PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Easy Pecan Pie

xtimberman
03-25-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm sure that everyone has their favorite Pecan Pie recipe. We have several, but this one is simple and foolproof. If you want to impress yourself or someone else with a fabulous first-time attempt, this is the one to use.

Buy a 16 oz. bottle of Karo Light Corn Syrup and follow the directions on the bottle precisely. That is all. Do not use a "House Brand" syrup because it probably won't set the filling properly. I've given this recipe to folks who don't/won't listen and they whine later about the runny filling and soggy bottom pastry. They used another brand of syrup or made some changes to customize it. Make your changes later after you've made a few and figured out the cooking consequences.

We have plenty of other wonderful pecan pie recipes, but this one is fast and foolproof.

On Sunday morning, we met some folks who invited us over for an Easter mid-afternoon meal - just enough time to whip up one of these pies and have it cool down and set. It's long gone now.

xtm

Typecaster
03-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, you had me there until I got to the second paragraph. I didn't think there was a recipe easier or more foolproof than on the Karo bottle...especially with a frozen pipe crust.

FWIW, Karo comes in light or dark versions. I prefer the dark for pies, and always push the pecans under the filling. They float up again, and the filling on the top of the nuts makes a crunchy coating.

Every oven I've used seems to work better at 325 than 350, just add about 5 minutes baking time.

xtimberman
03-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Yep. We actually prefer pecan pie recipes using molasses or dark cane syrups like Steen's, but most folks don't like the stronger flavor. That's why I recommended the Light Karo. I was attempting to recommend a pie recipe for the uninitiated pecan pie novices. :)

Speaking of dark cane syrups - we put up a big supply of Steen's whenever we see it in a grocery - too expensive to order directly. I love it on pancakes, but novices usually turn their noses up at the black liquid. :-D

http://www.steensyrup.com/Merchant2/products.html

Supplies are iffy to nonexistant in some parts of the country, so I was reluctant to post a recipe using Steen's - even if they are foolproof, too. The late James Beard used large amounts of Steen's in his pastry recipes and had steady shipments of it sent to his kitchen.

xtm

Typecaster
03-27-2008, 09:54 PM
OK, I'm hooked. Can you send me recipes you've liked using dark cane syrup? Karo is corn syrup, not from sugar cane or sugar beets.

No. 1 son and his wife are heading to New Orleans for Jazzfest soon; I'll have him look for it there. Of course, that's if he can be pried away from Commander's Palace, Mother's, Acme Oyster Co., and the Camelia Grill...

xtimberman
03-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Sure. I hate to keep touting Steen's but check out their recipes. I've never tried their Pecan Pie recipe, but I have their apple/mince meat pie - or rather a modified version of it. Check out the bread pudding recipe - we've made that!

http://www.steensyrup.com/contents.html

I'll ask my wife to help me remember some that might be in one of her cookbooks. If I think of any, I'll send them in a PM.

Steen's isn't a New Orleans product, it's made in Abbeville, south of Lafayette. I'm sure they can find it anywhere in s. La., but I've seen it in stores all over the country - just never in any near where I live. Call the number and see if any grocery stores near you stock it.

xtm

TCLouis
03-30-2008, 12:36 PM
use 1/2 Kayro light syrup and 1/2 Dark syrup

04-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Got the karo. Made the pie. Outstanding, and as easy as you said.

Junior1942
04-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Try Steen's syrup over sourdough flapjacks. The combination is outstanding.