PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice: to sell or not to sell ?

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-30-2015, 12:03 PM
Disclaimer: I am not seeking buyers, do not respond here or PM me, about WHAT or HOW MUCH $$$. I am just looking for opinions, as I am struggling to come to a decision.

=======================

OK, back in early April I had an auction and sold a major portion of my gun collection with the plan of reducing the number of calibers I cast and load for. Obviously, I also planned on selling all the molds/brass/dies/tooling for each of those (nine) calibers. The Plan was to raise funds for buying a different house, I have since changed my mind on a real estate change.

I am fine with the selling of the Guns. But, as to all the accessories, many items are custom to cast boolit loading, they took a long time to search out and/or have custom made. The money generated isn't really needed now, it'd just go into a investment fund.

ALSO, I don't plan on buying any guns in those calibers, but I tend to change my mind...stumble onto a "too good to be true" deal and such. Maybe I could keep some ? but which calibers? How much of this "Material" do I keep ? Do I get rid of it all and free up my guest bedroom, and just plan on re-buying it at higher prices, if/when I stumble onto the gun I hadn't planned on buying ?

Thanks for any input or personal experiences you can share.
Jon

fishhawk
06-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Well you don't have to feed it and it's all paid for I would keep it myself. Only going to get more valuable in the future.

starmac
06-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Seeing as I have severalsets of dies, brass and components for calibers I have never owned, I'm probably the wrong one to give advice on this.

sparky45
06-30-2015, 12:11 PM
Disclaimer: I am not seeking buyers, do not respond here or PM me, about WHAT or HOW MUCH $$$. I am just looking for opinions, as I am struggling to come to a decision.

=======================

OK, back in early April I had an auction and sold a major portion of my gun collection with the plan of reducing the number of calibers I cast and load for. Obviously, I also planned on selling all the molds/brass/dies/tooling for each of those (nine) calibers. The Plan was to raise funds for buying a different house, I have since changed my mind on a real estate change.

I am fine with the selling of the Guns. But, as to all the accessories, many items are custom to cast boolit loading, they took a long time to search out and/or have custom made. The money generated isn't really needed now, it'd just go into a investment fund.

ALSO, I don't plan on buying any guns in those calibers, but I tend to change my mind...stumble onto a "too good to be true" deal and such. Maybe I could keep some ? but which calibers? How much of this "Material" do I keep ? Do I get rid of it all and free up my guest bedroom, and just plan on re-buying it at higher prices, if/when I stumble onto the gun I hadn't planned on buying ?

Thanks for any input or personal experiences you can share.
Jon

If that investment fund, as cited above, involves stuffing the money into your Mattress, I would say yes. If it's "invested" with the Money Changers on Wall Street, I'd say keep the supplies.
S45

WILCO
06-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Well you don't have to feed it and it's all paid for I would keep it myself. Only going to get more valuable in the future.

Ditto for me.

williamwaco
06-30-2015, 12:19 PM
Jon,

If you have to ask that question of your self, let alone us, the answer is NO!

that is an irreversable decision. It reduces your future options. You should never do that unless you are sure.

dilly
06-30-2015, 12:22 PM
Depends on a lot of things. If you just hang onto it until you die, then your wife or other heir has to figure out how to sell equipment she doesn't know, care about or understand. You might be better off selling it now in that way. You could always just buy silver with the money and then it will increase in value probably more than the reloading stuff, be easier to store, easier to inherit, and not have hardly any risk.

TenTea
06-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Make a decision and develop your strength of *sticktoitofness* as Grandpa used to say...haha.

I'm a *keep it simple and streamlined* kind of guy, but I'm not like everybody else -{----< Grandpa used to say that too!

gtgeorge
06-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Like said right off is you don't have to feed them and they are paid for. I personally would hold on to them but then again would have done the same with the firearms. I buy things because I want them and for their value if it becomes a have too or a need in the future. I am sure it will all go up in value as well if you truely decide they are not needed or wanted.

oneokie
06-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Another vote to keep the items.

country gent
06-30-2015, 12:36 PM
I have only sold a few guns and equipment over all the years Ive been shooting. Almost all Ive regreated at some point. The gifts to friends and others no. but the ones Ive sold just to raise funds I have regreated. Be very sure of what YOU want and want to accomplish before proceeding on. Even though you no longer have firearms in these calibers the equipment dosnt require alot of up keep. Alot as you stated is custommade or special use so selling it may behard and require some time to do. ( Just finding a buyer for a custom built rifle can be hard let alone the specialty equipment for one with out the rifle.) Another issue what you want to accomplish with this and How you want to do this.

ascast
06-30-2015, 12:38 PM
my $0.02 reloading equipment does not increase in value over time. Then exception is old stuff that was maybe collectable years ago. I would turn it in to cash to support current addiction needs.

HarryT
06-30-2015, 12:43 PM
If you'll never use it again and there's people out there who need it, it's time to let it go. Use the money to buy a surprise for your wife or grandchildren.

fishhawk
06-30-2015, 12:45 PM
my $0.02 reloading equipment does not increase in value over time. Then exception is old stuff that was maybe collectable years ago. I would turn it in to cash to support current addiction needs.

But replacement cost does go up. And who knows what the future holds.

bangerjim
06-30-2015, 01:11 PM
A recent meeting of financial experts last week issued a statement about the US$ and our stability.

The conclusions were:
1) We could easily follow in the path of Greece.
2) All investments (stocks, bonds, IRA's) could be potentially worthless or near it
3) Nobody will want gold, so sell it now
4) The new "gold standard" will be................wait for it...............AMMO & GUNS!

I would NOT sell anything right now.

banger

southpaw
06-30-2015, 01:58 PM
I can't imagine selling something if I didn't need the money for something else (even then I am known to work more instead of selling). Wait till something comes up that you want more than what you have. Should that not happen let your kids/grandkids worry about it. You never know, you or they could develop a need for them. As stated a few times already, they don't eat anything. My vote: keep em.

Jerry Jr.

oneokie
06-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Plug this search string into your favorite search engine:
Opportunity Cost
And do some reading.

Duckiller
06-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Hold on to everything for at least 5 years if not 10. If you haven't got guns to use them by that time you may want to sell some of your stuff. You sold guns to raise fund and the reason changed. I would guess that you will purchase some of those calibers back in the next 5-10 years and need these tools.

buckwheatpaul
06-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Your whole idea was to reduce the number of calibers you were loading for....If you are serious about that approach then I would take my time and sell those items that do not lend themselves to keeping you loading only for those few calibers you decided you wanted.....I know you said you tend to walk into great deals but when you no longer have the other part of the equasion then you will be less tempted plus the $'s you realize from the sale will allow you to do more reloading and casting in those calibers you chose....that is my 2 cents worth.....Paul

koehn,jim
06-30-2015, 03:26 PM
I have often gotten rid of something I did not expect to need and shortly wish I still had it. The quality of molds and dies that you have may never again be available. As others have said wait a bit you can always sell later.

historicfirearms
06-30-2015, 03:30 PM
I am a keep it simple type of guy. If you haven't used something in 2 years, that thing is not worth keeping around. The idea that the things you own wind up owning you is all to true.

rancher1913
06-30-2015, 04:03 PM
its paid for I assume, if you have the space to store it and don't need the money, leave it sit, its better than money in the bank and you can always sell it later when you need the money. if you owe on something or pay to store something then it would be better to sell and eliminate the expenses

LUBEDUDE
06-30-2015, 05:59 PM
If you admit that you are an addict (gun, Reloader, caster), then you may as well hang on to it. Because you will end up with it all again, maybe at higher prices and poor quality.

DLCTEX
06-30-2015, 08:37 PM
I have sold few guns/related items that I didn't later regret selling. If you aren't in need of money keep it and log the items with their approx. value and maybe where you think they can be sold for the most money so that your family can have good advice if they should choose to sell. If things go bad as some predict, you may be sitting on a gold mine.

MT Gianni
06-30-2015, 08:51 PM
I got down to 4 rifle calibers a while back and sold off the other molds and cases. [22. 7, 30 and 35] It lasted a couple of years and I got back into the 243 on a screaming deal. I have not shot cast in it but would if I had the stuff. That lets you know my opinion on selling off the accessories. 2nd point is you rarely get what you paid for in value.

RayinNH
06-30-2015, 08:52 PM
Do I get rid of it all and free up my guest bedroom

Jon

Jon I'm willing to store it for you. You can recall it at any time. Your welcome.

OldFogey
06-30-2015, 09:11 PM
While its fine to seek advice on this, in the end, you are the one who will have to live with the decision. Those of us giving advice, do not.

All I can really tell you is that a few years ago, I was forced to sell everything just to survive after being injured. At the time, there were some of the guns, reloading equipment, etc., that I thought I would never miss all that much and others that really HURT to let go of.

Now...........I REALLY miss some of those things that I didn't think would really matter to me. I"ve been fortunate in that I have been able to buy/trade back for a small part of it.

If you change your mind later, how much will it bother you that it is gone?????????

Rick

Gar
06-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Well, it seems you have been given plenty advice so I won't offer anymore.
I will tell you of my experience.
Many years ago I had accumulated all the reloading and casting equipment I needed.
About twenty five years ago I moved to a different state and took it all with me.
My new location and job didn't leave me with much time for shooting much less for reloading. When I moved four years later, I decided to sell the majority of the stuff. I didn't think I'd really have the time to use it.
BIG MISTAKE!
Jump forward 10 years and I found I had the time and yearning to starting shooting again.
Talk about sticker shock when I started to replace all the equipment I sold!

I for one will keep all of it and let my heirs deal with it when I leave!

Artful
06-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Jon I'm willing to store it for you. You can recall it at any time. Your welcome.

Nice Offer, And in Arizona it would have a nice Dry storeage location - So I'll extend the same offer :bigsmyl2:

Beagle333
06-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Keep it all. I got molds, dies and brass for calibers I've never owned, and some I really am not even pursuing owning. It only gets more valuable! Oil it up and store it!

bdicki
06-30-2015, 10:13 PM
I think it would depend on how old you are, if relatively young I would keep it. I'm 64 and I decided to reduce calibers and unload the stuff no longer needed.

Hogtamer
06-30-2015, 10:21 PM
unless you have kids or others important to you that share your interest, sell it. It will save you from rolling over in your grave when it's sold on ebay or yard sale after you're gone. Don' me to sound trite but you 've prolly bought enough "estate sale" stuff to know it's true. "Item #38: a box of lead bullet molds. $30"

crowbuster
06-30-2015, 10:39 PM
keep it

MaryB
06-30-2015, 11:50 PM
Sell molds for 2/3 what you paid only to replace them at 5/4 the price down the road when you change your mind... keep them!

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-30-2015, 11:51 PM
thanks for all the advice so far...it's helping.

Bzcraig
07-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Jon,

If you have to ask that question of your self, let alone us, the answer is NO!

that is an irreversable decision. It reduces your future options. You should never do that unless you are sure.

I agree with this wholeheartedly! You're not ready to get rid of it.

kudoo
07-01-2015, 07:58 AM
I thought we both agreed the other day, you were to get all this stuff together and I'd come down and pay you one third of what it's worth, that way we both would be HAPPY. KUDOO

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-01-2015, 10:30 AM
I thought we both agreed the other day, you were to get all this stuff together and I'd come down and pay you one third of what it's worth, that way we both would be HAPPY. KUDOO

garym1a2
07-01-2015, 12:13 PM
I would sell what you don't want and use the money to buy what you want. the price of both goes up about the same rate.

Char-Gar
07-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Well you did ask for input and experiences, so here you are....

You are way overthinking life in general and gun ownership in particular. Buy, own and posses guns you want and don't buy, own or posses guns you don't want. The only limit to owning the guns you want is your ability to purchase them. Guns are a decent investment and will increase in value as well as most stock portfolios. When you get old sell some to pay for your funeral and leave the rest to your heirs to deal with except a few you give to certain kids, grandkids and friends.

There are some very serious decisions to make in this life, but yours isn't one of them.

NavyVet1959
07-01-2015, 12:26 PM
If that investment fund, as cited above, involves stuffing the money into your Mattress, I would say yes. If it's "invested" with the Money Changers on Wall Street, I'd say keep the supplies.
S45

My experience has been a bit different. When I look at the performance charts on my investments over the last 12 years, I can see what my balances would have been if I did not invest the money (basically the equivalent of stuffing it in the mattress) vs the current value given my investments. The current value is about 3 times what it would have been if I had just "stuffed it in my mattress).

During that same period of time, silver has gone from around $5 per oz to over $45 per oz and is now at $15.65 per oz.

http://www.infomine.com/ChartsAndData/GraphEngine.ashx?z=f&gf=110576.USD.ozt&dr=max

Sounds good... Unless you bought it at the $45 per oz... :(

Blammer
07-01-2015, 12:37 PM
sell it, buy stuff you will use presently.

Preacher Jim
07-01-2015, 12:45 PM
just my two cents but every time i have sold something i have come upon a reason i wish i had it back. maybe to help a friend or because i aqquired a new toy. been loading 57 years and i still have most of the stuff i started with. somethings i sold i had to buy back at twice what i paid originally. MHO

osteodoc08
07-01-2015, 12:47 PM
A recent meeting of financial experts last week issued a statement about the US$ and our stability.

The conclusions were:
1) We could easily follow in the path of Greece.
2) All investments (stocks, bonds, IRA's) could be potentially worthless or near it
3) Nobody will want gold, so sell it now
4) The new "gold standard" will be................wait for it...............AMMO & GUNS!

I would NOT sell anything right now.

banger

Do you have a link to the article?

shooter2
07-01-2015, 04:06 PM

Well, maybe yes, maybe no. If it were me I would sell and invest with a known return, but to each his own.

RogerDat
07-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Do you have a link to the article?

I too would like to know how the US could "follow the path of Greece" two huge differences make that impossible. Our debt is almost all in dollars and we print that currency. Greece on the other hand owes Euros to pay debt and does not have them, with no way to get them they default. Not saying that devaluation ride the US could take if it had to print money to pay debts would not painful, it would be. As would the interest rates if we went down "that road" of pumping out a devalued currency but it has nothing in common with the Greek road. Greece if not in the Euro zone could have used it's devalued currency to spur exports and tourism which might have helped get the economy moving. As it is they are sooo hosed.

Now on that selling or not selling stuff. The most important issue I think is what do you value in your life? Let us say what will make you happy when you lay your head on the pillow tonight because who knows about tomorrow.

Now some would get some satisfaction from knowing that the equipment sitting there allows them to return to a hobby if they so choose. Looking at those selves full of "stuff" would bring them contentment at the possibilities.

Others have correctly pointed out other things you purchase today with the money from selling might bring you enjoyment and just as the price of what you own may go up so to might those other items. If selling these items lets you purchase say photography equipment that you will use or do things that you enjoy with people you enjoy. That has value.

On regrets I think it would be odd if you did not have some. Took you a long time to accumulate what may well be an impressive and very complete set of tools. Good chance you won't see the same thing again. Might see as good, might even see better but not the same. If someone came and offered you a good price for the lot, would you go to sleep that night content? Excited at what you might now do with that space or the money? Or just regretting the loss?

I like having some money in the bank to take care of business but I don't actually "enjoy" money, I enjoy what money allows me to do. So adding to an investment fund don't really rock my world. If it will make you feel a bit more secure about your future or the future of those you care about then by all means investing the money would probably work for you.

After a certain age it does pay to consider what are you willing to expect your spouse or heirs to take on, and could you handle it much better than they would, satisfaction can be had over knowing you have "taken care" of something that would have to be done eventually. If my health declines beyond a certain point I would certainly be looking at how can I take care of all my "junk" so my wife or kids don't have to.

Just like not going to sleep angry at a spouse, not going to sleep with regrets for the choices of the day is a good tool to help one stay if not always happy at least content with the choices you made from the available options.

NavyVet1959
07-01-2015, 05:13 PM
I like having some money in the bank to take care of business but I don't actually "enjoy" money, I enjoy what money allows me to do.

I like what money allows me *not* to do (i.e. "work").

But the question becomes, "When is it enough?"

I'm sure that many of us around here can remember when the idea of being worth $1M was a sort of goal that we hoped to achieve since we thought that it would mean that we were financially well-off, would not have to work anymore, and could just "live on the interest". Well, interest rates are down and things are more expensive, so achieving that goal doesn't really have the same satisfaction anymore. That $1M in 1975 would need to be $4.42M today just due to inflation.

So, even though I *might* have enough to live on for the rest of my life, I don't know that for a fact. Besides, I don't know how long I'm going to live. The US has an average life expectancy for men of 76 and women of 81. But, that is just "average". Some people might be average and some might live for another 20-30 years. I would rather that at the end of my life I had money left over than to run out of money before I ran out of life. :)

Thus, I can't just move all my money to cash and live on it. I have to keep investing (i.e. playing the market).

AggieEE
07-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Some really good advice here for both sides. My .02. Nobody knows when they are going to die until its a little too late, however, if you are in good health I would say keep them and leave instructions with your execitor (sp) of your will to go to this site and ask for current selling prices of your items. I think the members here would give your heirs a good faith estimate and/or a fair offer to buy. Yes I have sold things I wanted back and some things I didn't. I'm a pack rat just ask anybody that knows me.

tygar
07-01-2015, 09:24 PM
I seldom have buyers remorse but I sure as hell have sellers remorse on selling "any" guns or reloading items.

MaryB
07-01-2015, 10:45 PM
I dollar cost average my silver inventory(investment). When it hit $45/oz I sold enough to bring the cost of the rest to zero, now I am sitting around $7oz cost because I snagged some deals on mercury dimes(I have a weak spot for these)

My experience has been a bit different. When I look at the performance charts on my investments over the last 12 years, I can see what my balances would have been if I did not invest the money (basically the equivalent of stuffing it in the mattress) vs the current value given my investments. The current value is about 3 times what it would have been if I had just "stuffed it in my mattress).

During that same period of time, silver has gone from around $5 per oz to over $45 per oz and is now at $15.65 per oz.

http://www.infomine.com/ChartsAndData/GraphEngine.ashx?z=f&gf=110576.USD.ozt&dr=max

Sounds good... Unless you bought it at the $45 per oz... :(

Rufus Krile
07-01-2015, 11:43 PM
Hello... I'm Rufus and I'm a packrat. I've long been a packrat and my illness has affected loved ones in the past. Packrats Anonymous teaches us that it's OK to 'store' stuff if there's any possibility of future use. The motto here is "He who dies with the most toys, wins." If your heirs have to sort it out after you've gone on... well, it isn't YOUR problem after all....