PDA

View Full Version : New additions to the family...

375supermag
07-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Hi...

In an attempt to move on from the loss of our beloved Black Lab, Wesson last Friday, we decided that our house was just too empty.

So...Wednesday evening we went to look at some Lab puppies that a local family had put up for sale. They are only 6 weeks old, so they won't be weaned and ready to leave their mother for a couple of weeks.

They had 5 puppies, two Yellow Labs and three Black labs.

The biggest, strongest,most active pup is a male Yellow Lab...the proverbial pick of the litter. He will be coming to live with us in a couple of weeks.

The only other pup that wasn't spoken for was a slightly smaller Black Lab male. Very active and a bit noisy for a 6 week old pup. He will be coming to live with us as well.

Once again, we will be a family of dog lovers with dogs. They are not a replacement for Wesson...they will be his successors.

Just as one must get back on a horse, if it throws you, I believe that if your heart is broken, they best way to heal it, is to set yourself up for another broken heart down the road(hopefully, many years from now).

This will be the second time we have raised litter mate Labs...Wesson's litter mate, Smith, was a female Black Lab. They were inseparable until she died a little over three years ago.

Something had to be done...my wife is still crying over Wesson. In a couple of weeks, she will have two new babies to mother and spoil.

I will try to post some pictures of the pups when they move in on July 15th.

375supermag
07-03-2015, 09:17 AM
FWIW...Puppies are expensive...I have just spent my disposable (discretionary) income for the month.

Bad Water Bill
07-03-2015, 09:46 AM
FWIW...Puppies are expensive...I have just spent my disposable (discretionary) income for the month.

And you now have 2 pals that will bring a smile to your face for many years to come.

PRICELESS[smilie=s:

375supermag
07-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Yeah... looking forward to getting acquainted and the training...not so much the house breaking. LOL...all part of it.

Working on names...couple of ideas, but nothing concrete yet.

I think we need to get them here and learn their personalities before we hang names on them.

Need to go to the pet store and find some puppy-sized collars...they will need to be on leads when outside until they learn the boundaries of the Estate.
They will have about 1-3/4 acres to explore, including a 1/4 woodlot right behind the house and a bramble-filled brushy run-off between our estate and the neighbor's yard. A few rabbits in there for them to chase.

We live across the road from a state park with more than a hundred acres of hilly terrain to exercise their need to run unrestricted by property lines and roads.

Artful
07-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Congratulations

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gyVJ8bjGwMA/VX1PJJxFCNI/AAAAAAAAPoM/AEGmDan5Jto/s1600/posing-puppy.png

Puppies are a handful, pick up anything you don't want chewed now while you still have it in good shape.

Even getting puppies from a shelter is expensive, but it's the only unconditional love you can buy.

375supermag
07-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Congratulations

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gyVJ8bjGwMA/VX1PJJxFCNI/AAAAAAAAPoM/AEGmDan5Jto/s1600/posing-puppy.png

Puppies are a handful, pick up anything you don't want chewed now while you still have it in good shape.

Even getting puppies from a shelter is expensive, but it's the only unconditional love you can buy.

That's one cute little illustration...

Sort of reminds me of the look on Wesson's face when he wanted a snack or to play.

And, yeah, a puppy is the only way to get unconditional love. Or loyalty, for that matter.

Bad Water Bill
07-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Congratulations

Back in 02 mom sent me off to find her a new dog as her pal had a heart attack and was found dead that mourning.

I found her new love and took mom over to the shelter to look at the ???? breed of undetermined age.

At the sight of mom the new girl jumped up on moms lap and snuggled her head against moms neck.

Yes even back then it cost over $150.00 for the dog.

That dog never left moms side till mom passed at age 95.

Truly money well spent for the love shared by that inseparable pair.

lightman
07-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Congrats on the new family members. Looking forward to your pictures.

rush1886
07-03-2015, 02:42 PM
There is simply NOTHING in the universe, to compare with the unconditional love of a K9! Best Regards to you and yours, Mr. 375SuperMag!

runfiverun
07-03-2015, 03:57 PM
2 at one time man, that's a handful.
did you know you can train a dog to wake your wife up at 1:30 am every day?........ yep :lol:

quack1
07-03-2015, 04:43 PM
After having labs for the last 30+ years, and training them to hunt, the OP's phrase " The biggest, strongest,most active pup is a male" made me smile. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing where labs are concerned. My first one, big, strong and active, was a nightmare to train, extremely smart, but also extremely headstrong. Great hunter, very obedient, but only up to the time I sent him out on a retrieve, then it was all his way. Absolutely wouldn't pay the least bit of attention to the hand signals, even when he couldn't see the bird fall. Amazingly, to me, he learned to watch which way the gun was pointing when I shot, then he'd know which way to go when I gave him the release word. After him, I never picked the most dominant, or the most timid of the litter. I couldn't imagine being without a lab around the house, or hunting without one.

dilly
07-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Don't forget to post some pictures when you get them; everybody loves a good puppy picture.

TXGunNut
07-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Good job. I've been without a dog for over a year and it's been too long. I still talk to my Buddy now and then, seems like he's still here sometimes. I don't think he'll mind if I get a puppy.

JeffinNZ
07-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Photos man! Quit teasing us.

MaryB
07-03-2015, 11:28 PM
I did not pick my first lab Misty, she picked me. Rest of the litter was hiding behind mom and she waddled over, squatted, and peed on my boot... Guy I got her from said she was the runt and hid from anyone new so I figured I was chosen. She was the best dog I ever had. Knew a half dozen hand signals plus 2 dozen verbal commands, was in tune while we hunted and often anticipated what I needed done...

robg
07-04-2015, 05:40 AM
house aint a home without a dog.

375supermag
07-04-2015, 08:00 AM
After having labs for the last 30+ years, and training them to hunt, the OP's phrase " The biggest, strongest,most active pup is a male" made me smile. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing where labs are concerned. My first one, big, strong and active, was a nightmare to train, extremely smart, but also extremely headstrong. Great hunter, very obedient, but only up to the time I sent him out on a retrieve, then it was all his way. Absolutely wouldn't pay the least bit of attention to the hand signals, even when he couldn't see the bird fall. Amazingly, to me, he learned to watch which way the gun was pointing when I shot, then he'd know which way to go when I gave him the release word. After him, I never picked the most dominant, or the most timid of the litter. I couldn't imagine being without a lab around the house, or hunting without one.

Hi...

I know all about headstrong Labs...Wesson's litter mate Smith was as hardheaded a dog as you would ever find.

She eventually became a pretty good well-behaved dog, but it took a lot of time and patience.

I think she learned most of it by observing Wesson getting praised when he did what was expected....I don't think she ever wanted the praise but she wanted the biscuits and other doggie treats.

I have managed to train Dobermans, Malamutes, Labs, Beagles and a few mixed breeds(mutts) and I am pretty sure that patience and positive reinforcement is all that is required to train most any dog...that and a well-stocked supply of biscuits and other treats.

Whether or not these two will be hunters...we'll see. The last two Labs were thrilled to go hunting but actually doing any hunting was something they never really figured out. Didn't really matter to me...they were acquired more as companion dogs than as hunters, although that would have been a bonus.

Mytmousemalibu
07-04-2015, 01:50 PM
New doggie names? Hensley & Gibbs? Well Hensley sounds pretty cute for a pup anyways, lol! Congrats on the new rascals! They will help heal your broken hearts with the best medicine, puppy love!

375supermag
07-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Hi...

We are tossing around some names...

So far, Thor and Loki are the front runners.

Thor for the big strong Yellow Lab.
Loki for the slightly smaller Black Lab.

Thor and Loki because they are brothers..we'll see. May not fit them once we get to know them.

Bad Water Bill
07-04-2015, 02:13 PM
WE ALL have 14 days of impatient waiting to see the pictures and finally possibly VOTE on their names.

Now if the dogs AND their new parents will approve remains to be seen.:bigsmyl2:

375supermag
07-04-2015, 06:09 PM
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/375supermag/IMG_20150701_180422_214.jpg (http://s802.photobucket.com/user/375supermag/media/IMG_20150701_180422_214.jpg.html) http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/375supermag/IMG_20150701_180442_762.jpg (http://s802.photobucket.com/user/375supermag/media/IMG_20150701_180442_762.jpg.html)

Hi...

My wife took a couple of pics of the new pups with her cellphone.

That's me on the left...that's my son on the right.

375supermag
07-04-2015, 06:14 PM
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/375supermag/IMG_20131113_121037_679.jpg (http://s802.photobucket.com/user/375supermag/media/IMG_20131113_121037_679.jpg.html)Here is a picture of our buddy, Wesson. Still hard to believe he's gone.

rollmyown
07-05-2015, 04:40 PM
How much joy can you fit in such a tiny package!

2thepoint
07-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Had a black lab named Moses for 16 yrs.......most headstrong creature on earth. As a pup he survived rat poison and as an adolescent a farmers birdshot load!!
Best of luck with your new additions, they'll keep you in shape!