PDA

View Full Version : bad choice of primers?

Newtire
03-24-2008, 09:31 PM
First, I read about this in several places but decided to give it a try myself.

I loaded up a load of 6.8 gr. AA#7 for my Ruger Blackhawk in .32 magnum with the RCBS 32-98. I loaded 100 with CCI 550 magnum primers & 50 with CCI 500 std primers.

Now, I had read that the .32 mag liked magnum primers from a Ken Water's article long ago & then heard about it on this site but there were mixed reviews (as usual).

My report is, the non magnum primers left alot of black soot on the outside of the cases & weren't very accurate. The 550 loded ones were smacking the 25 yd target in close proximity to one another just like the 6.5 gr. load that had been my previous top load with this gun. The cases were very clean also.

I don't think I'll be going any higher with that powder & that boolit but just wondering if this is a normal thing for this caliber. I kind of figured that it was being said that the slower burners liked the magnum primers but these were pretty crappy loads using the AA#7 & the non magnums.

Anyone have similar results?

Lloyd Smale
03-25-2008, 07:07 AM
I have standarized on cci mag primers in the 32 mag with any powder slower then unique or herco. Ive just allways got better accuracy with them. Youd think with the small case it wouldnt matter but ive seen groups cut in half by using mag primers and it seems like the hotter they are the better. ccis just seem to work in it. I never had simualar results in the 357 for some odd reason though

Newtire
03-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks Lloyd, I will give the standard primers a try with something faster than AA #7 like clays or bullseye & then use the magnums for anything slower. Reason I thought it was weird was that switching to standard primers vs magnums for 30-06 using cast gave me so much better accuracy. Each is a separate animal then.

9.3X62AL
03-25-2008, 10:17 AM
If someone has access to the Ken Waters article on the 32 Magnum, could you give me a PM?

Thank you!

NVcurmudgeon
03-25-2008, 01:06 PM
If someone has access to the Ken Waters article on the 32 Magnum, could you give me a PM?

Thank you!

I have the latest "Pet Loads" book. I'll set it out in the rat hunt pile.

Newtire
03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
I have the latest "Pet Loads" book. I'll set it out in the rat hunt pile.

Is this the one you have?