PDA

View Full Version : Size vs Weight for surface area and accuracy

RegisG
07-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Now that I am alloying and testing hardness, there are more questions popping up. I understand that barrel/grove fit is most important for accuracy. BUT, if I cast a larger bullet with substantially increased tin, the weight will be reduced. Would a 120gr in a 158gr mold be more accurate than 120gr in a 120gr mold? In other words if I replace half the lead with tin in an alloy, the weight for any given size bullet will be reduced (by about 30% I believe). Weight vs volume difference: kg/cu.m 11340 lead vs 7280 tin.

Will the added length contacting the grove surface improve accuracy, or increase drag, or do nothing? There may be an obvious answer that I just don't know (other than cost).

Thanks,
Regis

scottfire1957
07-04-2015, 05:13 PM
Sounds like you need to do some casting and weighing and measuring and shooting.

Bzcraig
07-04-2015, 06:01 PM
The short answer is 'no' accuracy will not be better. I don't know if your hypothesis is correct but if it is, you would have a very long 120gr boolit thus unable to use 120gr load data and too light a boolit to use 158gr data. Tin is much more expensive than lead and there is nothing gained by increasing it beyond about 2/3%. Boolit fit and taking time to find what each gun likes is far more productive.

scottfire1957
07-04-2015, 06:40 PM
The short answer is 'no' accuracy will not be better. I don't know if your hypothesis is correct but if it is, you would have a very long 120gr boolit thus unable to use 120gr load data and too light a boolit to use 158gr data. Tin is much more expensive than lead and there is nothing gained by increasing it beyond about 2/3%. Boolit fit and taking time to find what each gun likes is far more productive.

Yeah, what I said.

RegisG
07-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Yep, the load data is a show stopper for me as I'm not able to create new (I just use published load data spreads).

Interesting but, not practical and maybe not possible.

Thanks
Regis

runfiverun
07-05-2015, 09:32 PM
the data part wouldn't slow me down a bit.
the globs of tin in the alloy would for sure make me not do it.

think about how tin reacts under stress and pressure now put it in a case and pound it with 30-k psi, and try to spin it in a real tight circle.