PDA

View Full Version : drilling 45 colt brass for wax bullets. ideas

gunoil
07-02-2015, 07:29 PM
ideas and pics would be appreciated:
l want drill 45 colt brass for shotgun primers to shoot wax.
I have samples of each component. I have colt brass.

Your drill units and brass holder pics would be nice.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/D573434F-0BD1-470C-937D-F0BC63EB619D_zpsesbw174t.jpg (http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/putt2012/media/D573434F-0BD1-470C-937D-F0BC63EB619D_zpsesbw174t.jpg.html)

country gent
07-02-2015, 07:36 PM
What equipment do you have available to do this project? What you have to work with will determine how you do it and what you will need.

DougGuy
07-02-2015, 07:53 PM
I chuck cases in a lathe with a 3 jaw chuck. You could almost afford to drive here and bring the stuff with you and we can do it here. I live in Wake Forest, about
18mi north of Raleigh.

gunoil
07-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Thats not awful idea doug. Tia. hum. I had thought of mr williams making me a pilot drill type unit to cut both cuts at one time. One for seating rim of primer and other to drill the loose hole in primer pocket as pic above.

I have hf lil' mill here. A piece of delrin with hole to hold brass and long slot cut to pinch brass in between vise.

dougs ideas sound good, but no laithe here. Might could drive up one day.

gunoil
07-02-2015, 08:47 PM
I do stuff backwards, dont have my uberti yet but l can load 45 colt here with 200gr. I have collected some brass here and washed. 17th & 18th , l think guns plus in spring lake is having quick draw. They already had one gathering. No hurry for me yet, will watch. I know some of them.

GhostHawk
07-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Did you ever really look carefully at a 209 primer? A copper ring, a iron/steel anvil that fits in the base, and a large rifle or pistol primer inserted in the center. At least that what it looks like to me.

And yes I have reloaded a few shotshells with large pistol primers in a spent 209 primer.

So, the question is exactly which primer is in that 209 from the factory?

I'd be willing to bet large pistol primer. So how is that different from the standard large pistol primer?

I could be wrong here, and I'm sure if I am someone will be along to correct me. I'll do my best to eat my crow with style.
But you'd have to convince me first.

country gent
07-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Make a set of vise jaws that bolt in your mill vise from hard wood and bore hole on center line to depth of case below rim ( if you have DRO then 2 or 3 holes and knowing center spacing works). This allows cases to be held tight with out distortion or spinning. one of the simple collet blocks with the correct sized collet will work nicely also. A drill bit form ground to reproduce the seating angle and primers rim cut makes this a one pass operation. Have it ground short with shallow cutting angles for brass so it dosnt grab as hard. Short is stiffer and will help hold center better. keep maybe 1/2"-3/4" of flutes at back of drill and form tool on that. Also have the drill point split and relieved for cutting brass. 4-5 flutes would be ideal for the reamer portion but wont allow it to cut from flash hole to finish in one pass. Use a good quality HSS cobalt drill and run at appropriate speeds.

gunoil
07-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Thanks cg, l will let danny read that at shop. You know mr mcgrath gave me some so l have actual pieces. The primers (as u know) stay loose and are supposed to and are to fall out for re-use. And they use certain make of shotgun primer as you know too. This is growing here, about 100 in ladies club have started. Iam watchin for sure.

country gent
07-02-2015, 10:33 PM
For wax bullet loading I drilled flash holes to .110 or so and used large pistol primers. Poured wax into "blocks at thickness desired for bullets and pressed case mouth into it to cut bullets from block then primed. If you prime first the the bullet air locks ad pushes back out.

scattershot
07-02-2015, 11:39 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just use large pistol primers to begin with? Just enlarge the flashhole, decap with a pin of some sort, and reprime with a piece of dowel on a hard surface. What am I missing?

cuzinbruce
07-02-2015, 11:52 PM
When I did wax bullets, years ago, I just used regular primers in 38 spl cases. Drilled the primer holes out a bit but that was it. Worked OK. Shotgun primers are an interesting idea. First time I heard of using them for this. What do you gain using them?

DougGuy
07-03-2015, 01:08 AM
We used magnum pistol primers in .45 Colt but did drill out the holes to keep them from locking up the gun. There is enough energy to put wax bullets through several layers of good stiff cardboard box. I don't know that a 209 primer will do much more, and might not be worth all the time and trouble of fitting them to brass cases as opposed to using a regular drill bit and enlarging the flash holes and using magnum pistol primers.

gunoil
07-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Yes, like doug said. And they only use certain primers and certain wax boolits also & they give you your ammo at the day of meet. You can reload quick and easy, the primers fall out, the wax is gone down range. The primers set loose in primer pocket.

Below is is one association.
http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com

Moonie
07-03-2015, 10:53 AM
I also did the drill flash hole and used magnum primers in 357 cases. Push them through wax blocks then prime, worked well.

Pigboat
07-03-2015, 11:08 AM
I also did the drill flash hole and used magnum primers in 357 cases. Push them through wax blocks then prime, worked well.

I did this also when my daughter was first learning to shoot a handgun.

gunoil
07-06-2015, 07:05 AM
Are there any cowboyfastdraw members? The brass/nickel is expensive. But some drill their own but you need a double-step drill unit. Look at brass in post #1.

Read this below: it answers alot of ?'s.

http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/generalstore/index.php/wax-bullets-shells-accessories.html?p=1

brad925
07-08-2015, 09:39 AM
If you go to C&R Wax Bullets web site they give you The bit sizes for making 209 primers fit your your cases. As far as just using regular large pistol primers you use an 1/8" bit for enlarging the flash hole. As far as a little more power i started last week using magnum pistol primers in my SAA 45LC cuz my brother gave me a case of them to get rid of them. They worked fine. Some have used just a drill press to make the 209 cases and it worked fine just have to take your time and have a V-block vise to hold the cases straight and steady.

gunoil
07-08-2015, 06:01 PM
l called him, hes thinking one particular pilot drill bit does the double step & from hf. He said use only flat top ssprimers. (shotgun shell) . l have a mill. Can make a brass holder from delrin.

bangerjim
07-08-2015, 06:13 PM
I have always for years just drilled out the flash (<3/16") and used LP MAG primers. Too much bother to use SG primers.

banger

gunoil
07-15-2015, 09:30 PM
cowboy quick draw Saturday @ gun plus, spring lake nc..

timtheartist
07-15-2015, 10:13 PM
I recently started shooting with two local clubs of the Cowboy Fast Draw Assn. I'm the only guy out there using enlarged flash hole large pistol primers in my 45 colt. Everybody else bought 45 colt cases for 209 primers. I was told my cases will not be allowed in a sanctioned match. I'm the only guy at the meets that doesn't fiddle with hand loading 209 primers. I prepare my cases at home. I will modify cases to 209 when I have time but for now my wax bullets seem to fly fast enough. I don't notice any difference between regular and magnum primers. The guns shooting 209 primers have a louder report than mine. Typically around here 209 primers are a third less money than pistol primers. The guys at one club mentioned they like Nobel Sport 209 primers. Nobels are currently $25 a brick. I think they liked Rios as well. Not sure. They didn't like Winchester because they may be a little larger in diameter and therefore difficult to remove with fingernails. Might be a good idea to measure the diameter of several brands of "unfired" primers before buying 209s that are too large.

doc1876
07-15-2015, 11:42 PM
try these:

http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/generalstore/index.php/wax-bullets-shells-accessories/g-45-cfda-shotgun-primer-brass-12ct.html (http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/generalstore/index.php/wax-bullets-shells-accessories/g-45-cfda-shotgun-primer-brass-12ct.html)

http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/

Wax Bullet Brass
CFDA has a complete line of brass that is specially produced for firing wax bullets. In Cowboy Fast Draw the most popular method is powering wax bullets in .45 Colt brass with shotgun primers. Our CFDA Shotgun Primer Brass is exclusively manufactured for this purpose and is not drilled or modified. It is simply the best there is on the market. We also do modify nickel plated brass in both .45 Colt and .38 Special to accept large pistol primers that drop-in and fall- out like our Shotgun Primer Brass, so no loading tools are required. We do not offer .38 Shotgun Primer Brass, as the shotgun primers propel the .38 wax bullets at almost 1,000 fps. We do not carry what we do not recommend.

timtheartist
07-16-2015, 01:44 AM
Thanks Doc Twelve cases as packaged above is all one needs. When I'm at a shoot I've never seen a round go longer than twelve shots. A round is usually first guy to get three winning fast draw times. If two guys are shooting and they both miss a couple times plus both guys have two wins then twelve shots is plenty of ammo. It's amazing how easy it is to miss a two foot round target a short distance away when you're fast drawing. I've seen the slow guy win plenty of times while speedy slings wax everywhere.

I bought the correct size end mill on eBay to do the drilling but by the time I get all set up and drill and clean up etc etc I probably would have been better off paying the twelve dollars. I can mow the lawn in that time and make peace at home so I can sneak out of the house for the next shoot.

Another thing sold at Doc's above link is the electronic timer and target. It's next on my wish list. I like fiddling around with making stuff myself but this is probably another case where buying it works out better than the time to make it. If one of you know better, please let me know cuz buying a timer/target setup ain't cheap.

doc1876
07-17-2015, 08:54 AM
these guys have been around fast draw since the 50s. They were world fast draw champs many times in the 60s, through the 2000s, and still are winning events. They are now both in their 70s, and they shoot so fast, nothing can follow them. I shoot wax boolits with them when I am in town, about once a month, at their targets, and they are shooting around .400 sec. (that is reaction time, firing time, and bullet travel time on the target you are looking at.)
This is Ron Bright, and Bob Arganbright.

doc1876
07-17-2015, 08:55 AM
oh, yea, if you down load the two pictures, and then switch back and forth, that is how fast they shoot!!!

gunoil
07-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Cowboy quick draw came to town today with timers and buzzers. Was free, l did 15 rounds supplied by them all free. l averaged .9. Not realgood.