PDA

View Full Version : Easy high volume PC baking.

berksglh
06-30-2015, 10:09 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/30/3a6edd802cd6767591e500304c7cccd1.jpg

After baking some long 223 rnds, and settling on laying them down, the only blemishes left was from them touching each other while baking.

Tonight's new process, see the picture. Worked AWESOME!

A standard cooking drying rack on a cookie sheet, wrap your non stick foil over the ends and run your fingers over and in line with the top ribs of the rack and you get nice little troughs to set the rnds in. Super easy and fast.

[emoji41]

RegisG
06-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Did you bake them standing up or laying down? Did I miss something?

Regis

VHoward
06-30-2015, 10:56 PM
Bake them lying down. When I dry tumble coat, the bullet gets coated everywhere and the spot they rest on when baking does not deform in my experience. That rack is a cool idea.

berksglh
07-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Laying down. These are so small and long being 72 grain 223 that its a PITA to stand them up and not tip over when moving.

The rows made from the rack keep them from sticking (touching) while baking and moving so no blemishes and no clumps of bullets all baked together.

There is hardly a mark on them from baking like this.

Short 45cal pistol is just as easy to set on end, but for long bullets, this is a breeze.

Walter Laich
07-01-2015, 05:07 PM
might have to try this with my 158 gr .38 Sp. bullets. I'm too shaky to move them without them falling over

nagantguy
07-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Thanks for sharing I've also found laying them on tin foil when dry tumbling don't seem to hurt them a bit, at least my idpa scores haven't suffered they are as bad as always.

cstrickland
07-07-2015, 08:14 AM
how are you transferring them to the tray, are you using a hemostat or are you just picking up with gloved hands ??

berksglh
07-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Tweezers.

cstrickland
07-07-2015, 09:26 AM
I need to try that. I have had some success standing them up , but can only get about 30 then it just gets to be too much . Is that the NOE bullet, if so how do you like it?

HATCH
07-07-2015, 09:28 AM
when I do the hitek coating I just spread them out

berksglh
07-07-2015, 11:31 AM
when I do the hitek coating I just spread them out
When baking, if they touch, especially side to side, they clump together like you epoxied them. The long little 223 rnds clumped bad, and standing on end was a total pain.

This solved all those issues for me and was super easy and fast.

berksglh
07-07-2015, 11:34 AM
Is that the NOE bullet, if so how do you like it?

Yes, the 228_72g

My ongoing write up:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=279911

bangerjim
07-07-2015, 11:55 AM
This works for my rifle slugs.....been doing this for well over a year and a half now.

Minimal lay marks.

I use 1/4" hardware cloth covered with NSAF on my standard oven racks. Just pop it off and on when I need to bake long skinny boolits.

I really do not consider this "pick & lay" method any higher volume than the standard "pick & set" I use for larger base boolits. You still gotta pick each one up with hemos and lay them in the grooves. Definitely higher volume than ESPC for this style of boolits!

bangerjim

cstrickland
07-07-2015, 01:12 PM
This works for my rifle slugs.....been doing this for well over a year and a half now.

Minimal lay marks.

I use 1/4" hardware cloth covered with NSAF on my standard oven racks. Just pop it off and on when I need to bake long skinny boolits.

I really do not consider this "pick & lay" method any higher volume than the standard "pick & set" I use for larger base boolits. You still gotta pick each one up with hemos and lay them in the grooves. Definitely higher volume than ESPC for this style of boolits!

bangerjim

bangerjim, yeah I would agree but right now the most I can bring my self to do with the shake n bake method is about 20. Just trying to stand them damn little things up drives me crazy, if I can just lay them down and the come out nice I could see me doing them in batches of 100 which would be good for me on 223.

cstrickland
07-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Yes, the 228_72g

My ongoing write up:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=279911

yep that's what I thought they looked like. I have the .225 - 70 gr version I bought a while back. I will have to read through your thread. Thanks for the link.

bangerjim
07-07-2015, 03:28 PM
bangerjim, yeah I would agree but right now the most I can bring my self to do with the shake n bake method is about 20. Just trying to stand them damn little things up drives me crazy, if I can just lay them down and the come out nice I could see me doing them in batches of 100 which would be good for me on 223.

That is why I played around with several methods for the 223 and 30 cal slugs.

I tried washers, wires, grommets, drilled holes, brass cases, nose down, nose up, holding my mouth just right.....just about anything I could think of. All were about the same time "black hole". And some did not give me what I wanted.

And then I got the idea of just pressing NSAF into the grooves in hardware cloth. Just putting them on a flat surface rack, they will roll around off and into each other like crazy...waste of time and material. But the hardware cloth solved the rolling with the grooves it creates in the NSAF. Very minimal lay marks and even then, that it totally covered with the PC resin. I have the same pieces of NSAF I put on 6 months ago! Many bakes and it is still good.

Some 224's I just did with that method:
Only had 5 throw-backs from the above ~500 coated ones.

That is my new NOE 5 cavity brass mold! No more Bator for me.

Using ZipLok screw-on containers, I can easily do 80-100 at a time of those little dudes. I just grab a handful and throw them in.

Works for me!

banger