PDA

View Full Version : Should have used a boolit!

Silvercreek Farmer
07-03-2015, 01:59 PM
So I went to see Jurassic World earlier this week.

The "hero" was toting a Marlin 95 in 45-70 and using semi-jacketed soft points. None of his shots seem to be effective on the subject. I think it was due to lack of penetration. I'm pretty sure 500 grains of hard cast boolit would have worked much better!

Also disappointed that the fellow with the S&W 460 never discharged the revolver despite a raptor attempting to eat him. Perhaps he was concerned about his hearing given he was inside a hollow log at the time...

runfiverun
07-03-2015, 04:01 PM
yep no penetration.
maybe that's why I don't write horror movies, they'd be pretty short.

look,,,,, a killer with a knife at the back door,,,, looks like he is attempting to break in.
foom,foom,foom, hello 911? send an ambulance and the mortician.
ROLL CREDITS.

thanks, for coming..

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-03-2015, 04:07 PM
yep no penetration.
maybe that's why I don't write horror movies, they'd be pretty short.

look,,,,, a killer with a knife at the back door,,,, looks like he is attempting to break in.
foom,foom,foom, hello 911? send an ambulance and the mortician.
ROLL CREDITS.

thanks, for coming..
You could make it like one of those hippie dippie artsy fartsy movies, and zoom in, on the river of blood flowing from the deceased the whole time, til the ambulance and the mortician arrives...as well as (and most importantly) the defensive shooter's conversation with them, about casting and loading defensive ammo.

runfiverun
07-03-2015, 05:29 PM
well that just extended the movie by 3 day's...or 30 minutes if I use all my knowledge :lol:.
they could do back scenes and run things backwards [like pulp fiction] or sumthin I guess,, I got another hour of screen time to fill.

gon2shoot
07-03-2015, 05:46 PM
foom?........... not a black powder load huh?

Wolfer
07-03-2015, 07:42 PM
In the first Jurassic movie the PH was using a 12 gauge with low brass loads. He also didn't load his gun until within spitting distance.
I had to wonder how he ever survived Africa.

In the movie (The Grey ) Leim Neison sets his rifle down with a box of ammo. As I recall the rifle was a 700 rem but until the movie I never knew they were chambered in 12 gauge.

Who writes this stuff??

TXGunNut
07-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Well, if we ever have a T-Rex season here in TX I like my chances....but I may need a little help with the taxidermy bill, lol.

runfiverun
07-03-2015, 09:13 PM
I could swing one of the arms maybe..

foom is what I hear when shooting in a building, that and a lot of ringing.

458mag
07-04-2015, 10:27 AM
500 grn Soft point or full jacket. All I want to know is how to load them for rexs with the obvious lack of recoil I saw in that movie. I have owned several marlin beast killers and they were not fun to shoot in full bore medicine!!
So I went to see Jurassic World earlier this week.

The "hero" was toting a Marlin 95 in 45-70 and using semi-jacketed soft points. None of his shots seem to be effective on the subject. I think it was due to lack of penetration. I'm pretty sure 500 grains of hard cast boolit would have worked much better!

Also disappointed that the fellow with the S&W 460 never discharged the revolver despite a raptor attempting to eat him. Perhaps he was concerned about his hearing given he was inside a hollow log at the time...

458mag
07-04-2015, 10:37 AM
And also, earlier in the movie, they were using non leathal tasers to make the the lizards behave. So the guy in the log was brobably wishing he had his taser.

Budzilla 19
07-05-2015, 09:05 AM
That raptor trying to get the guy in the log was probably not able to smell him because he didn't smell like a human!...........about then! (Oh, wait, that scene was in another Jurassic park movie, my bad!) and I agree about the Marlin gun in 45/70, ever fire one of those things? And with a recoil like a mad mule, and the muzzle blast! That actor's hearing would be electronically enhanced for the restof his life !!! As for Rex hunting, anything that doesn't have a carriage and a lanyard to fire it, ain't big enough for me! Hahaha! (I love this site!). Have a happy Fourth of July!

w5pv
07-06-2015, 08:47 AM
I just cannot get into watching all the fakery that is in the movies,I had rather watch some idiot that is explaining what an animal is thinking when he is about to get ate by another.Still fakery but of a differnt type.

rondog
07-06-2015, 09:10 AM
I still say that for T-Rex's, I'd want nothing smaller than a Barrett M82A1, with Raufoss rounds. Yeah, I know - I can't have Raufoss ammo. But there ain't no dinosaurs running amok either.

Tackleberry41
07-06-2015, 02:48 PM
Its a movie, they somehow missed that huge dinosaur with a M134 gatling gun. I really doubt a dinosaur would take many rounds out of a 45-70. But hey they did at least have a leupold on it vs some cheap chinese scope.

rockrat
07-06-2015, 04:45 PM
rondog--What makes you think you can't have Raufoss ammo? Unless its a Denver thing.

Should have had the script go like: Female- "Never seen bullets like that before, they are so bright and shiny" and he replies --"The bullets are made of Silver, just like in the Lone Ranger movie."

Looks like they forgot to "lead" the dinosaur in its run, so shot behind. Guess they were shooting with the "spray and pray" mentality, hoping for a hit.

MtGun44
07-06-2015, 10:52 PM
I have to agree with runfiverun - If I wrote any horror movies they would be pretty
boring. Wouldn't go in the creepy basement without a flashlight and 1911, and
would pop the guy with the knives on his fingers or the axe or chainsaw and story
over after the first scene. Good move in real life, but really boring in a movie.

As to T Rex - I'd want the full hard cast or FMJ 405 or 500 FP at about 1750 in my
GG. I HAVE hunted with it, and mine is an early vented barreled version, and noise is
not too bad. Blue wildebeest and zebra went down to one show with Rem 405 SP,
but today I would use 405 GC boolits. I think they would "do" a T Rex if placed well.

Bill

missionary5155
07-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Greetings
I am still going to vote on the 500 Alaskan in a Model 1886. When things can bite seriously and run far faster than I can I want "too much gun".
The Barrett would be fine in a fixed position but I do not see me waiting for any big lizard to come trotting along a path looking for his next snack.
Mike in Peru

TXGunNut
07-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Hmmmm....nobody's started an "Ideal T-Rex Hunting Rifle" poll yet? ;-)

35 shooter
07-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Hmmmm....nobody's started an "Ideal T-Rex Hunting Rifle" poll yet? ;-)
Was thinking the same thing....my vote is a 35 whelen with a 358009 boolit @ 2200fps.
[smilie=s:

shootsblanks
07-11-2015, 10:50 AM
gm6 lynx with an eo-tech for t-rex hunting.... heavy? yes, but my life is worth a sore shoulder and back, i like walnut and blue just as much as the next guy but that's a lot of reptile!

JimP.
07-11-2015, 01:00 PM
20mm oerlikon aught to do it, just wouldnt want to tote it very far....

quilbilly
07-11-2015, 01:54 PM
Wife and I really enjoyed the movie. We went to an old-fashion drive-in movie to see it two nights ago. Great fun. I did get a chuckle out of the lack of recoil from what I thought at the time was a 450 Marlin but I was impressed that the star used a lever gun and not a "black rifle". I see more and more levers on TV and in the movies these days which makes me smile.

Powder Burn
07-11-2015, 02:01 PM
You don't take a small gun to a Raptor fight.....Arnold knows:

aspangler
07-11-2015, 06:24 PM
My vote goes to a bolt action 45-70 loaded with Barnes 500 gr. soilds at 2000 fps. Hard on shoulders but harder on dangerous game.

RogerDat
07-11-2015, 07:57 PM
If I made these sort of horror movies the actors would have to have a lot more dialog. Would not make them all so stupid they end up dead. Can you say "red shirt" Mr. Spock?

With all the dead bodies in the house I'm not liking that dark cellar much, Hank why don't you toss a frag grenade down there before we go to investigate.

Yes mam we are sort of exposed out here in this pile of rocks in the middle of a clearing but since we have night vision equipment and scopes, with the ability to reach out and put a round into a frogs nose at 500 meters this is a good spot. Much better than that little clearing back there with the heavy underbrush coming within a few feet of it.

Billy you take first over watch from up there, 2 hr. first rotation on guard duty we're all tired and I don't want anyone falling asleep. We can go to 4 hrs. after we have all had a nap.

Well Hank we all might as well just wait while you go back to the truck and get your backup piece in case your rifle jams. Those teenagers in the haunted woods are probably already dead like all the rest so no point in rushing in unprepared. Take Joe with you to watch your back when you go.

Nope, now that we are forted up in a secure, defensible position we are not going to go out and wander around. We are going to get ready and let the bad guys come to us where we choose the terrain.

Everyone got 300 rounds of ammo in 10 magazines? Check. Backup piece with 60 rounds in 4 magazines? Check. Night vision equipment working? Check. Ok now we form up and go into the woods after whatever slaughtered those cows. And stick with your buddy so you can watch each others backs.

No John leave the cross bow and take the lever action in 44 magnum. Couple of extra boxes of shells too.

If the radio doesn't work we will just fire a couple of these flares each of us has so you will know where to hit the nest with an air strike.

These guys would live and then we would need to have dialog for them in order to have a movie. Of course if it was a guy movie, not a whole lot of dialog. "Good shot" "yep that worked" "want a beer or one of these wine coolers" "well you shot the t-rex so your going to have to figure out how to skin it"

458mag
07-11-2015, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=RogerDat;3309If I made these sort of horror movies the actors would have to have a lot more dialog. Would not make them all so stupid they end up dead. Can you say "red shirt" Mr. Spock?

With all the dead bodies in the house I'm not liking that dark cellar much, Hank why don't you toss a frag grenade down there before we go to investigate.

Yes mam we are sort of exposed out here in this pile of rocks in the middle of a clearing but since we have night vision equipment and scopes, with the ability to reach out and put a round into a frogs nose at 500 meters this is a good spot. Much better than that little clearing back there with the heavy underbrush coming within a few feet of it.

Billy you take first over watch from up there, 2 hr. first rotation on guard duty we're all tired and I don't want anyone falling asleep. We can go to 4 hrs. after we have all had a nap.

Well Hank we all might as well just wait while you go back to the truck and get your backup piece in case your rifle jams. Those teenagers in the haunted woods are probably already dead like all the rest so no point in rushing in unprepared. Take Joe with you to watch your back when y

Nope, now that we are forted up in a secure, defensible position we are not going to go out and wander around. We are going to get ready and let the bad guys come to us where we choose the terrain.

Everyone got 300 rounds of ammo in 10 magazines? Check. Backup piece with 60 rounds in 4 magazines? Check. Night vision equipment working? Check. Ok now we form up and go into the woods after whatever slaughtered those cows. And stick with your buddy so you can watch each others backs.

No John leave the cross bow and take the lever action in 44 magnum. Couple of extra boxes of shells too.

If the radio doesn't work we will just fire a couple of these flares each of us has so you will know where to hit the nest with an air strike.

These guys would live and then we would need to have dialog for them in order to have a movie. Of course if it was a guy movie, not a whole lot of dialog. "Good shot" "yep that worked" "want a beer or one of these wine coolers" "well you shot the t-rex so your going to have to figure out how to skin it"[/QUOTE]Once heard of an old professional hunter who toted a 600 nitro double rifle. One of his clients asked him "Why do you use a 600 nitro?". He replied "Because the @$&&%s wont make a 700 nitro!!!

458mag
07-11-2015, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=458mag;3309696 I once heard of a Professional Hunter who toted a 600 nitro. One of his fellow hunters asked him "Why do you tote such a huge double in 600 nitro?" He replied,"Because the !@#$%s wont make a 700 nitro!!

Geezer in NH
07-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Well DUH it was a movie

RogerDat
07-12-2015, 08:49 AM
How bad is no recoil? I grew up thinking a six shooter could hit 10 Indians or bad guys moving fast at 70 yards with darn near every shot. And that was in the hands of "also starring" The star got 4 more shots in his pistol and could shoot as well from horseback as everyone else did standing.

Guns never ran out of bullets unless you were close enough to the bad guy for a fist fight. Or the bad guy was about to escape. Actually that one sort of makes sense.

Merc41
07-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Just think, all you guys with the large .50 caliber barret rifles will have some big game to hunt. Dino on the bar-b, hmmm, with some sweet baby ray's bar-b-que sauce and ice cold brewski, yum yum.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-12-2015, 01:55 PM
There was one horror film, [I think it would qualify] in which the threatened female got it right. It starred Jeff Bridges and Glenn Close. She figured out he was the murderer and he knew he was in trouble. That evening he came charging into her bedroom wearing a ski mask. She was in bed reading a book. When he jumped up onto the foot of her bed holding a large knife, she pulled a S&W 357 from under the cover and blew his butt out onto the carpet. Now admittedly it didn't happen in the first reel but you must admit , she got 'er did. How many times do you see a movie in which some dirt bag terrorizes a women thru the entire flick and when she finally shoots the creep she suddenly decides to sit dawn next to his bod and take a little rest, only to have him reach over and grab her by the throat. It either happens that way or he comes at her with a weapon and she manages to knock him down with a lamp, vase or whatever and instead of grabbing the weapon he has just dropped, she screams and tries to run away, all the while waving her arms and screaming. Of course I don't get to write the scripts either.

RugerFan
07-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Saw the movie Friday night with SWMBO. I was pleased with the hero's choice of rifle, but did notice he shot twice in a row without working the lever. Must be a special model.

popper
07-12-2015, 04:45 PM
AR camo'd like lever so the feds won't take it.
Actually saw the first one when nothing else was on TV. Got tired of all the gals ( & jenner?)screaming - went into the other room and logged on here.
Oh, saw that the sun is going out in 2030 so don't worry about T Rex. Besides, they have determined that T-Rex is a garbage eater, like a buzzard, as it had feathers - not skin. Not a hunter.