings, Hell On Wheel's, Manhattan "WGN", wife likes some of the home improvement shows and the Flea Market shows, she was a dealer at Shipshewana Flea Market for 20 years before we retired. I watch Fox News, like the blonde's on that channel.

Oh Ya, Don't forget NASCAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Face it, I enjoy entertainment, people always have, it's why they built the coliseum.

Plus One - 'Texas Rising' was one helluva good series, Boston Legal was the best TV show EVER, and PBS has some good stuff, although I'm not married to it. There are some good, entertaining/enlightening shows on TV. My ex/GF hated Fox News - 'They're always yelling', and the women always wear short skirts and high heels. Well - I >like< to see good looking women, but I want to hear what they say - that's more important than how they look. Not to her... Did I say Ex?