PDA

View Full Version : Shot off X-sticks tonight..............

Knarley
07-02-2015, 09:54 PM
What a rodeo ride!!
Shot a one hole group at 150 yrds, then shot my second boolit.:oops: It was still on the plate, way over on the other side.
Asked the wife how she likes them, I got glared at. OOps.

Knarley

country gent
07-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Takes some practice and work on positions but they can be very accurate when you get them figured out. I have taken to using them instead of the benches mostly now.

montana_charlie
07-03-2015, 12:49 PM
What a rodeo ride!!
Shot a one hole group at 150 yrds, then shot my second boolit.:oops: It was still on the plate, way over on the other side.
Asked the wife how she likes them, I got glared at. OOps.

Knarley
Did you make sure your barrel was rested in the exact same spot for each shot?
Are you sure the gun wasn't canted?

Since the first round out of a clean barrel may not be trustworthy, I would never shoot less than three ... hoping that two of them would point to some useful information.

CM

Gunlaker
07-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Shooting off of cross sticks takes some getting used to, but when you've got them figured out they work well. What position were you shooting from? I can't shoot sitting very well, but I do OK prone. I've spent many hours playing with positions and figuring out how to get the most from them prone. I think I'll keep learning for a while yet.

Chris.

woodsie57
07-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Could be wrong, but I've always thought they were meant as an impromptu rest for use out in the field while hunting. Not supposed to take the place of a bench rest.

Knarley
07-03-2015, 10:40 PM
We were shooting off a short rondezvou chair. Sitting on the ground isn't really an option, and prone is out. Was the first time in many years for me and for my sweetie. Trying to find a comfy position first, shooting groups will be in a while.
We are basically going to be shooting at a S.A.S.S. State shoot next week, getting our feet wet so to say. The gongs will be @150 & 200 yards off sticks. We have been shooting at paper plates, which are considerably smaller than the gongs, so we might hit a few by accident. I know this is a real "small potatoes "match, but ya gotta start some where, and we are going to be there any-way what the heck. Win, lose or draw, we always have a good time with a bunch of good people. I'm sure we'll get a bunch of "hands on " advice , and I'll try my best to soak as much in as I can. I don't get to converse with BPCR people other than the computer much,once or twice a year, it will be a treat.
Yup I am looking forward to going.
Will be breaking in a new to us tent camper, the tipi is getting to be too much for us to handle any more.Kind of the end of an era so to speak,kinda sad in a way.
But life goes on, life didn't end when I retired the muzzle loader and picked up one of these new fanggled catrige guns.....................

Knarley

country gent
07-03-2015, 11:52 PM
Try one of the tub stools I use one and they are solid have a nice seating area and are easily hieght adjustable. They are around 30.00 in most stores brand new and can be found at garage sales for a few dollars. Iyse one as its easy to get up and down from is wide enough I can support myself when getting up and down. Mine has a 300 lb rating also. How about a pic of you in position it would help with offering advice.

Gunlaker
07-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Could be wrong, but I've always thought they were meant as an impromptu rest for use out in the field while hunting. Not supposed to take the place of a bench rest.

It depends on what you are doing with the rifle. Most types of matches involve shooting off of cross sticks either sitting or prone.

Chris.

Knarley
07-04-2015, 10:49 AM
You are probably right, but, as people start competing, and rules are implemented, so on and so forth............

Knarley

Some how lost the quote: reply to #5

country gent
07-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Alot of BPCR matches and disciplines allow cross sticks as being period equipment. Benches very seldom. Testing in the same manner as shooting in a match when testing allows the load to perform under the same way as it will during the match. SOme times firearms perform much diffrently to being shot from a bench to how they do from positions. alot of NRA high power shooters test from prone with sling and a few sand bags under forward hand. Not quite as steady as the bench but very close to how the rifle will be used including the sling tension on the rifle. On the BPCR rifles shooting from the sticks duplicates the same resting forces on the gun, remember that alot rest out on the barrel that can affect harmonics. Same cheek pressure same holding pressure same forces on the rifle, allowing it to show what it will do during the match. As to cross sticks prone off of sticks can be very solid. A good sitting postion off of sticks is also very steady and stable. A good position allows you to sit up leaving rifle on sticks wipe or blowtube load and drop back to firing position. Keeping the rifle rested on the sticks saves alot of fatigue with these heavier rifles. One big thing is to build your position on the line with Natural Point of aim in mind. BAsically when in position the rifle comes into shoulder and you into position the sights are on the target with little to no muscle needed to "hold" it on the the target.

ELFEGO BACA
07-04-2015, 01:28 PM
143654Here is my setup for shooting off cross sticks using a shorted-legged chair.
it has worked great for shots at gongs from 216 yards to 1160 yards on a 'good' day.

Keith Andersen
07-04-2015, 01:28 PM
country gent

With 3660 posts in 2-1/2 years behind the keyboard how do you find time to shoot?? LOL
KA

country gent
07-04-2015, 01:58 PM
I go out every wensdau and sunday for the day. I will shoot around 100 rds on a sunday. twice a month in the summer I shoot a local shillouette match. I no longer travel to distant matches or multiple day matches due to health reasons.

Knarley
07-04-2015, 02:11 PM
country gent

With 3660 posts in 2-1/2 years behind the keyboard how do you find time to shoot?? LOL
KA
There IS a lot of time between pulling the trigger and hearing the "clank", especially at some of the distances these veteran shooters shoot at.:popcorn:

Knarley

Gunlaker
07-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Ha! That is funny. You might be able to fit a post or two before the bullet hits sometimes :-)

Chris.