PDA

View Full Version : 45 colt brass size issue

part-timer
07-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Shot some 45 colt factory loads in an EAA Bounty Hunter. Reloaded the brass a couple of times, no problems. Shot well enough for me. Tried to load the same reloaded brass into a New Ruger Blackhawk, the cases would only fit in about half way.

The cases were hammered into a Lee Classic whack a mole resizer first. What the heck is going on? Has anyone else had this
experience. Factory loads fit just fine into both, and an observation, loads that were shot in the Ruger and reloaded in the same
fashion, fit just fine in both.

It seems the cylinder of the Bounty Hunter has larger diameter holes, but after the resizing, shouldn't that take the brass back
to almost factory size? New at this metallic reloading, any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks,

Nueces
07-04-2015, 12:20 PM
I believe that the old Lee Loaders neck sized only.

part-timer
07-04-2015, 12:58 PM
I believe I heard this was the case with rifle rounds that were not straight walled as is with the 45 colt. Are you
saying the Lee classic loaders only resize the case where the boolit fits in?

bangerjim
07-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Spend some money. Get a Lee single stage press. Get a 4 set of carbide dies from Lee. I reload 45LC's all the time and the carbide sizing die goes all the way down. Never had any failure to loads in 6 different 45LC guns/rifles.

Forget the whack-a-mole antique. Yow will be happy!

banger

Sax.45
07-04-2015, 01:15 PM
I don't use the old lee loaders but It might be they only partially size the brass as Nueces said. I also recomend getting a decent press with the proper dies.

Virginia John
07-04-2015, 01:26 PM
I reload 45lc on a Dillon and have never encountered that problem. Is your sizing die carbide and does it go all the way down? I have also used the Lee single stage with great results.

part-timer
07-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Well fellows, looks like I'll have to make a small investment. Thanks for the answers. Looks like a single stage with some
dies is in my future.

fatelk
07-04-2015, 02:49 PM
If you load more than a small handful of round per year, you won't be sorry.

Char-Gar
07-04-2015, 03:16 PM
I am not familiar wit Lee drive in dies, but it is plain the brass was not full length sized.

Tackleberry41
07-04-2015, 03:31 PM
That style lee sizer only does enough so you can seat another bullet in it.

GoodOlBoy
07-04-2015, 04:09 PM
ok as has been said yes the lees classic loader only neck sizes. However you don't have to buy a ton of new equipment to fix the problem. Get a Lee 45 long colt carbide sizing die, and a single stage press. Do the resizing in the die, and everything else with the classic loader (whack a mole) That's how I do 90% of my reloading these days.

GoodOlBoy

part-timer
07-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Yep, GOODOLBOY, that was exactly what I plan to do. All my other calibers seem to work just fine with the Classic Loaders.
If a different (new) revolver not come on the scene, I would have never noticed a problem. I'm glad I asked, I figured
someone knew what the story was.

9.3X62AL
07-04-2015, 10:06 PM
45 Colt can have some wide tolerances in its chambers.

Pipefitter
07-04-2015, 10:55 PM
I see a visit from George in your future....... just sayin'.

MT Chambers
07-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Get a proper press and a good set of carbide dies, such as Redding, Lee is cheaper but who knows what size you will end up with.

Silver Jack Hammer
07-05-2015, 12:08 AM
Yup, had the same experience in college with a SBH. It was like those Lee whack a mole dies failed to resize down to the proper dimensions for chambering. I tossed the Lee dies and would you believe that the brass continued to be usable for decades after that abuse?

doc1876
07-05-2015, 10:12 AM
Looking at this from a different angle, the bounty hunter may be a tad too large, making reloading an issue. I say this because I have Rugers, Colts, and Ubertis, and I don't re-size, and they all take the ammo just fine.

w5pv
07-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Not trying to hi jack the thread but just some info that may save some one a little time in figuring a problem out.I have several hundred rounds that I loaded for a Uberti Cattleman 73 in the overall length of 1.6" and they shot fine in the Uberti but in my new Ruger Blackhawk some would chamber good until after I shot a few rounds and then would have troublegetting the round to chamber all the the way.I found that cleaning the cylinder and chamber after a few rounds fired they would chamber like they should.After a few rounds the chamber would get dirty and prevent the round from chambering correctly.I tried reseating the bullet a little shorter but that was shaving the bullet some so now I clean the clyinder and make sure the rounds will drop in and the clinder will turn freely.