PDA

View Full Version : I just picked up some winchester for standard or magnum loads so my question is what

AZPaul
07-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Load do you use for them a standard or magnum? If I'm loading .45 colt, is the powder charge I use for the standard or magnum? I know normally you would use 10% less powder if you are using a magnum primer in a non-magnum load. Let me know

Duckiller
07-03-2015, 11:51 PM
I use Winchester large pistol primers in all cases that need large pistol primers. Load per manual, start low and gradually work up to max. No problems. Don't reduce loads just because you think it may be a good idea. Use them like any other primer and follow standard proceedures.

41mag
07-04-2015, 08:45 AM
I have been using the WIn primers since back in the late 70's. I load for several caliber revolvers and rifles, but the mainstay for the Win's is handguns. I do as others have suggested, start low and work up for accuracy. I don't worry about them being being hotter than any other brand. I have loaded from mild to wild and they have done the job every time.

runfiverun
07-04-2015, 11:12 AM
I used Winchester primers in my 45 colt and done load work ups from 4.5grs of clay's all the way through H-110. [using stuff like red-dot, unique, herco,800-x, steel, 2400]
all with the 452664 boolit pushed from about 900 fps all the way up past 1650 fps [2400/H-110] in my lever gun.
no problems no where along the way.

here is the thing, a magnum primer works in one of 2 way's.
either by throwing a hotter, higher heat flame or by throwing the same [normal primer type] flame for a much longer duration.
Winchesters primers work on the second principle only without the extra long time. [it just works longer than normal] but it is also a little bit hotter than other brands, which use a different priming compound.

utahtrapper
07-04-2015, 11:39 AM
1. Note if using H110 do not ever go below listed minimum load.

bangerjim
07-04-2015, 01:13 PM
I use the Win LPP's marked "for standard and mag loads" all the time. No problems at all.

Just read your load data books and load appropriately!

banger

TXGunNut
07-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Been using them for quite some time, work quite well for everything from light 45acp loads to heavy hunting loads in 45 Colt. I even use them for BP loads in 45 Colt and a few other BP cartridges. I recently picked up a couple thousand on sale but my primer storage can is full. Guess I need another can, lol.

bangerjim
07-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Get those cans! You can NEVER have enough primers squirreled away!

DonMountain
07-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Get those cans! You can NEVER have enough primers squirreled away!

What kind of "primer cans" do you all use?

rondog
07-09-2015, 01:16 AM
What kind of "primer cans" do you all use?
USGI .50cal ammo cans work good, so do 20mm cans. Primers aren't very heavy, so big GI ammo cans hold lots. Use one for each type of primer if you wish. I do something different though.

CastingFool
07-09-2015, 07:37 AM
You can store a lot of primers in a USGI ammo can, especially if you dump them out of the boxes they come in. :bigsmyl2:

rondog
07-09-2015, 10:02 AM
You can store a lot of primers in a USGI ammo can, especially if you dump them out of the boxes they come in. :bigsmyl2:
You actually just gave me an idea for storing large quantities of polished, prepped and primed brass.....

Mike H
07-09-2015, 09:03 PM

Not a good idea and if you are joking,it isn't a laughing matter.
Mike.

DrCaveman
07-10-2015, 12:21 AM
I like how runfiverun says it (you can always trust him for no BS), and it helps me undrstand why the WLP work so well with such a variety of loads

Light target 45acp loads? Check. The powder always gets fully lit, large case capacity allows for the benefit of longer duration primer burn. Ditto 45 colt

44 mag? Check. longer primer burn works for burning large amount of medium-burn rate powder without causing boolit push due to quick-burning primer prior to powder ignition negating my neck tension.

Good parts of both worlds. They are my go to primers, but it should be known that i am a reliability guy. If it goes bang and gets out the barrel, i am content. If it hits the target where i intend, i smile. If that target is a dead deer, then i am giddy.