PDA

View Full Version : 375 Winchester's???

Alangaq
03-25-2008, 02:00 AM
So, am I the only one on the forum shooting the 375 Winchester? Just curious as I have two of them, one is an older BB94 and the other is a microgroove pre-safety Marlin. Have been barking Lymans gas check flat points out of then at around 1900 fps with good accuracy and no leading using 50/50 lube. Anybody got favorites for this cartridge? Am going to try and spank a black bear with one of them this spring!:Fire:

6pt-sika
03-25-2008, 03:22 AM
I have a pair of the Marlin 375's .

In one I only shoot jacketed and in the other the only two cast bullets I have tried are the Ranch Dog 379-210 and the Ranch Dog 379-235 .

Killed a deer this past season with the 379-210 , medium sized Virginia 7 point whitetail at about 25 yards when I shot . Deer ran about 40 yards after the shot and piled up !

6pt-sika
03-25-2008, 03:24 AM
I have that Lyman 264 grain GC mould although I have yet to shoot that bullet in my 375 . Use it mainly in my 38-55's . Also have pretty decent luck with the RCBS 37-250GC in the 38-55's .

JSH
03-25-2008, 07:55 AM
I shoot the 375, sorry no rifle though, TC. I was quite happy with the results of the 375449 and SR4759.
I have used both 375 brass and reformed 3030 with no ill rsults from either using the same load.
Jeff

Harry O
03-25-2008, 08:10 AM
I have two of them. An early Winchester Big Bore and a Ruger No. 3. Have used both jacketed and cast. Usually use a full case of RL-7.

Four Fingers of Death
03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
I have one, an XTR style Big Bore. I have only shot Jacketed so far and have about 50 left. Then I will get the finger out and shoot cast boolits. This is a nice rifle, with a steel Lyman reciever sight, I like it a lot.

bigbear
03-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Got one, love it. Scary accurate with Williams receiver sight. I've only shot jacketed reloads so far but have bought some cat bullets to try.

garandsrus
03-25-2008, 10:44 AM
I have a Win 94 BB that is a lot of fun to shoot... Lyman 375449 does very nicely!

John

castshooter-too
03-25-2008, 12:05 PM
I've got the top eject win. in 375 win. Only shoot the hornady 220 as I shoot cast in my 1916 38-55 wcf with the lyman 375248 pb with 20 gr IMR4198 with
lyman#2 alloy.

BRUCE

NickSS
03-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I had a Marlin with micro groove barrel but it would not shoot anything I put in it incleding .377inch Barns bullets. Best it would do was about 4 inches at one hundred yards. So I sent it back to Marlin. They did not have any 375 barrels left but did have 38-55 24 inch cowboy barrels. Well for $253 they put all new wood, new barrel and longer Magazine tube on my action. So I have a 38-55 Cowboy with a pistol grip stock. It Shoots great with .379 dia bullets so now I am happy.

Boomer Mikey
03-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I have a top eject Winchester 94 that shoots well with factory sights (my avitar).

I've been shooting a Bear Creek (BHN8) 255 grain plain base 0.377" boolit with 25 grains of H4198 ~ 1800 fps with no leading and very good accuracy ~ 2" @ 100 yards.

If I could keep only two rifles this would be one of them... my favorite carbine.

Boomer :Fire:

onceabull
03-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Gents: Shooting all those rifles prev.mentioned in 375W.plus the personal fav. Sav.mdl.99...(actually the Ruger,is the most accurate group shooter so far.) Using Lymans 375449 & 375296,and the RCBS 37-250...And a really Heavy weight that Bullshop sells, around 345 gr(by memory),Originally bought as loaded ammo when They were in Montana, Use these solely in the Marlin,until I can get off the duff and load some more( do have some of the boolits on hand now) It is for sure a real shoot clear through'em boolit...Perhaps he will see this and elaborate... Onceabull

johnly
03-25-2008, 07:33 PM
I have a M94BB in 375 as well as a Marlin 375S. Spend most of my time shooting the Marlin. Accuracy with plain base bullets has been spotty, but if I keep the velocity low and use AA5477 I can shoot some nice groups.

John

6pt-sika
03-25-2008, 11:46 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0284.jpg

Here's the deer I killed this past season with my Marlin 375 #2 ! I was shooting the Ranch Dog 379-210 loaded with XMP5744 . Shot was about 35 yards and the deer went about 40 yards and went down .

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0314.jpg

The two Ranch Dog bullets ! Only the 235 will be available thou :???:

Silverback
03-26-2008, 12:42 AM
I have a Big Bore 94 in 375 Winchester which I put a Williams’s receiver sight and a front Firesight with ramp hood on it, last fall I started shooting 250 gr GC cast from an RCBS mold sized to 0.375"and it shoots great. Is a lot of fun banging the gong at our range at 100 yards offhand and most people who try it can hit it fairly regularly. With this bullet I have to seat it so that the crimp is just into the front of the top lube groove to make the OAL long enough for reliable functioning through my rifle.

26Charlie
03-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I've got three - Win M94 BB, Marlin, and Ruger #3. The 375449 and the RCBS 37-250-FP (casts 265 gr.) with a case full of 4895 work great in them.

6pt-sika
03-26-2008, 10:56 PM
I've got three - Win M94 BB, Marlin, and Ruger #3.

Hmmmm , my pop has gotten into collecting Ruger #1's perhaps I can talk him into a #3 in 375 WIN !

shdwlkr
03-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I have two .375 winchester big bores one has the standard 20 inch barrel the other has a 26 inch octagon. I have only shot jacketed up to now. I now have a cast from a group buy here and can't wait to see how it works.

Ranch Dog
03-28-2008, 12:52 AM
I wonder why a lot of 375 guys have more than one rifle? I had three, traded one for a Guide Gun and wish I would had bought the GG outright so I would still have three. Mine are both Marlins, my "hunter" and one NIB. It is a great gun. I've taken deer and hogs with my rifles.

I'm getting ready to sell bullet molds for my Ranch Dog bullet. It's a good shooter made for the 375 Win first and the 38-55 Win second (it is usually the other way around). A full case of H322 has been giving me outstanding accuracy and around 2000 FPS.

Here is a link to the TLC379-235-RF's web page:
http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/TLC379235RF/

shdwlkr
03-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Ranchdog
I have two 375 because of the fact they act like two different rifles. One has the standard 20 inch barrel that is round and gets really warm after 4 shots and the other has a 26 inch octagon barrel that gives me more fps and cools down quicker because of the shape of the barrel.
Don't know why others have more than one but I may buy another if I can find it. I have lots of kids and they may want dad's 375. My 12 year old son who was a quad birth amputee shoots my 26 inch 375 and really likes it. Also have a 2 year old son who likes dad's rifles and a 1 year old girl who is eying dad's stuff.

Alangaq
03-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Well I am darn glad to hear there are other folks out there enjoying the attributes and qualities of the 375 Winchester! I must apologize for the delay in my response, but I am confident that you all will understand that with two boys, a pregnant wife and two jobs, my internet time can be rather limited these days. That said, and given that I have a few moments to peck away here while I await the next domestic crisis or argument over whom the triceratops belongs too…………..I will expound a bit on my particular pair of 375 Winchesters. The first is a BB94 pre safety that looks to be about 80% and is a good shooter with the Williams Peep sight installed, the other…………well she is a rather well used Marlin that my wife stared at in disbelief a couple months ago when I return from the Palmer gun show. “How much did that piece of crap cost” where her exact words if I recall correctly! Now my wife isn’t one of those gun hating penny pincher types that freaks out every time I bring a new gun home, but she does know the difference between a pretty rifle and one that looks like it spent a couple years in the bow of a salmon fisherman’s boat! And brothers………this one looked tough! Naturally at our gun shows they tyewrap the actions shut, the thinking behind this is beyond my comprehension, but it’s just the way it is I guess. That said, the best I could do is shine my flashlight down the dangerous end, and with the exception of some heavy copper build up, she looked pretty good. Well to shorten a rather long story; I ended up thinning the for-arm to Winchester 94 dimensions (about) and refinishing all the wood. Much cleaning, polishing etc. and then off to the range for a test session with the cast bullets (Lyman 449’s from WW + 4% tin over 31 gr of RL #7 with a WLR primer) and the thing shot pretty good! Only ONE little problem………….was hard like the dickens to eject! And I know this is a good load because I have fired hundreds thru my 94BB. Well upon close inspection of the brass it became obvious that the chamber had some pitting issues! Not terrible, but not good either………..enough to get me to call Marlin only to hear that no 375 barrels were to be had, then to my gunsmith buddy and chat about what could be done. As we added up the cost of new barrel, reamer, machine work etc. it quickly became clear that this would either have to be an all out make it beautiful and perfect kind of thing to justify the cost, or just say the heck with it and polish out that corrosion in the chamber and hope for the best. Did I mention “pregnant wife”? yea……….thought so. So off for the scotchbrite pad wrapped around a 30 caliber bore brush we go. Add a bit of polishing compound and a power drill and get after it! Turned out great! Shoots good, ejects good, and the brass doesn’t seem to be overstressed or anything as it goes thru the resizer die just fine without exsessive stretching! She actually looks pretty good now as well and can group those lead pills into about 2 ½” at 50 yards with the iron sights and my 40 year old eyes!

I don’t know why I love the 375 Winchester so dang much but I do! It aint exactly the most powerful round out there and I guess perhaps that’s one of the reasons I like it…………”tolerable” recoil! I do have some big boomers, a 375 H&H, and a 45/70 Guide Gun that I shoot RCBS 45-405’s out of at about 2000 fps and I aint ashamed to admit that they just aren’t that much fun to shoot. In fact, the 45/70 with my bear protection loads is just darn near intolerable unless standing! And I have some smaller lever guns in 30/30 that I enjoy shooting but always feel a bit “under gunned” with when out and about here in AK. So for me I guess the 375 Winchester is the perfect “middle weight” in my gun battery, and like I explained to my lovely wife: I already had jags, patches, dies and bore brushes in that caliber……….so we like saved………at least $50………..Ha!

Next up is a 35 Remington! But I just cant decide if I need the old Remington pump or a Marlin..............I am thining I guess I will need at least one of eacy!

Happy shootin! :-D :Fire:

6pt-sika
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Next up is a 35 Remington! But I just cant decide if I need the old Remington pump or a Marlin..............I am thining I guess I will need at least one of eacy!

Happy shootin! :-D :Fire:

I am not tryng to talk you out of a 35 REM , but it and the 375 WIN are fairly close !

If you want something a little different look for a Marlin in 356 WIN or 444 Marlin caliber !

But these are just my thoughts ! I have a 375 or two and a few 35's as well [smilie=1:

MGD
04-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Used to have a 94BB, now have a Marlin. Its my favorite hunting rifle, I'm using it more than my 71.

Nardoo
04-02-2008, 06:11 AM
I have Marlin .375 which my nineteeen year old son considers his. We use the RCBS 250-FN loaded to 1800 fps for hunting. It has proven reliable with feral pigs, goats and general culling at night. My son loves taking it decoy whistling foxes and prefers to fire 5 shots at a running fox and miss than a single killing shot at a stationary animal.
The 375 Win is not really big enough for the sambar deer we shoot here although a few of the dog team guys use them. Our Marlin will shoot about 2" at 100 yds and hits much harder than the 30/30. Cases are expensive here and the way my son sprays empties around necessitates cheaper brass. I use cheap PMC 30/30 brass fireformed with COW. The cases are a little short but it does not effect accuracy.
Can't believe that .375 Winnies are not more popular.

Nardoo

HeadLead
11-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Bringing an old thread back to life here....... I own a Marlin .375 and love it, however have never fired CB's through it. I have purchased the N.O.E.379235 RF mold and am waiting on handles.

I love the Marlin, so does my son who (like the poster above noted), thinks it is his already!

hpdrifter
11-01-2013, 07:53 PM
If I had one......or two, I'd darn sure be shootin em.

GunnyJohn
11-01-2013, 11:19 PM
I had a marlin. Killed several deer with it, using j-words. It was fairly accurate with the j's but I couldn't get it to shoot cast worth a didly. Traded it off for a 30-40 krag. Don't think I got hurt. Kinda miss it.

TXGunNut
11-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Nice catridge, bringing a BB94 out of retirement soon. I agree w/ 6pt-sika above that the .375 Win and the .35 Rem are pretty close but I like medium bores, the more the merrier!

264 Win Mag
11-03-2013, 03:08 PM
I have been looking at all the online listings and it seems the 375 Winchester is commonly available while the 356 Winchester and 444 Marlin chambered Winchester BB's are scarce. How should I be interpreting this? I feel the "need" for a new levergun and am intrigued by these 3 calibers and the 338 Marlin Express. I was always told if something is not made any longer and was still readily available there were issues. Was the 375 less popular than the 356 or 444?

Thomas

Four Fingers of Death
11-03-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't think there was anything all that wrong with the calibres you mentioned, but they obviously didn't set the shooting world on fire. From what I have heard over past years is that Marlin bought out the 444 because they couldn't get the 45/70 to work in the 336 action. I think the only reason it sold well for a good while is that it didn't really have any solid competition, there wasn't any heavy cartridges commonly available in lever rifles at the time. There was a gunsmith somewhere in the States that was making a nice earner converting 336s to 45/70 and after studying these, Marlin bought out the 1895 which put the 444 on the back burner. I think the only reason it survives is because it is a Marlin developed cartridge and as such has a loyal following. I have one because I was curious about it and in reality, it is way heavy enough for anything in Australia with the proper bullets, which are now available. I have a Ranch Dog mould (just scraped in before the doors closed, haha!) for usein mine, an early 2000s built gun, with a Ballard rifled barrel.

As to the 307 and the 356, there is nothing wrong with either cartridge as far as I can see (never had the dollars when they came out and never found one when I had the dollars later). I think maybe the semi rim put some people (who didn't know what they were talking about) off. These rifles were right up in the bolt gun performance levels, but I think most guys here see levers as good scrub guns for action shooting, providing quick follow up shots, but not to be taken seriously as a 'normal' hunting rifle.

I really would like to get a 356 and a 338 Marlin (I can't see why these didn't set the hunting world on fire????), but I hardly need one, as I already have a pre 64 30/30, a Marlin 336 in 30/30, the BB in 375 and a 444. Truth be known, I could easily get by with one 30/30 and the 444, but I like them.

FergusonTO35
11-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Seems like none of the lever action cartridges introduced after WWI will ever go mainstream, evidently the Marlin Express series are headed for the same fate as the Winchester Big Bore cartridges. I think the only reason the .444 hangs on is because there are so many bullets and molds already available for it.

264 Win Mag
11-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Seems like none of the lever action cartridges introduced after WWI will ever go mainstream, evidently the Marlin Express series are headed for the same fate as the Winchester Big Bore cartridges. I think the only reason the .444 hangs on is because there are so many bullets and molds already available for it.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that with the exception of the 45-70 more guns have been manufactured in 444 than the others mentioned. True?

Thomas

Four Fingers of Death
11-04-2013, 10:53 AM
That sounds about right as the 444 has been available for several years, the others came and went and the 444 still dribbles on. With Remington now holding the Marlin reins it will be interesting to see if it survives or gets 'rationalised' and they just kick on with the 45/70 as their thumper.

I had the 375 at the range today, more of the commercial boolits and still shooting low,even with the much hotter load. I tried TrailBoss before, shot real low, tried AR2207 this time, starting load, said to be about 1600fps, a pretty healthy kick, but still a tad low. I was at maximum elevation already, so I loosened the screws thinking to move the sight blade up a bit and I noticed there was a fair deal of dusty crud, so I removed it to clean it and then noticed a really large notch underneath. Welllllll, I installed it upside down and now I have a huge rear sight groove, which worked pretty well. Got it zeroed, so next step is to try a few different loads and see what I will end up with. This really is a nice rifle and I get a few offers everytime I take it to the range!

missionary5155
11-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Greetings
Have 2 Winchesters and 1 Marlin. Have to write I like the Winchesters better due to the ease of fitting my hand for all day carry. Cannot say one is more accurate than the other with their personal favorite load.
I use the Lyman 375 248 for 90 % of my shooting. One day I will get some PB gaschecks and probably never use another mold in them unless I need a 285 grainer for something really big.
But if that happens the 405JES will go out most likely or even step up to the 45-70.
In all actuality I use mine more as 38-55's. If a 255 grainer of WW will not do the job at 1650 fps I will step up another caliber. What I do like is the bore size. No need to lap out molds or buy extra fat ones. But having worked with origonal 38-55 Winchesters for years I already have fat molds for the fat throats and bores.
Hard to beat a caliber 38. Some expouse the vitures of the 35's. Good calibers all of them ! But bigger holes are always better. So with that in mind we really need to see the virtues of caliber .50 lever guns.
Mike in Peru

No_1
11-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Only have one at the moment which is a #3 with a fixed 4X scope. Got it when I was collecting #3's. I like to think of it as my 45-70 Jr.

Combat Diver
11-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Always like the cartrigdes and rifles but always other things in the fire. Maybe one day I'll latch on to one.

CD

264 Win Mag
11-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Greetings

In all actuality I use mine more as 38-55's. If a 255 grainer of WW will not do the job at 1650 fps I will step up another caliber.
Mike in Peru

I am with Mike on this. I am looking for something different to hunt smallish southern whitetails an punch some paper. If I really need to take out the big stuff I can step up to my Ballard rifled 444 Marlin or 338 Winchester.

Thomas

Four Fingers of Death
11-04-2013, 07:16 PM
No doubt you will 264, I have a lotof youngerguys say things like 'where do you get these rifles from?' etc,etc. and I point out that those are the sort of questions I used to ask, but if you stay in the game long enough, you will see a lot of things go by.

I just dropped into the gunshop on the way home from the Doctor's. Had a sniff around and said to the owner, 'I don't know why I'm looking, I haven't got any money at the moment, but I suppose you can nearly always pull $50 deposit out of your pocket and figure it out later.' Famous last words? Nex minnit! I see a 22/250 Kriko, which has obviously been carried a lot, but with a beautiful bore for $450, which is a good buy and the stock will clean up well. Yep! You guessed it, pulled $50 out and plonked in on the table. Hopeless case!

Artful
11-04-2013, 07:59 PM
I have Winchester 94BB, Ruger #3 and T/C Contender barrel for my pistol

Four Fingers of Death
11-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Nice line up Artful!

Artful
11-05-2013, 03:37 AM
I made the mistake of passing up a Savage 99-375 - I should have snapped it up when I had the chance

starmac
11-05-2013, 05:31 AM
You don't get that chance every day.

EDG
11-08-2013, 02:35 PM
It would be easy to collect all .375 Wins except for the Savage 99. They are really rare.
To the best of my knowledge this is the list
M94 Big Bore
.375 Marlin
#3 Ruger
TC Contender
Savage 99.

pkie44
11-08-2013, 09:48 PM
It would be easy to collect all .375 Wins except for the Savage 99. They are really rare.
To the best of my knowledge this is the list
M94 Big Bore
.375 Marlin
#3 Ruger
TC Contender
Savage 99.
Win 94 AE

EDG
11-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Win 94 AE

I don't think there is such a thing.

Artful
11-09-2013, 01:56 AM
EDG there is the Winchester Model 94 Angle Eject came after the
Big Bore XTR top ejected was introduced.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=178955.0

EDG
11-09-2013, 02:21 AM
Artful,
I think those posts are wrong. I kept up with the .375 when it came on the scene and once owned one of them.
I have looked at every .375 at every gun show for about 20 or 25 years and I have never seen a .375 Win Big Bore AE. I think they are just unicorn rifles. One of the comments said there were 19,000 made. I have several rifles made in the total production run quantitys of 5000 down to 3000 and they are much more common that the 19,000 AE .375s.

EDG there is the Winchester Model 94 Angle Eject came after the
Big Bore XTR top ejected was introduced.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=178955.0

pkie44
11-09-2013, 09:31 AM
I don't think there is such a thing.

I know they built at least one.

Four Fingers of Death
11-09-2013, 11:04 AM
we had a run of 444Big Bores here in Australia and they had black plastic stocks. I thought that they were angle ejects, might be wrong. I've been keeping an eye out for one of those for a longgggg time!

pkie44
11-09-2013, 11:22 AM
444 were Angle Eject, some were 18" ported, some were 20" non ported crossbolt safety, rebounding hammer. GGRrrr

Four Fingers of Death
11-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Here is the 444 variant I am talking about and it is an angle eject and does have the cross bolt safety.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/6860151323/7459104/582d25ec93803db29011210a4aeaacba.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gunauction.com/buy/7459104/rifles-for-sale/lever-action-rifle/winchester-model-94ae-big-bore-timber-carbine-444-18-in-nib&h=529&w=704&sz=79&tbnid=ewpMmY4eNKaMKM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__3WaWbbMMp19PHsPZEg45h-YUGUc=&docid=pGTURn3zboNiUM&sa=X&ei=2Zp-UrGWLMmyiAePhoCwBA&ved=0CJkBEPUBMAs

EDG
11-09-2013, 07:10 PM
I know anyone could build at least one.
USRA sold off their left over barrels to Gun Parts/Numrich.
Those barrels could be installed on an AE or other M94.

I know they built at least one.

pkie44
11-09-2013, 07:32 PM
I know anyone could build at least one.
USRA sold off their left over barrels to Gun Parts/Numrich.
Those barrels could be installed on an AE or other M94.
You have the option of believing what you want.

TXGunNut
11-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Winchester started building AE's before they stopped building 375 Big Bores so it's possible but I can't recall seeing one. They only built the 375's for a few years so it's rare to see one at all. I see the .307's and .356's now and then, they're generally AE guns IIRC. Can't recall seeing a .444 but it's not a cartridge that interests me so I could easily miss it.

cabezaverde
11-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I think I sold you that NIB rifle on Gunbroker. It has a story behind it.

I wonder why a lot of 375 guys have more than one rifle? I had three, traded one for a Guide Gun and wish I would had bought the GG outright so I would still have three. Mine are both Marlins, my "hunter" and one NIB. It is a great gun. I've taken deer and hogs with my rifles.

I'm getting ready to sell bullet molds for my Ranch Dog bullet. It's a good shooter made for the 375 Win first and the 38-55 Win second (it is usually the other way around). A full case of H322 has been giving me outstanding accuracy and around 2000 FPS.

Here is a link to the TLC379-235-RF's web page:
http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/TLC379235RF/

EDG
11-09-2013, 09:52 PM
You have the option of proving it.

You have the option of believing what you want.

pkie44
11-09-2013, 10:07 PM
You have the option of proving it.
I have nothing to prove

pkie44
11-10-2013, 12:35 AM

Artful
11-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Well thanks to pkie44, the proof is in the photo - has AE stamped on the 375 barrel!

http://www.20somethingawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/tennis-winning-game-set-match.jpg
Game Set and Match

EDG
11-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Not so fast. That is only a shot of the barrel. Without the barrel and receiver in the same photo it is subject to spoof....
You know how it is on the net... You can trust half of what you hear and nothing of what you see.

[QUOTE=Artful;2469671]Well thanks to pkie44, the proof is in the photo - has AE stamped on the 375 barrel!

JFE
11-10-2013, 07:19 AM
EDG - Winchester made more than one 375 in AE format. I have one and have seen a couple more for sale here in Oz over the years. They are not very common, but they are around. The ones I have seen had no side safety and were fitted with the Monte Carlo stock. They have the heavier barrel format of the 356 and are noticeably heavier than the top eject 375's.

Artful
11-10-2013, 12:09 PM
EDG - Winchester made more than one 375 in AE format. I have one and have seen a couple more for sale here in Oz over the years. They are not very common, but they are around. The ones I have seen had no side safety and were fitted with the Monte Carlo stock. They have the heavier barrel format of the 356 and are noticeably heavier than the top eject 375's.

Which takes away from what made the 94 such a great gun light and handy - never tried one with a monte carlo comb - guess with the angle eject they figure everyone will be mounting a scope.

TXGunNut
11-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Which takes away from what made the 94 such a great gun light and handy - never tried one with a monte carlo comb - guess with the angle eject they figure everyone will be mounting a scope.

Good points, doubt the AE version will be D&T'd for receiver sights. I'll still keep an eye out for one, I shouldered a 356 awhile back and I like the Monte Carlo stock. Doubtful I'll scope it but it will need peeps.

pkie44
11-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Good points, doubt the AE version will be D&T'd for receiver sights. I'll still keep an eye out for one, I shouldered a 356 awhile back and I like the Monte Carlo stock. Doubtful I'll scope it but it will need peeps.
Mounted on rear scope mounting holes on this 356. Skinner also makes a sight that will mount also.

TXGunNut
11-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Haven't seen the Williams sight but I like the Skinner sight. The side-mount Williams sight for the BB is a bit pricey so I bought the Marble sight that replaces the rear sight.

pkie44
11-10-2013, 01:08 PM
This sight and the Skinner will fit the AE rifles that are drilled and tapped. Williams sight needs a little mod to clear the hump. I will try the Skinner on the 444 soon.

JFE
11-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Haven't seen the Williams sight but I like the Skinner sight. The side-mount Williams sight for the BB is a bit pricey so I bought the Marble sight that replaces the rear sight.

FWIW you can modify side mounted Williams or Lyman peep sights designed for regular 94's. I have done it couple of times to the aluminum Lyman 66's and they have worked out well.

Ramjet-SS
11-11-2013, 02:01 PM
I would love for Henry Rifles to build a 375

EDG
11-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Not very common???
You are in Oz. I would expect nothing like a .375 Win to be common in Oz.
I have been looking at .375 Wins in the US for decades and have never seen one.
They appear to be an instant collectors item.
I would not buy any Win with that horrible huge counter sunk safety.
Who every was running that project at USRA should have been fired.

JFE
11-11-2013, 04:07 PM
One source on the subject suggested that USRA records were lost and that there was no record of how many 375 AE's were ever made. He was trying to estimate production through serial number checks and reckoned that perhaps up to around 2000 were made. The serial number format for AE models is different to the top eject model.

One thing about Winchester in Oz is that we tend to only see stuff here that isn't popular in the US. I am assuming that when the 375 went off the boil in the US a whole bunch must have been sent here because there are quite a few top ejects around and even a few AE's.

264 Win Mag
11-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Does anybody have a source showing how many Winchester 375, 356, and 444's were manufactured? Would not mind having a Marlin either but I am guessing those are even more rare/expensive.

Thomas

micky_blue
11-11-2013, 05:39 PM
I just listed a top eject with 100 rounds of ammo in the swapping/sellin section.

EDG
11-11-2013, 06:16 PM
I have seen a good number of top eject .375s and a reasonable number of the Marlin rifles. But I have never seen an AE in .375. There are usually one or two of each at every gun show. But through more than 20 years of gun shows at at least one a month I have never seen a .375 AE.

I don't think the Marlin version is as numerous as the Win top eject but the Winchester name is normally more popular so the number of each that I see circulating is about the same.

One source on the subject suggested that USRA records were lost and that there was no record of how many 375 AE's were ever made. He was trying to estimate production through serial number checks and reckoned that perhaps up to around 2000 were made. The serial number format for AE models is different to the top eject model.

One thing about Winchester in Oz is that we tend to only see stuff here that isn't popular in the US. I am assuming that when the 375 went off the boil in the US a whole bunch must have been sent here because there are quite a few top ejects around and even a few AE's.

264 Win Mag
11-11-2013, 06:23 PM
I figured this thread was due for a stupid question so I thought I would step up and ask. Can you mount a scope on the BB's or only on the AE's or XTR's? From the photos I have been looking at I don't see where they are D&T or photos of rifles for sale with a scope mounted. I saw one photo and I don't remember which model 375 it was but it had a scope in see-through rings :shock:

Thomas

pkie44
11-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Only scope mount for Top Eject I know of is the old side mount, have seen a few with a Scout Style using the rear sight dovetail and drilling and tapping front of the receiver.

JFE
11-11-2013, 07:27 PM
The mounts I have seen for top eject 94's (S&K insta mount) are a side mount and use existing screw holes in the receiver - they supply longer bolts in the kit. The scope actually sits slightly offset to the LHS to avoid ejected shells falling back into the action. Due to the offset it would be tough for a lefty to use properly.

pkie44
11-11-2013, 08:19 PM
375 AE scope mount a little tough to find, front mount holes radial drilled. 356 and others are drilled inline, easier to find mounts.

264 Win Mag
11-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Yeah, that would be tough to deal with. I could use the iron sights but I plan on using anything I acquire to at least hunt whitetails. I guess I need to start cruising the pawn shops again. Would love to be back in Florida with all those retirees bringing in awesome stuff from all over the country and selling it.

Thomas

JFE
11-11-2013, 10:50 PM
375 AE scope mount a little tough to find, front mount holes radial drilled. 356 and others are drilled inline, easier to find mounts.

FWIW my 375 AE has front scope mount holes that are D/T-ed inline, like the ones on your 356.

pkie44
11-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Something new to ponder.

micky_blue
11-12-2013, 10:35 AM
http://www.turnbullmfg.com/catalog.asp?prodid=663627&showprevnext=1

I was told by the guys at Turnbull that this should mount to the BB with no mods. If it doesn't, it can not be any harder than moding a peep sight to fit the BB rifles.

Four Fingers of Death
11-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Man, they look awful, but way in front of selling the rifle because you can't use the sights.

TXGunNut
11-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Agreed, hope it looks better in person. If it was a standard Weaver configuration and black anodized I'd think about it.

pkie44
11-12-2013, 02:41 PM
I will try one of these soon, I am not sure the mount from Turnbull will clear the hump on the Big Bore.
http://www.skinnersights.com/winchester_26.html

JFE
11-12-2013, 03:51 PM
If it doesn't clear the hump, it would take a lot more work to alter it compared to modifying the base of a Lyman 66 or Williams sight. Plus it looks pretty clumsy.

If you had your mind set on one of those sights I would look to D/T the top of the hump like on AE models and fit a Weaver or custom talley rear base. I am not sure about empty shells clearing but I think they should clear OK. That would look neater and probably be stronger too.

micky_blue
11-12-2013, 04:24 PM
I doubt it would cost 30 bucks to have a machinist caress that turnbull mount with a lathe a little bit and have it fit.

Four Fingers of Death
11-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I like that skinner sight and it looks way better than a side mount Lyman or Williams, but it looks a lot bigger to me than it needs to be. What are the two screws on top for? If it was steel, I think I'd be attacking it with a file and shaping it to match the lines of the rifle better. I think it is the pick of the peep sights I have seen available for the 94.

I think I will end up with one of these on my top eject 375BB.

JFE
11-12-2013, 06:46 PM
FFD - if you plan to use one sight setting, XS peep sights are compact and probably the most rugged option. You would still need to D/T the top of the receiver of your top eject.

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=rifle

Four Fingers of Death
11-12-2013, 07:28 PM
They look the goods JFE. The one on the MArlin looks blocky, but the Winchester 94 style is nice. I love the idea of the Weaver base/back up sight. One of these will be ending up on my 375H&H 700SPS DG.

264 Win Mag
11-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I will try one of these soon, I am not sure the mount from Turnbull will clear the hump on the Big Bore.
http://www.skinnersights.com/winchester_26.html

I like the looks of this one much better also. I still would prefer a scope but this would be my goto option if I was unable to scope the rifle without drilling a bunch of holes in the receiver.

Thomas

farmbif
11-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Wondering how you like this I recently got one of the original winchester top eject 94 BB 375 and after a day at the range today thought I would look for sight options and williams is the only place that makes a peep sight made to fit

TXGunNut
11-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Wondering how you like this I recently got one of the original winchester top eject 94 BB 375 and after a day at the range today thought I would look for sight options and williams is the only place that makes a peep sight made to fit

Yes and no. Marble has a ghost ring sight.

264 Win Mag
11-23-2013, 09:36 AM
I am in no hurry so my plan is to hold out for the XTR or AE models so I can mount a scope on it. Should I find a deal I can't walk away from on a top eject model, I would probably put on the Skinner sights and leave it. I have been closely watching the online sites and probably after the first of the year will start getting serious. I need to soften the blow of the purchase with at least one home upgrade first! A happy wife leads to a happy life :wink:

Thomas

sparkycivil
12-03-2013, 11:48 PM
I have a 375 win and a 375 marlin. Took the side scope mount off the winny and replaced it with the Williams fp screwed a adjustable aperture into it and stuffed it with the 375449's and now I can't leave it at home. The marlin has been source of my suffering. After much tinkering I am now approaching acceptable accuracy and reliable operation. Marlin school. Looking to get a encore barrel in 375 soon.

garandsrus
12-04-2013, 01:53 AM
I have a Williams peep sight on a Win 375 BB top eject and it works great. No holes needed to be drilled.

264 Win Mag
12-04-2013, 08:50 AM
No holes needed to be drilled.

I like that. Not a fan of poking extra holes in a receiver.

Thomas

264 Win Mag
12-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Well, didn't even make it a month and won an auction on Gunbroker for a excellent 1980 vintage Marlin Model 375. Since its a Marlin there will be no issues with mounting a scope so I don't have to figure that out. Only issue is it looks like they make 375 Winchester brass out of gold! Stuff does not exist at any of the online suppliers I have found and most wont even allow a backorder. Anybody who is selling on the online auctions are valuing the stuff according to the above mentioned gold standard. My wife would be mad at me for buying the rifle at Christmas time but she is too busy laughing about me not being able to buy ammo or brass to shoot it.

Thomas

fishhawk
12-21-2013, 04:32 PM
fire form 30-30 brass, works fine for medium power loads just a little shorter is all

264 Win Mag
12-21-2013, 04:58 PM
What are some suitable powders for fireforming? I will see if I have anything that will work. I have some 30-30 Winchester brass I can use. I also have some 32 Winchester Special brass and I am assuming that would work also or am I mistaken?

Thomas

fishhawk
12-21-2013, 05:00 PM
32 win would work to

Combat Diver
12-21-2013, 06:31 PM
So would 38-55 brass but will be a tad shorter.

CD

Artful
12-22-2013, 11:09 AM
38-55 should be longer than 375 by my memory

fryboy
12-22-2013, 12:43 PM
correct , one will need to trim 38-55 brass down a bit ( i highly recommend starline's !! )
as for fire forming ... i expand the case with a cheap lee decapper and a tapered expander , i use steps ( 338,358,375 ) i had to grind the decapping pin of the 375 o get it to expand enough tho , i used to use 8 grains of unique and a 376 round ball ( a lot of fun plinking btw ) but lately have been using various cast boolits , again with 8-11 grains of unique ( depending upon boolit weight ) of note once fire formed ( or perhaps expanded to size ) one should anneal the case , seems to me they only last 4-5 firings if i dont before i start getting splits in the old neck area

Artful
12-22-2013, 01:08 PM
as for fire forming ... i expand the case with a cheap lee decapper and a tapered expander , i use steps ( 338,358,375 ) i had to grind the decapping pin of the 375 o get it to expand enough tho , i used to use 8 grains of unique and a 376 round ball, of note once fire formed ( or perhaps expanded to size ) one should anneal the case , seems to me they only last 4-5 firings if i dont before i start getting splits in the old neck area

I'm too lazy for that, I used Cream of wheat method - and yeah you need to anneal most fire formed brass.

What are some suitable powders for fireforming? I will see if I have anything that will work. I have some 30-30 Winchester brass I can use. I also have some 32 Winchester Special brass and I am assuming that would work also or am I mistaken?

Thomas
Fast burning pistol powder's I have used for fireforming with cereal (Bullseye, RedDot, Unique)

if you take a 30-30 case primer it and add about 5 gr of a fast powder like red dot, put a Toilet paper wad over the powder and fill case with cream of wheat, point rifle straight up, load into the chamber and pull trigger and you now have a new 375WIN case. If you have a bunch you may want to capture the cream of wheat in the 30-30 case with a wax plug or Toilet paper wad.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/papajohn428/IMG_2913.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/papajohn428/IMG_2914.jpg
Notice is shortens but you still have to true up the neck - and 30-30 in my experience was thinner than true 375 win brass - so while good for cast or moderate loads not so much pedal to the metal use.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloading/102607-blowing-out-30-30-brass-375-win-38-55-a.html
www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-647768.html
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437800
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/67389-375-Winchester-question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex6GaqvTQLw

fryboy
12-22-2013, 01:54 PM
i just learned to hate wasting a primer and powder and not shooting something :P the lil round balls are fairly accurate and cheap to make ( or buy ) at first i used to just expand the neck enough to hold the ball, then allowed the firing to blow the hour glass effect away then i got creative ( as mentioned in my prior post lolz )
of all the options , the starline brass is perhaps the strongest case , last i looked they had some in stock as did natchez , with the 38-55 brass it's merely trim load and fire ( easy breezy )

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=IA3855

264 Win Mag
12-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Fast burning pistol powder's I have used for fireforming with cereal (Bullseye, RedDot, Unique)

if you take a 30-30 case primer it and add about 5 gr of a fast powder like red dot, put a Toilet paper wad over the powder and fill case with cream of wheat, point rifle straight up, load into the chamber and pull trigger and you now have a new 375WIN case. If you have a bunch you may want to capture the cream of wheat in the 30-30 case with a wax plug or Toilet paper wad.

How about H4227, H110, or Tightgroup? These are the pistol powders I have on hand I could use. How much of one of these would be appropriate?

I emailed Winchester and asked about the brass and the ammunition and their reply was that they planned on producing them in 2014 but did not elaborate beyond that.

Thomas

Artful
12-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Tite Group is just a little slower than Red Dot per www.reloadbench.com/burn.html
so I'd use that.

Old Dawg
12-22-2013, 04:27 PM
A lot of people were bitten by the 'Bigger is always better' bug.

Old Dawg
12-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Some of the M94BB were drilled and tapped on the top of the side rails. Williams makes a Foolproof sight for them. Very nice fit and when the sight is removed and the hole plugged with a screw it is very unobtrusive unlike a receiver drilled and tapped on the sides.

264 Win Mag
12-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Some of the M94BB were drilled and tapped on the top of the side rails. Williams makes a Foolproof sight for them. Very nice fit and when the sight is removed and the hole plugged with a screw it is very unobtrusive unlike a receiver drilled and tapped on the sides.

Right after I purchased my Marlin there was what looked to be a really nice Model 94AE BB for $700. Would have loved to have that one too but I didn't think two rifles in the same month would have gone over very well at the house.

Thomas

shdwlkr
12-22-2013, 05:44 PM
just a note here 38-55 brass from starline comes in two different lengths the original 38-55 Long Brass (2.125) (Large Rifle primer) and 38-55 Brass (2.080") (Large Rifle primer).

375 winchester brass is 2.01 length and if yours is like mine it can handle the 2.08 long cases.

Buy one and try and see if it will work. Never close the door to ideas as sometimes it works sometimes it takes it doesn't.