PDA

View Full Version : Maguire's wash and wax experience

omgb
07-03-2015, 02:01 PM
So, I tried it in my thumbler's tumbler with 250 mixed 38 sp cases and stainless media. Ran it 4 hours and wow! Talk about clean bright and dazzeling. Then I run a few through the carbide sizer. Dang! It's almost as if they were lubed. I am sold. No more Dawn and Lemishine for me. Love the new car smell too

KenH
07-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Sounds like a neat idea - I've never had a tumbler for cleaning brass, but been thinking of it. Pretty shiny brass sure does look good.

Ken H>

Grasslander
07-03-2015, 02:43 PM
I have used Armour all wash and wax with the same results. Like you said, it works better than dawn, but I still use a little Lemishine because of our water out here.

runfiverun
07-03-2015, 05:37 PM
they are lubed, you just put wax on them.
I use a polymer car wash and it duplicates the nu-finish in the walnut tumblers.

Bayou52
07-03-2015, 06:20 PM
These results were obtained in a Thumlers Model B with 1 ounce of Blue Coral wash & wax and 1/4 TSP Lemi-Shine with 4 hours tumble time. I'm continously amazed at the results....even after 3 years of wet tumbling......

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg578/Bayou413/IMG_20150611_111556_zpsvmsnexwm.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Bayou413/media/IMG_20150611_111556_zpsvmsnexwm.jpg.html)

Bayou52

omgb
07-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Looks like mine do

Bayou52
07-04-2015, 11:52 AM
they are lubed, you just put wax on them.
I use a polymer car wash and it duplicates the nu-finish in the walnut tumblers.

Hi, runfiverun -

Just curious - what brand of polymer car wash do you use?

Bayou52

kfarm
07-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Been using dawn and limshine like everyone else but tried Maguires today. Ran them for 4 hours and they do look good but are y'all rinsing good with fresh water after the run or just letting them drain to keep the wax on? I've got some real dirty brass and the wash/wax comes out filthy like the dawn.

Bayou52
07-04-2015, 11:31 PM
Been using dawn and limshine like everyone else but tried Maguires today. Ran them for 4 hours and they do look good but are y'all rinsing good with fresh water after the run or just letting them drain to keep the wax on? I've got some real dirty brass and the wash/wax comes out filthy like the dawn.

After wet tumbling, I immediately rinse numerous times with cold tap water to get as much of the auto wash & wax and suds out of the drum. Then, the brass and pins get thrown into the media separator......

Bayou52

omgb
07-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Me too

bangerjim
07-05-2015, 03:38 PM
How does the stuff work without the pins? I have none and really do not want to go down that "timken roller bearing pin" path.

I get excellent results using my vib with walnut shells and a TSP of BonAmi cleaner in there. Then, to rinse off any of the dry media, I rinse in VERY hot citric acid solution and then VERY hot water.

banger

Coconino
07-05-2015, 05:04 PM
I am going to try this to solve a problem I have had going the Dawn/Lemishine route. I noticed on .45 acp but also on 9 mm that I would get brass streaks building up on the Dillon powder funnel. It had to be removed using copper fouling cleaner.

I showed it to the folks at Dillon and they speculated that the brass was "too" clean-that a litter dirt acts like a lube. I have been using some One Shot on the inside of the case a handful of cases per 100 loaded and this got rid of the streak build up. Off to the auto parts store.

runfiverun
07-05-2015, 09:48 PM
I'm using maguires ultimate it has both the polymers and the carnuba wax.
I also use the crystal [maguires again] it has just the carnuba wax in it, I prefer the ultimate it is thicker like a Gel.
and all it takes to do the job is about 1/2 tsp.

a little carbon on the cases does make them a bit slipperier it is like having fine graphite on/in the cases.
I prefer to have the clean cases, and if I have a little sticking on the Dillon powder funnel I use a little lanolin/castor oil/neets foot mixture that I put a wipe of in the palm of my left hand and I just twist the case mouth on it about every 10-12th case and this keeps that from happening.

I also use the same lube for swaging and case sizing.
for neck sizing I put some on a bore mop and quickly push/twist it back out of the case neck, so it glides over the expander ball much, much, easier.