PDA

View Full Version : Looking for front site

Darkh2odiver
07-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Looking for a Ruger Blackhawk front sight. In particular one that requires drilling and tapping. Just don't want to mess with silver soldering and re-blueing. I have searched the web and can only find the Ruger re-placement for the 10 1/2" barrel. Thank you.

Jackpine
07-02-2015, 12:14 AM
I assume you intend to drill and tap a Ruger barrel and install the sight. If the existing sight came off, just drill and couterbore the head or order a sight from Ruger or Brownells http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Ruger-/New-Model-Blackhawk-sid721.aspx item #42 on this listing and drill it.

contender1
07-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Then you'll want one from the semi-auto pistols. Most of the SA guns have them welded on. Be sure to check the height to match up to the existing height. Ruger sells them.

bdicki
07-02-2015, 10:44 PM
What happened to the original one, did you cut the barrel?

Darkh2odiver
07-03-2015, 02:56 AM
I plan on shorting the barrel, changing the grip frame, making my own grips, just having some fun with this revolver. This is a project gun but I still want to keep it simple. No soldering but looking for something like the Bowman single action front sight.

bdicki
07-03-2015, 10:16 AM
I had a Super Blackhawk with a shortened barrel that had a sight like your wanting, so they are out there somewhere. I bought the gun like that so no idea where it came from.

dubber123
07-03-2015, 07:55 PM
I know you will probably view this suggestion much like I did, and that is not favorably.. But.. Consider using Acraglas bedding compound. A member suggested it to me to attach the new front sight to my thin barreled New Vaquero. He had done it long ago, and never had an issue. I tried it, and it seems to make an extremely strong bond. I roughed up both barrel and sight, and used rubber bands to hold it in position. I have been shooting it with some pretty hot loads, and no problems so far.

I used the 10-1/2" .44 sight. It is pretty high and allowed me a good bit of room for customization. Good luck.

Darkh2odiver
07-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Dubber 123

Thank you for the suggestion! Did you use the standard Acraglas or the gel? That gives me a whole lot more sight options. Sounds like metal prep will be the key.

W.R.Buchanan
07-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Look into a Weigand front sight. They have interchangeable blade inserts and I believe they have one that can be attached with screws.

This will give you the most options.

Randy

dubber123
07-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Dubber 123

Thank you for the suggestion! Did you use the standard Acraglas or the gel? That gives me a whole lot more sight options. Sounds like metal prep will be the key.

Regular Acraglas. I roughed up both surfaces using the corner of a file, and degreased very well. If it is a front sight with a screw attachment, the Acraglas will extrude up through the hole and help with the bond as well. I didn't like the idea at first, but it seems very strong. Much stronger than the factory soldered on front sight that came off easily. Good luck.