PDA

View Full Version : Who's got a magic idea for a pinch trim die that works in a progressive press?

xman777
07-02-2015, 10:37 PM
I need some help coming up with a way to pinch trim of the tops of my 40 brass with my dillon 650 case-fed.
One of you brilliant dynamos here should have something. I'm hoping Jmorris might chime in.

clodhopper
07-03-2015, 01:03 AM
Well, as long as your floppy tool head flops in a repeatable manner, should be no sweat.

runfiverun
07-03-2015, 01:52 AM
you need a punch and an outer [inner] die surface to pinch between.

if you feed them by hand upside down and modify the feed system. [or a bullet feeder]
then maybe some finagling could be done to by pass the ejection system.
weld a stem in every shell holder slot [or make a new shell holder], and pluck each case from it after it's pinched.

I really think you'd be better off to dedicate a machine strictly to the project since once you set everything up and got it all adjusted you'd run out of cases in like 20 minutes.

xman777
07-03-2015, 09:13 AM
I suppose I could run it upside down without too much agg. I'd have to adapt a casefeeder to index somehow. Maybe gremlin's tooling can help out. All i know is the HF saw even with jigs is really slow. Then the brass needs additional attention, deburring and what not.

xman777
07-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Then there's modding a case feeder to drop upside down and onto the mandrel? I suppose a case kicker could be utilized in some manner here as well.
I also talked to the owner of case pro to see if he could make a roll sizer die with a cutting knife on it. I have not heard back yet.

enreynolds
07-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but instead of reinventing the wheel, Why not use/ build a case trimmer like the Dillon? I know it would be louder, but I would think that given the cost of retrofitting EVERYTHING might outweigh the noise. Just a thought.

enreynolds
07-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Another Idea would be to use a push through pinch trim die. See here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=JDd61NujspYC&pg=SA5-PA36&lpg=SA5-PA36&dq=pinch+trim+die&source=bl&ots=YlrqB4h3sX&sig=k8PTVpLJzk6f18IDW-Tlf5JN2Cg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LPOSVZGyFIyqNp-7gFg&ved=0CDoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=pinch%20trim%20die&f=false

xman777
07-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but instead of reinventing the wheel, Why not use/ build a case trimmer like the Dillon? I know it would be louder, but I would think that given the cost of retrofitting EVERYTHING might outweigh the noise. Just a thought.

How would you figure using a dillon trimmer for 40 S&W? I have explored this option and the case is not tall enough to clear any toolhead or even an RCBS top thread with any sort of trim die in it. Perhaps you're on to something I have not thought about.

xman777
07-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Another Idea would be to use a push through pinch trim die. See here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=JDd61NujspYC&pg=SA5-PA36&lpg=SA5-PA36&dq=pinch+trim+die&source=bl&ots=YlrqB4h3sX&sig=k8PTVpLJzk6f18IDW-Tlf5JN2Cg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LPOSVZGyFIyqNp-7gFg&ved=0CDoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=pinch%20trim%20die&f=false

This push through option seems to be a great idea in theory. Now how do we make one or better yet who makes one?

guywitha3006
07-03-2015, 10:08 AM
I put some thought into the Dillon style trimmer (I say dillon style because I actually have a honey badger timmer, uses Dillon dies and a Bosch Router as a motor, and a 2 flute carbide end mill). My best idea was to use an essentially elongated sizing die (4"+) that had dillon thread at the top and standard 7/8" threads for the rest of the body. Then mill out a vacuum hole(s) near the base. I would have just enough of the "sizing" die to center and support the case (I was thinking .25-.3") and from the top of that section bore out the top inside of the die so that end mill just fits.

This particular set would work best for a single stage like a Rock Chucker but I still think it would be pretty quick. The other option would be uses a standard length Dillon style trim die, but the shaving would in theory just drop free as the case come down (hopefully remaining mostly in the case).

No that I have all that thinking done, I just need to find someone with a lathe and and the ability to heat treat so I can see if my thoughts are valid .

PS I am not affiliated with the Honey Badger Timmer just like the idea, the Bosch router that powers the Honey Badger adapter is 2.5HP and 10k-25k RPM... smooth as a baby's butt, no burrs!

How would you figure using a dillon trimmer for 40 S&W? I have explored this option and the case is not tall enough to clear any toolhead or even an RCBS top thread with any sort of trim die in it. Perhaps you're on to something I have not thought about.

clodhopper
07-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Wow some great ideas here involving routers. What if you modified a 650 tool head to take a small diameter router, like a roto zip, at station 4, where you normally seat bullets.

Edit after reading xman's older thread on this. There is nothing new under the sun

runfiverun
07-03-2015, 04:35 PM
I was thinking about building [okay grinding down a $20.00 lee C-press or my old herters] frame that was about 1/4" thick on top to mount the Dillon trimmer on.
only problem I have is I have no way to make sizing dies that would work on the thing.
and I would probably need a way to extend the ram or shell holder.

xman777
07-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Well, now I've got the Giraud all apart...

RLW
07-03-2015, 08:02 PM
I would thing you could do it with the dillon style trimmer. I have a heavily modified Dillon 1050 tool head for trimming 300 blackout brass and I think something similar would work for what you would like to do. In my case I had to mill away quite a lot of the toolhead to make it work. In your case you might have to make a separate tool head which would be great because then you can simply swap it out for that particular process. I am on vacation out of the country so I have no way of looking at the 650 that I have but you may need to make a new tool head because of how short the case is and how much room you would have to work with as far as the case being held in the sizing die.

I used two trimmers because I was having trouble getting the amount of material off at a rate that I wanted to achieve with one. The trimmers I used were different than the Dillon trimmer in that they were cutting at like 10-15k rpm. I got them online for cheap. I think guys use them for CNC routers and stuff. They are liquid cooled and can run all day. What I did instead of using a trim die was I trimmed the top off a standard sizing die so the top off the case would extend out of it. Then I milled round slots half way down in the top of my tool head and made special parts that fit into the slots and also let the motor sit down in the part. There were actually two parts. One that sat on the tool head and one that held the mount for the trimmer but it could be made as one part I believe. The trimmer was held into the mount with a cross bar on the top of the trimmer and across the mount and then a couple pieces of all thread between the two. I had to put extra support because the motors were super heavy and it was a little complicated on the the 1050. I think it would be simpler on the 650 and if you have a mill you could make a fairly simple tool head as I am almost positive that you would need to because of how short a case you would be working with. You would also need a lathe to make the part that would hold the trimmer. I am not sure how you would be best mounting the Dillon trimmer if you h ave one of those however I assume it could be mounted the same way. I'll try to post a video as I have one on my laptop but I might have to compress it to post it.

The other thing that might work would be something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXQjPy7Uvdk

There was another video that showed a similar jig and how it works but I could not find it for some reason. Either way it is a pretty simple concept and depending on how many you are looking to do it might do you just fine.

xman777
07-03-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm definitely tuned in RLW.

RLW
07-03-2015, 08:33 PM
I am trying to upload the video to youtube now. I'm in an area with really poor internet so it might take a bit. The video is all I have on my computer and it doesnt show the concept well because some of it is covered by the shrouds that collect the shavings. Also when I took the video (with my cell phone) I was only trying to get an idea of how fast it was running so I could get a count. It starts off running slower and then I turn it up slightly as it is variable speed. Just happens that because I took it with my cell phone it got uploaded to my dropbox account so I have it. I'll post a link when it is done uploading.

I think the limiting factor for you is going to be how short you need to trim the case and how much room that leaves you to work with. What I mean is if you cut the die down does it leave you enough room to screw it into the tool head and be able to secure it with a lock ring or something. Not that you can't overcome that but there is a point where it might not be worth doing.

RLW
07-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Here is a link to the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju7RWtwlx6s

xman777
07-03-2015, 10:22 PM
You happen to know the brand of trimmer heads you used in this mod? They seem to be pretty beefy at that speed. Thanks so much for posting the vid.

RLW
07-03-2015, 10:45 PM
You happen to know the brand of trimmer heads you used in this mod? They seem to be pretty beefy at that speed. Thanks so much for posting the vid.

I would have to look everything up to find out exactly what I used as it has been a couple years. It was something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2KW-WATER-COOLED-SPINDLE-MOTOR-2-2KW-VFD-HIGH-SPEED-COOLE-MOTOR-BEARING-/221354796303 but I would have to check the specs on what I have. You can buy very nice ones made in the USA but thats gonna cost a fortune. It is a little bit of a complicated set up as when I purchased them I bought the mots separate from the VFD's. If you notice in the video the white bucket behind the press is filled with antifreeze/coolant and it has a couple pond pumps that run it to the motors.

I thought about this over breakfast (I'm on the other side of the world so time is different) and I dont think it would be that difficult to do. You might be best off using the Dillon trimmer if you have one. I have thought about doing it before as I have more brass than I could ever use so thought I could just make jackets and swage some bullets in one of the one step dies. When I get home which wont be until August I might look into it a little. Problem is I'm not sure how much time I am going to have for Misc projects. I will however think it over in the next few weeks as I have lots of time for that and if I come up with anything I'll post it. I really don't think it would be all that difficult.

runfiverun
07-05-2015, 09:30 AM
got a little mental image in my head.
RLW eating breakfast looking out over the sunrise coming up behind the Eiffel tower and day dreaming about building a rotary cut-off tool.
[this is in black and white of course]
Brigit Bardot [played by RLW's wife] walks in behind him and puts her arms around him and asks what he is thinking.
breaking his concentration right when he gets to the dual gear driven gear reduction math part of the problem
his answer of course is.............. "nothing".
But she can see he is concerned because of the furrowed look on his brow, and wants to have a 45 minute conversation about it [thinking he is about to change the worlds fortunes] while she keeps changing position on the settee every Minute and 30 seconds.

sorry man,,,,,, I have an imagination sometimes.

xman777
07-05-2015, 12:21 PM
LOL thats too funny. Sounds just like my old lady.
She could write a diatribe about how un-attentive I am and ponder on whats bothering me when it is indeed the very most boring things in life like the lawn mower wont start and I havent figured out why.

RLW
07-05-2015, 09:03 PM
got a little mental image in my head.
RLW eating breakfast looking out over the sunrise coming up behind the Eiffel tower and day dreaming about building a rotary cut-off tool.
[this is in black and white of course]
Brigit Bardot [played by RLW's wife] walks in behind him and puts her arms around him and asks what he is thinking.
breaking his concentration right when he gets to the dual gear driven gear reduction math part of the problem
his answer of course is.............. "nothing".
But she can see he is concerned because of the furrowed look on his brow, and wants to have a 45 minute conversation about it [thinking he is about to change the worlds fortunes] while she keeps changing position on the settee every Minute and 30 seconds.

sorry man,,,,,, I have an imagination sometimes.

Your not that far off. The setting is slightly different but it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what is going on.

RLW
07-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Xman777, how much of the case are you looking to remove?

xman777
07-06-2015, 08:39 AM
I'm looking to cut a 40 s&w down to .725. Its about an 1/8th of an inch.

jmorris
07-06-2015, 10:28 AM
All i know is the HF saw even with jigs is really slow.

Another way to use saw blades to trim brass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXz97yWp2w

xman777
07-06-2015, 05:12 PM
How much re work is involved with a cut like this? Chamfer/deburr etc... Seems to me like I'd need a second operation to clean it all up unless tumbling in SS Media gets it cleaned off.

jmorris
07-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Depends on the blade and feed but I just use it for a "rough" cut. Finish cut will be about the same as you could do with a mini chop saw, just automated.

jmorris
07-06-2015, 06:40 PM
I made this video when I was checking out a machine a friend gave me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaBON6F1LlQ

It would work but would be expensive and slow.

An 1/8" is a lot for some trimmers but pretty easy with others. Getting rid of the chips becomes a problem as they try and nest in a vacuum hose (like a rats nest).

What kind of production are you looking for, time and number wise?

xman777
07-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Nothing blazing. I just want to do other things while the cases get trimmed. I would also like an inside chamfer and deburr on the outside. I suppose 1 every second or 3 would suffice. So long as I can load them in a dillon case feeder and unload them ready for swaging. Thats kind of where I'm at with it.

jmorris
07-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Maybe see if Giraud would make you a 3 way cutter for .40 and setup a custom tool head on a 650.

You won't get one a second production but could do 2 or 3 seconds.

how much money do you have to play with?

xman777
07-07-2015, 10:11 AM
I talked to Giraud and due to the short size of the brass, he was unwilling to make a machine. I was looking at the camdex but its close to 40k with custom calibers. I was thinking between 3-5k was reasonable being that I make close to 5k rounds per month. I do not sell much of it, only some to friends so this is still hobby level, but figuring how much I have into swaging equipment, this price is pretty close to what I spent on a hydro press and that's only used for point forming at this point. I have plans to swage my own wire and make jackets, but the tooling for those is less of a priority than something to cut this brass which I get for free.

RLW
07-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Nothing blazing. I just want to do other things while the cases get trimmed. I would also like an inside chamfer and deburr on the outside. I suppose 1 every second or 3 would suffice. So long as I can load them in a dillon case feeder and unload them ready for swaging. Thats kind of where I'm at with it.

I think on the 650 something with a dillon trimmer or even one of the trimmers I have set up would be your best bet. You wont get chamfer and deburr but it would be a clean cut. Not sure what you are capable of as far as 3d design. If you have nothing you can get simple software from a place like emachineshop.com and design the part or parts you need. You can even get a quote from them for what it would cost. I'll try to explain what I think would work but not sure how well I will be able to. You might have to do it in two parts. What I think would work is if the toolhead was cut instead of say an inch thick (not sure of actual thickness and no way for me to check at the moment) but thick enough so that the bottom of the toolhead almost touches the shellplate. You would obviously have to have material removed to allow for the bolt and spring that stick up from the shell plate. You would need to cut a sizing die down short enough that when the shell issized in the die it sticks out of the top of the die far enough to be trimmed. The toolhead in the station where the trimmer would go would have to have material taken from the top far enough down that the top of the cut off die is exposed when installed in the toolhead. Then a second part could be made that would bolt onto the top of the shell plate that has a mount for the trimmer. Obviously you would have to work out the height of the part that sits on top where the trimmer mounts and you would have to work out a system to vaccum the chips out.

Not sure if this makes any sense.

xman777
07-07-2015, 10:20 AM
I think on the 650 something with a dillon trimmer or even one of the trimmers I have set up would be your best bet. You wont get chamfer and deburr but it would be a clean cut. Not sure what you are capable of as far as 3d design. If you have nothing you can get simple software from a place like emachineshop.com and design the part or parts you need. You can even get a quote from them for what it would cost. I'll try to explain what I think would work but not sure how well I will be able to. You might have to do it in two parts. What I think would work is if the toolhead was cut instead of say an inch thick (not sure of actual thickness and no way for me to check at the moment) but thick enough so that the bottom of the toolhead almost touches the shellplate. You would obviously have to have material removed to allow for the bolt and spring that stick up from the shell plate. You would need to cut a sizing die down short enough that when the shell issized in the die it sticks out of the top of the die far enough to be trimmed. The toolhead in the station where the trimmer would go would have to have material taken from the top far enough down that the top of the cut off die is exposed when installed in the toolhead. Then a second part could be made that would bolt onto the top of the shell plate that has a mount for the trimmer. Obviously you would have to work out the height of the part that sits on top where the trimmer mounts and you would have to work out a system to vaccum the chips out.

Not sure if this makes any sense.

It makes perfect sense to me. I have been attempting something close to this for a while but the short case poses a major problem which requires much modification. I have no machine equipment at this point. I do have solidworks design software and 3DCAD for work. I don't design for a living I am instead an automation engineer. I usually pick parts that work together and send them to the design engineers. I am a novice at best in 3D Design software so its brutal for me to poke around until I get it right.
I am however not afraid to try and I could tell you about ten things that won't work for this :)

RLW
07-07-2015, 10:28 AM
Here are a couple photos that might illustrate what I was thinking. I made them real quick so I left out a lot of details like the rail that mounts it to the toolhead in the press and threads and holes for the other die stations and stuff but hopefully it will help make sense of what I wrote in my previous post. Not great photos as I did them and then took photos with my cell phone of my laptop screen.

RLW
07-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I think the short case would be your biggest obstical. That said, the die is simply being used to hold the case to prevent it from spinning when the cutter hits it. You could cut the die down and probably rockset or locktite the die in place.

RLW
07-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Also, just in case you are not sure the one photo is the bottom part that holds the die and the other photo is the top part that holds the trimmer.

clodhopper
07-07-2015, 11:01 AM
What if you just cut away enough of the tool head to provide room for the trimmer, then bolt an addition on the bottom of the tool head. the part bolted on the bottom could be made from much smaller stock, and better quality stock that does not require so much length for strong threads?

xman777
07-07-2015, 11:30 AM
So what I currently have is a 550 toolhead that I cut a deep recess into using a forstner bit. (yes I know please save your time telling me I'm an idiot for using a wood cutting forstner bit on aluminum and I won't have to tell you that its all I have to work with and it did the job.) When I finally get it figured out Ill adapt it to the 650. I'm using the 550 no so the shellpate wont automatically rotate.
I saved the last 4 threads and screwed a lee pistol cutting die in. I have not cut the die yet. I am using a hand crank (currently) lee rapid trim which can do the job.
Drawbacks are this: Shavings, not semi-auto and not super accurate but probably due to the shavings clogging and keeping the rotational arm from seating in the die all the way.
Now what I was trying to do was get from there to something semi auto. Lee makes a chuckable head and those motors that RLW posted should hold that. So what's left is a mount for the motor or a router and a shaft which can get deep enough. Also some machining of vacuum ports so I can get the shavings out. This cut makes a lot of shavings.

RLW
07-07-2015, 07:33 PM
xman777 Looking at a couple of your previous posts, if looks like your not completely limited by funds but you are limited as far as what you can make yourself based on the equipment that you have. You really should go on emachineshop and download their software. I really have minimal experience with 3D design myself as I usually just make things on the fly on manual machines and if I need something drawn up I have a friend that does it for a living so he helps me out. That software is pretty simple and they have enough tutorials that you could get something drawn up. I have never used them but I have messed around with their software a bit. I believe that there are some other simple software solutions you could use to draw something up as well. If nothing else draw something up and see what a few places would charge you for the work.

I did use onlinemachinist for the round mounts for my trimmers. I originally made one out of aluminum and then decided I would get a couple made from steel. Not sure why as the aluminum works fine but I really wanted steel and after making the aluminum on on the lathe I really didn't want to burn the time making two of them myself. For that particular site I had my friend do the drawing for me.

I may give this a shot when I get home as I think the parts would be really simple and the concept might help me out with another project I am working on. In which case you might be able to help me out. What I would need is some dimension off the 650 toolhead so that I could order some material to make the parts. If you can post the height, width and length including the ring that holds the toolhead in place as well as the distance from the toohead to the shell plate when the shell plate is raised all the way up that would help me out a bunch. I basically just need to know the minimum dimensions for ordering material.

xman777
07-07-2015, 08:59 PM
I can get that for you.
On another note, How hard would it be to cut the threads Dillon uses for their trimmer into the lee 40 trim die? That might actually save me all the work. Is there someone following along here with lathe experience that could tell me that its possible to smooth out the die then cut threads to match Dillon's cutter?

RLW
07-07-2015, 11:11 PM
Looking at the lee quick trim die online I'm not sure there would be enough material to make the threads. You might be able to find another die from someone else that can be converted. If you were to take the die to a machinist to put the threads on it would be very simple for them to bore out a hole that the cutter on the trimmer could go into as well.

What might be easier would be to take the threaded mount off the Dillon trimmer and bore that hole out and then thread it in 7/8 x14 to fit the quick trim die. You would have to look into the actual numbers, and make sure that the length would work. If you dont already have a trimmer you might be able to find someone who has one that is burnt out or even try Dillon as they might be able to sell you the individual part.

I ultimately went away from the trim die for a few reasons. I was working on my project at home as well as at the shop so I could get more done and once when moving my press I broke one of the trim dies. I bumped one of the trimmers and it broke pretty easy. Then when I went to purchase another one the only place that made them was out of stock. Now there are more people that make them but I just figured that if there is a possibility of something breaking and my not being able to replace it in a timely manner then I had to have something else. Also I found that with the trimmer being suspended above the die and only open space between the two I was able to clear chips better.

xman777
07-08-2015, 06:37 AM
Dimensions: Arch to Flat (length) 3.5"
height 4" counting the protrusions that slide through the press
thickness 1.25"
Gap when ram is up to shellplate .458"

jmorris
07-08-2015, 02:58 PM
The Dillon motor housing has female threads. The top part of their dies have threads that measure .802 and have a thread count close to, if not, 20 tpi.

guywitha3006
07-08-2015, 09:07 PM
I believe they Dillon top threads are 13/16-20 threads.

The Dillon motor housing has female threads. The top part of their dies have threads that measure .802 and have a thread count close to, if not, 20 tpi.

RLW
07-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I think the threads are 13/16 x 20. That mount on the Dillon motor could be reproduced for pretty cheap. On a lathe it would be a very simple part to make. It sounds like the OP does not own a lathe but if he were to download the software I mentioned earlier and do a couple tutorials he could design the part in a few minutes and have it made. I still think that in order to do it properly he would need a toolhead that sits closer to the shell plate in order to at least place holes in the die for removing chips. Could probably get something like this toolhead and turn it upside down to give a few extra threads and then cut down into the toohead some to create a way for the chips to be pulled out.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2011/10/12/dillon-xl-650-quick-switch-kit-magnumspecial/

guywitha3006
07-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Has anyone seen the "deluxe" Lee power quick trim? Instead of the hand crank it has a drill adapter, and also chamfers and deburs. They dies for 9mm, 40S&W, 45 ACP ect. Might be a cheap way to tinker with the idea? I am sure someone more mechanically inclined then myself could come up with a way to mount a cheap router or similar torque motor? The dies/trimmer may need slight modification in order to trim short enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVdi7tOSA0

xman777
07-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Its what I am using for my tests. I just bought a drill press off craigslist that I want to mount above my press and leave it on for the duration of the trimming.
Some drawbacks so far are brass buildup and that's about it.

RLW
07-11-2015, 11:59 PM
Has anyone seen the "deluxe" Lee power quick trim? Instead of the hand crank it has a drill adapter, and also chamfers and deburs. They dies for 9mm, 40S&W, 45 ACP ect. Might be a cheap way to tinker with the idea? I am sure someone more mechanically inclined then myself could come up with a way to mount a cheap router or similar torque motor? The dies/trimmer may need slight modification in order to trim short enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVdi7tOSA0

If you were able to set it up so that you could clear the chips and possibly power with something other than a drill, this would probably work out real well for what xman is trying to achieve. I'm not sure how easy that would be to set up however.

rasto
07-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Impossible to do so.
I have tried and with a luck just for about 1000 cases after that the die become loose because the trimmer shaved the inner edges and the trimmed case looked like chewed unevenly!!!
The die was cleaned and lubed frequently with milled holes for vacuum cleaner and thread for locking nut.
You need something with ball bearing otherwise won't last and it is not worthy in relation with die cost.
I was switching the drill on by pedal switch and hold it by hand all the time.
The solution seemed simple just to heat thread the die but no way to go, because it has inner plastic insert which won't survive the process.
Just my two cents for further development which is ongoing right now and I will keep you informed ;-)

xman777
07-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Excellent feedback here. Similar results although I haven't worn the die out yet

xman777
07-16-2015, 08:15 PM
So in effort to remedy the plastic bushing problem, I got a bunch of 308 muzzle break timing shims and set the height for cutting which did two things in my case, alleviated the plastic heat warp after about 100 rounds and allowed me to vary my cut length in increments. So far this is a win-win. Thought you'd all like to know. Now Its time to adapt it to work on the progressive.

xman777
08-04-2015, 07:13 PM
I'm not posting yet, but I think I have a solution. A few more tests and tweaks and I'll be there.

xman777
08-14-2015, 12:34 PM
Ok, so I'm about 85%.
I am using the 38/357 toolhead previously mentioned. I have a highly modified 6.8 Dillon trim die that is screwed into the 357 toolhead which is also highly modified with a vacuum port and machined for lower clearance to the shellplate. I need to counter bore the trim die one more time because my cases are coming out at .775 which is close but not quite.
At the end of the day if my cases turn out at .725 trimmed, chamfered and deburred, life is good. Currently I can run the trimmer fully automatic in the 650 modified hardware, but I have to chuck the die in the lathe one more time to take the bore down another .075 or so.

xman777
11-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Ruined my die in the lathe. Started over today... Wish me luck.

guywitha3006
11-05-2015, 11:18 PM
Xman, are you looking to use the actual Dillon trimmer?If you are open to spending a little money fast and friendly, I think, makes their honey badger trimmer mount. It uses Dillon dies but with a 10-25k rpm Bosch router body and an end mill. This may help With your clearance issue as the trimmer can actually go in the die body. I use them for trimming 300 black out without any hesitation. As fast as I can pull the lever it trims. I eventually want a few more so I do t have to reset them every time.

http://fastandfriendlybrass.com/shop/item.aspx/honey-badger-trimmer-adapter/34/

xman777
07-21-2016, 07:12 PM
I have this pretty much tuned in now, but i'm trimming a mite too long. I tried boring the interior of the case trim die but that stuff is really hard. Does anyone have a suggestion for boring out the die without ruining it? I tried to ask CH42 to just bore it deeper for me but it seems everyone is anti getting fancy with their stuff and taking on one lowly custom job. I'm really about to give it up here unless someone thinks they can make a die for me that is slightly deeper on the end that the trim bit goes in. I really don't need much at all, but the loads i prefer to swage would benefit from being cut a bit smaller...
EDIT to be specific, I need the neck of the case to protrude further out of the inside section of the die so the router bit can actually cut it shorter.

BT Sniper
07-21-2016, 07:20 PM
I might be able to help? I haven't read the entire thread though so I'm not exactly sure what it is you need but I have done a lot of work to various dies and if it is a matter of simply trimming a little off the top of yours...... it might be possible.

Send me an PM with a quick break down of exactly what it is your trying to accomplish and what you need.

Brian

BT Sniper
07-22-2016, 12:35 AM
Yep! I'm certain I can help.

PM sent

BT