PDA

View Full Version : silver vase in the pot?

nekshot
06-30-2015, 04:14 PM
MY daughter is throwing out a silver vase and I kept it thinking of putting it in the pot with a little lead to melt, is this possible?

John Boy
06-30-2015, 04:37 PM
I kept it thinking of putting it in the pot with a little lead to melt, is this possible?
1,763°F - Good Luck
​Silver price per ounce - $15.85

mozeppa
06-30-2015, 04:48 PM
the lone ranger did it.

Rattlesnake Charlie
06-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Not with normal boolit casting equipment. The melting point of silver is over 1700 deg F.

DonMerlin
06-30-2015, 05:38 PM
Got a vampire problem? Or is that werewolf?

Tackleberry41
06-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Silver is supposed to kill werewolves, tho you ask how did they figure this out? Me and my son were watching a movie and he was asking questions, no I have no idea where they come up with some of this stuff. Was silver a process of elimination during some sort of werewolf infestation?

DonMerlin
06-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Didn't Abe Lincoln pour silver on his axe blade in "Abe Lincoln, Vampire Killer"?

William Yanda
06-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Silver, silverplate? If marked quadraplate, or E.P.B.M. that is electro plated britania metal, it would add tin to the alloy.

RogerDat
06-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Silver plate is silver on some other metal. Copper was common but then so was pewter or Britannia Metal which is also high tin. Cut it and see if the core is copper. Or if it is soft enough to bend easily then probably not copper so might be something good.

Silver will probably end up floating on the top as dross. Getting melt hot enough to melt silver would be hot enough to put much more lead vapor in the air, not really a good thing unless you have the safety equipment and skills for that type of working environment. Do have to wonder if silver would alloy with something that would in turn go into the lead pot easily. Think about how copper is added by mixing tin and copper first and some copper alloys with the tin at temps well below melting point of copper.

RegisG
06-30-2015, 07:54 PM
I taught a class for a few years in Delft Clay casting. It was primarily for one-of-a-kind gold or silver casting but, in every class someone brought a boolit to cast. We used either acetylene/air or acetylene/oxygen to melt the metals in small ceramic crucible. There are a number of youtubes on the process. Could actually be done with sand but, I've never tried it.

Regis

seawolf
07-06-2015, 01:36 PM
if you do a search on silver plate the plating can be removed in a brine solution with a battery charger and a lead anode. Usually there will be a thin coat of copper under the silver. If you have the time and enough silver plate some money can be made.
Grind a small area and take to a scrap yard heir XRF will show what the core metal is.
Mark

bangerjim
07-06-2015, 05:58 PM
if you do a search on silver plate the plating can be removed in a brine solution with a battery charger and a lead anode. Usually there will be a thin coat of copper under the silver. If you have the time and enough silver plate some money can be made.
Grind a small area and take to a scrap yard heir XRF will show what the core metal is.
Mark

At the ridiculous low price of silver today, plating it off is definitely a total waste of time. Besides, what you are left with would have no value because it would NOT be assayed or stamped as 99.9 silver.

Most of the "carp" people think is REAL silver is just plated garbage. REAL STERLiNG silver is something unique and I can spot clear across the room! Definitely different than all that plated garbage out there. Silver is very light weight compared to pot metal/copper base metal plated stuff. If you are lucky the base metal may be Britannia metal as said. Then the piece may be worth faaaaar more than the small amount of Sn you will ever get out of it. Just buy your Sn on S&S on here.

I have found a lot of solid sterling silver candlesticks and salt/pepper shakers at the scrap yards for the price of Pb!

If you want some silver, buy some old half dollars or old silver dollars! I bought 75# of halves a few years ago. Those are worth more than those stupid coins they sell on TV or bars of silver.

Alloying Ag with Pb is darn near impossible outside of a lab or specialized operation.

bangerjim

RogerDat
07-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Hmmm one more argument for ML. easier to cast silver into round ball for werewolf invasion. Still want to keep something in an auto loader around in case the zombie apocalypse happens first. Or at the same time! How cool would that be? My bad. Hardest thing about potential zombie apocalypse, not letting excitement show.

Do wonder if one poured molten silver into molten lead or vice versa would the silver solidify? Float? Or mix in? Since silver was plated onto lead/tin alloys I assume there is some ability for the items to bond, via process or solution.