I have a Rem Wingmaster 20 Guage

I have a grandson that I can bribe to pull my trap cocking arm back

I love to shoot traps,

I would like to start reloading shot shells

I have reloaded some metallic shells, but never shot shells

Where do I start?

Is the Lee press good?

Books?

Where is the best place to buy consumables?

Do you make your own shot?

I know I will have more questions, but ....

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Clint

Scrounger
03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Buy a MEC Sizemaster. Simple, easy, reliable. About $200 new, you can probably find one on EBAY for $50 or half that at the gunshows. At the prices of powder and shot today, your timing is atrocious!

oso
03-24-2008, 08:48 PM
For trap shooting go with a progressive reloader as Scrounger suggested. I like the universal charge bar for the MEC because I do so many different loads, if you have a few set recipes the bushings are fine. I don't make my own shot as I use reclaimed shot from gun clubs, which may also be a good source for other components. Take a look at all the books available to you. MEC and Lee press manuals are available online.

RugerFan
03-24-2008, 08:53 PM
I personally wouldn't use the Lee shot shell press (last time I saw one it was mostly plastic). If you're on a budget, the Lee Loaders are cheap on eBay, but are tedious to use. I have a MEC 600 Jr which sells for around $135.00 new and may very well outlast the user. A very good press.

Scrounger
03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
The Sizemaster isn't a progressive, it's single stage. Progressives are definitely not for the beginner. I had 15 years experience on single stage presses before I bought a progressive. I still ended up with shot on the floor regularly. And even worse, shells without powder. The press was so smooth sometimes the powder wouldn't fall out of the bushing. And that really messes up your mind. I sold it and went back to single stage. No shot on the floor, no powderless shells, and I could still load a months worth of shooting in a few hours.

turbo1889
03-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Not trying to be a spoil sport here but if all we are talking is shells for breaking clays in the 20ga. you might reconsider your plans to reload. With the present price of conponents unless your using reclaimed shot and surplus powder it's hard to save money on reloading clay busting loads compared to the price for a promo 100 shell pack at Wally-World.

Heavy feild loads and such you can still save money by reloading but for the lighter stuff it's pretty hard to beat the price of the promo shells with standard off the shelf components.