PDA

View Full Version : Is tin still used in medication tubes?

Jtarm
07-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Just wondering if anyone knew, I can't find anything on it.

Back in the 80s, I bought a couple pounds of scrap tin in the form of old ointment tubes. They were about the size of a travel toothpaste tube. They had obviously never been used.

OK, don't laugh, but the reason for my question is I use testosterone gel every morning, and the little metal tubes it comes in seem to have the exact same properties as the ones I used back in the 80s, though I haven't tried melting one yet (and not sure I want to.)

Thanks.

Bigslug
07-03-2015, 10:29 PM
I did a search for "metal ointment tubes", and the vibe I'm getting is that they are mostly aluminum these days. Under a buck a pound versus 20-ish for tin, little wonder.

Jtarm
07-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Ah, didn't that search. Yep, must be aluminum.

bangerjim
07-04-2015, 12:36 AM
I remember back in the 60's when I was a kid most tubes of stuff were Sn. B4 that some were ever Pb! It was cheap and non-toxic. Now they are mostly plastic. Al is attached by too many chemicals to be used in medicine tubes, and it has found to be potentially toxic with extended exposure.

And how about REAL TIN CANS........back a long time ago!

Just buy your Sn from people on here. Or luck out like I did last year and find 450# of it at a scrap yard! For the price of Pb.

scottfire1957
07-06-2015, 12:44 AM
Talk about spooky! I was wondering last week if my old toothpaste tubes were Pb!

RogerDat
07-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Talk about spooky! I was wondering last week if my old toothpaste tubes were Pb!

Depends made in USA or made in China? Oh wait it was the toothpaste itself from China that had the toxins. Never mind. I guess the Chicom version of the FDA is pretty much useless.

scottfire1957
07-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Well, for me, that was back in the 60's and 70's. Pre China stuff.