PDA

View Full Version : Range day for 43 Spanish RB

ohland
07-03-2015, 01:15 PM
About like a .50 caliber muzzle loader shooting Maxi-Balls.

Belle would have put the target up, but she doesn't have thumbs.

The beginning of frustration.

Notice the close personal friend under the bench. After the old retrobate wanted me to finish the next ten rounds, Belle and him went back to look for chipmunks by the black powder lodge. If she has something to do, she's pretty solid.

Mix of sight settings here, but other than the gun rolling and jumping up off the front rest, it seems to be holding up and down. Afyer we got back, the OR found the scope base was loose. Note to all, a 2x scope at 50 yards is not for those with mature eyesight.

Cases sealed up good, shooting @ 80 grains of black. Mix of Bertram Brass and Jameson.

I would like to ream this to .44-77, and get a good match between the .445 grove and the boolit.

Patches were feelthy (black), a little bit of lead sprinkles, hard to see.

Easier to fire off-hand, your upper body can roll with the recoil.

Argentino
07-10-2015, 08:24 AM
I bought a .43 Spanish RRB (cavalry carbine config.-just not an original one but a cut down rifle that looks almost exactly the same). I plan to do some load development as well. What bullet/lube combination did you use?

Thanks.

p.s.
great range buddy you have there. Britanny Spaniel, right? My favorite dog breed, I have one too. One of the smartest breeds around. He always enjoys watching my casting/cleaning/reloading sessions at home. Great partners for quail hunting, too.

ohland
07-10-2015, 08:38 AM
I bought a .43 Spanish RRB (cavalry carbine config.-just not an original one but a cut down rifle that looks almost exactly the same). I plan to do some load development as well. What bullet/lube combination did you use?

Thanks.

p.s.
great range buddy you have there. Britanny Spaniel, right? My favorite dog breed, I have one too. One of the smartest breeds around. He always enjoys watching my casting/cleaning/reloading sessions at home. Great partners for quail hunting, too.

Latest and cleanest load is 5gr 5744 under 70gr FFg, .060 card over powder. Jameson brass (now Captech, but marked "JBA").

The old boolits used were probably .445, sized down to .439, which doesn't help the Lub grooves. If your chamber won't take bigger than .439 boolits, and the groove is .445, you need to use a softer alloy, down around 12 BHN or so.

Off-hand, the recoil isn't bad, but off the bench with the 22" barrel, you might want a sandbag between your shoulder and the butt. It sure jumps off the rest when you touch it off.

That is the fast nuclear powered attack Brittany, USN Belle. She has a number of speeds, 1 (insane almost on the ground) to 5 (pleasant trot). She normally is at 2, and on wet days, you can hear her hooves, er, paws, hitting the ground. She will hunt most anything, once she figures out that you want it.

Bob Busetti
07-11-2015, 10:11 PM
I have found that my 348 formed cases will easily hold 78.0 grs of 3f black by just dumping the powder in the case, don't know how much more will fit by using a drop tube.