PDA

View Full Version : remove Savage barrel

dead dog
07-02-2015, 07:13 PM
I got a 35 Whelen barrel for an old Savage 110 tried to remove by holding in barrel vice but it slipped every time. I found a one inch heavy nut at work, cut it in half across the points . Then ground the threads out till it fit on the action . Wrapped flashing around it and put in a vice with the recoil lug against the jaw so it could not spin.Three hard hits with a chunk of fire wood on the wrench it came loose .

plainsman456
07-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Next time put some powdered sugar in the barrel blocks.

And yes sometimes i think they had a very large person or someone with a sick sense of humor put them on.

brtelec
07-02-2015, 09:44 PM
I have a custom wrench that fits over the recoil lug only. That way there is no need to try to hold the action. That, a barrel nut wrench, and a good whack with a dead blow hammer and it is done. I have not had a single one in about a dozen that I needed to use any penetrating oil on.

1johnlb
07-02-2015, 10:21 PM
I use two scrap pieces of 2x4, clamped in a vise with the receiver and bolt installed and sandwiched at the narrow section of the receiver, to stop it from turning. Hold the wrench solid and hit it hard.
That puts very little stress on it and it breaks loose everytime. You can't hit t easy, it has to be hit hard the first time. That way it doesn't put the torque on the receiver and wood blocks and makes the but move.

wrench man
07-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Yep, hold the action with the recoil lug, bust the nut loose and the barrels unscrew with your fingers.

brstevns
07-04-2015, 11:03 PM
I got a 35 Whelen barrel for an old Savage 110 tried to remove by holding in barrel vice but it slipped every time. I found a one inch heavy nut at work, cut it in half across the points . Then ground the threads out till it fit on the action . Wrapped flashing around it and put in a vice with the recoil lug against the jaw so it could not spin.Three hard hits with a chunk of fire wood on the wrench it came loose .I am not understanding just what you did with the 1 inch nut. Can you post a picture?

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-05-2015, 12:08 AM
I forget the actual size, but mike the grooves across the top. We used to just tape two 1" pieces of drill rod the proper diameter at 90-degrees, and use a crescent wrench after clamping the barreled action in a vise with padded jaws. I asked Savage, and they sold me a factory wrench.

Artful
07-05-2015, 12:37 AM
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/288/288765.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/288765/wheeler-engineering-barrel-nut-wrench-savage-10-110
Wheeler Engineering Barrel Nut Wrench Savage 10, 110
The double-ended Savage Barrel Nut Wrench allows easy removal of the barrel nut on both early and late model Savage 10 and 110 series rifles. Will also fit the model 12 rifles. Features two 1/2" square drive holes for a swing bar or torque wrench. Made from 3/16" steel.Includes:
1 Notched Barrel Nut Wrench
1 Brass Shim
1 Smooth Barrel Nut Wrench

$25.49

Rifle 57
07-05-2015, 12:53 PM
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/288/288765.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/288765/wheeler-engineering-barrel-nut-wrench-savage-10-110
Wheeler Engineering Barrel Nut Wrench Savage 10, 110
The double-ended Savage Barrel Nut Wrench allows easy removal of the barrel nut on both early and late model Savage 10 and 110 series rifles. Will also fit the model 12 rifles. Features two 1/2" square drive holes for a swing bar or torque wrench. Made from 3/16" steel.

Includes:
1 Notched Barrel Nut Wrench
1 Brass Shim
1 Smooth Barrel Nut Wrench

$25.49

Artful has the best answer if you are going to be changing barrels on your rifles it is always best to buy the proper tools for the job so you do not twist or damage the action. Even the rear entry wrench that goes in the bolt raceway will twist a action if to much torque is needed to break it loose.

1johnlb
07-05-2015, 02:29 PM
He's already using the wrench like most of the other posters, as stated in the op.

Three hard hits with a chunk of fire wood on the wrench it came loose .

He was having trouble holding the barrel or receiver. And designed his own holding fixture out of a nut. At least that's what I read.

dead dog
07-05-2015, 03:26 PM
I can not post pictures I cut the nut with a bandsaw across the points so the flat part would be clamped in the vice.I have the wrench for the nut . The cut nut let me clamp the action in the vise next to recoil lug without damage.