PDA

View Full Version : 30 cal boattail bullet

30calcaster
07-02-2015, 08:51 PM
I read a previous thread which had tried to address this problem and seen some fancy pics of boattailed gas checks. I would like to attack the problem from a different and cheaper angle. I would suggest a true 30 cal rebated boattail boolit around 220 gr. Where I would differ in development is to place a perforated gas check into the final driving band when casting. What I would like to know is whether it has been done and whether the lead boattail would be beaten to hell by the powder.

country gent
07-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Several things to be a problem here. 1) is inserting the copper donut perferated ring intop a hot mould. 2nd is doing the previous fast enough to not lose to much heat to maintain good bullets. I suppose the perforated rings could be sitting on a hot plate as a pre heat which may help. 3) maintaining good solid fillout and air removal thru the restricted flow of the perferated ring. 4) a hard enough alloy that the base dosnt obtrate under pressure of firing. It could be pressure formed into a true square base or worse a deformed somewhat boatail of center and elongated or bent. Remeber the base is the driving end of the bullet meaning that any distortion will be magnified at the target. Die cast moulds routinely use insert but they run much hotter and are filled under much more pressure.

Frank46
07-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Either rifle or handloader magazine had an article some years back using gas checks that had the center cut out and inserted with tweezers each time a bullet was cast. I believe it was called wilks? not sure of spelling. Kinda hazy as to how the center was removed though. Osborn punch?. Frank

ohland
07-02-2015, 11:12 PM
wilks

Yup. I posted one as well.

minmax
07-03-2015, 01:21 AM
Was'n that one made from zinc? Or am I thinking of something else.

runfiverun
07-03-2015, 01:42 AM
zinc washers were used as a base. [similar to poured through gas check]

gas checks [copper washers] punched out were placed in the rings between the [non existent] lube grooves and the lead was poured down through them giving you a cast boolit with copper drive bands.

one other one that was done at home and maybe commercially by savage [airc] was copper wire wrapped lead boolits.

30calcaster
07-03-2015, 11:22 AM
yes. I believe it is the Wilks gas check system which I was thinking of. My idea was to have the rebated boattail of alloyed lead after the last driving band. After reading what you folks posted, I'm also wondering whether the Wilks type gas check would handling the job properly now that the support is no longer there to support it, especially because it sits on the last driving band directly exposed to the pressure of burning powder.