PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use this kind of Lee set for shotgun reloading

huntersdog
07-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Are these Lee shotgun loaders worth buying vs a $300 Mec one? I was wondering how many shells you folks can do an hour?

Thanks

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=143050&d=1435452307&thumb=1

longbow
07-01-2015, 08:42 PM
I started out that way when I was a young 'un with no money. They work just fine but are slow. I can't say how many rounds an hour I could load but not a lot.

A Lee Loadall would likely be a better choice if you plan on shooting any volume at all.

Having said that, I picked up a used MEC Sizemaster a few years ago and really like it. I paid $150.00 for it and it came with a few accessories including a Universal charge bar so not a bad deal and it was like new.

More recently I picked up a used MEC 600 Junior for $25.00 and it also came with a Universal charge bar and several other accessories. There are deal out there to be had!

In the mean time I would recommend the Lee Loadall as a first press. Inexpensive but it works.

Longbow

anotherred
07-01-2015, 09:12 PM
After using a mec sizemaster for not quite a year I've already upgraded to a progressive. It was fairly quick, but with any volume (200 weekend, couple times a month) it gets old. Yes the lee would work, but only if you shoot very few shells. I also recommend maybe looking into the lee load all over that one you posted. As for a mec, I can get you into a sizemaster 12ga for a little over $200 :bigsmyl2:

gpidaho
07-01-2015, 09:33 PM
I own two MEC 600 Jrs. One in 12ga. one in 20. I have a cabinet full of reloads. You would have to shoot a LOT to need more of a loader and as said above, you can pick them up used at a very attractive price. GP

RogerDat
07-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Watch YouTube video on using the Lee Load All. At $60 they look like they do the job fairly well even if not a fantastic lifetime piece of equipment. The hand whack kits I have one and all I can say is it... works I can make ammo with it.

That kit in your picture looks like one of the nicer more "deluxe" ones.

jmort
07-01-2015, 10:11 PM
I have this one from Lanes, works good
http://www.lanesreloading.com/
Have two Load All's that work just fine
http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-load-all-2
And also have a Sizemaster that works real good. Do not need a progressive, but I only do buck, ball, and slugs.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/450005/mec-sizemaster-single-stage-shotshell-press-410-bore-3?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google&gclid=Cj0KEQjwn86sBRDroPiR0LrSzNYBEiQAzOaSYCR2xLsS ATW2b9FMV9Foxvcp4vrnLd8L6T6d5QpjuREaAswO8P8HAQ

I just love shotguns and reloading shells.

W.R.Buchanan
07-01-2015, 11:00 PM
The biggest problem I have had using a Lee tool for shot shells is gettin a consistent Crimp on the hulls.

If you plan on making more than a few boxes of shells a year then a MEC or other Single Stage Loading machine is a better way to go. I have seen more than a few MEC's go for $25-50, and they are fairly common place at gun shows and garage sales and certainly on Ebay.

There are many brands of Loading Machines for shotshells and virtually any of them if in decent condition can load perfect shells. They also respond really well to being taken apart and cleaned and reassembled. Instructions on virtually any machine are available from their manufacturers or here if you can't find something elsewhere.

I would do a little more research and assess my actual needs and then make a decision which way to go.

The Lee Cartridge Loading tools are very good. The Lee Shotshell Hand Loading tools are no longer made. That should tell you something.

Randy

Mk42gunner
07-02-2015, 12:16 AM
In addition to what Randy said, the other major problem I had was the lack of resizing done by a Lee shotgun loader. Shells tend to stick in the chamber; my 20 ga 870 could usually pull them out, but the ejector on my .410 H&R didn't have a chance.

I started reloading with a Lee Loader Deluxe kit for 3" .410, then got one for 2 3/4" 20 ga. I still have the 20 ga one, but haven't loaded anything with it for over thirty years. The only reason I lament not being able to find the .410 one is because a few years ago they were going for stupid money on ebay.

Robert

runfiverun
07-02-2015, 01:50 AM
the issues I have had with the MEC's is trying to resize a case to feed in a semi-auto shot gun.
but between them and the sizer on the pacific 366 plus doing the final crimp on the 366 too.
I could make shot shells almost nearly as good and about 1/4 as fast as with my ponsess warrens.
and yes I do steel and buck shot with the ponsess's, and 2-3/4 through 3-1/2, and can switch it over to 10-16 or 20ga too.

BCB
07-03-2015, 08:58 AM
I have one that is the same as the one the OP shows, but mine was made by Mequon Reloading Corporation. Mine is for 10 gauge…

I purchased it circa-late ‘70’s when I was still doing a bit of waterfowl hunting…

I use it some now to reload a ½ dozen or so good magnum turkey loads…

Yep, it is a slow critter, but I could tailor loads to exactly what I wanted. By putting the shot column together piece by piece. It loaded some pretty nice and very effective 3 ½ Magnum shot shells…

As the one poster indicated, it didn’t do the best with crimps. I found this to be true with the Federal & Winchester plastic hulls. BUT, with the old Winchester Super X paper hulls, the crimps were picture-perfect—or dang close it and they stayed closed until the primer was hit…

I finally shot most of the paper hulls as they would get pin holes in front of the brass and they were not good, or not safe for the most part…

(Buy the way, anyone have a few of those Winchester Super X paper hulls they might want to sell?)

Anyhow, they were inexpensive—mine has the price tag on it yet, $8.95…

Good-luck…BCB

W.R.Buchanan
07-03-2015, 10:53 PM
The one I have is an older Mechan Company tools as well. I have found several other parts for it including a Wad Guide and a Crimp Starter.

But I have added a new tool to the mix which does make perfect crimps and it is a Ballistic Products Roll Crimper, which you turn with a drill press. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Original-Roll-Crimping-Tool-12ga/productinfo/ROLL12/

I got one for both 12ga. and .410's. and they work really well. You can also run them with a cordless drill motor.

Randy

EDG
07-04-2015, 08:30 AM
huntersdog

The Lee tool in your photo is a collector's item these days. As such it will bring as much as a MEC 600 Jr or MEC 700 Versamec.

The Lee tool has no way to apply a large force for crimping. You might make a lever arm using several pieces of 2X4 to provide the crimping power. Other than that a couple of boxes of ammo will make you abandon the Lee tool.

I have MEC 700 and MEC Sizemaster presses. You can often find a use MEC 600 or MEC 700 for $50 to $75. They are what I consider the minimum for loading shot shells. I also have that Lee tool and I still use it - but for another purpose

I use the Lee tool with a powder scale to put together wad height checking loads.
I assemble a few loads with powder charges that I do not have bushings (for the MEC) using the Lee tool. I can see how the wad height and the height of the powder charge stack up and effect total height of the load. Once I am happy with the load, I dump the shot, force the wad down with the Mec plunger then add the shot back into the case and crimp in the MEC tool. I don't really need the Lee tool but I find it more convenient than jacking around with the MEC while setting up a new load combo.

If you do not shoot too much the MEC 600 or 700 will be a very good tool for you.
If you shoot a lot a MEC 9000 or a MEC grabber might be a better tool in a few years.