PDA

View Full Version : Lee hardness tester question

RegisG
06-29-2015, 06:49 PM
I'm interested in getting more accurate than pencil testing for hardness. Can you use the Lee hardness tester to check an ingot or do you have to cast a bullet?

Thanks,
Regis

Eddie17
06-29-2015, 07:13 PM
I have filed a flat base into my ingots, measured, and have read similar readings from cast bullets from the same batch.
My 2 cents worth!

RegisG
06-29-2015, 07:21 PM
I have filed a flat base into my ingots, measured, and have read similar readings from cast bullets from the same batch.
My 2 cents worth!

I was hoping someone tried this.
Thank you,
Regis

John Boy
06-29-2015, 08:52 PM
I test and age each batch of ingots, 1 & 2 pounders. At the end of 45-60 days, the batch is tested again and final Bhn is marked on each ingot. Rarely test bullets because I know the hardness of the ingots used for casting

bangerjim
06-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Technology of measuring hardness of lead alloys - worst to best:

drop on the floor and listen to sound
thumbnail indent
pencil test
Lee tester
Saeco and other brands
Cabine Tree tester

I had a Lee early on but now use only the Cabine Tree tester because it tests any shape anywhere anytime. I even take it to the scrap yards. Try that with the press-dependent Lee.

I only test ingots and never mess with boolits anymore since switching to the Cabine.

You do NOT need to file a flat spot on anything and squint thru a poorly-lit microscope to read a dent with the CT tester.

If you can afford it, check out the best....CT. I gave my Lee away to a friend.

Good luck with your technology upgrade!

bangerjim

62chevy
06-29-2015, 10:50 PM
This is a breath of fresh air as I've seen folks taken to task for suggesting they test hardness on ingots. Holy Smokes we might be making progress.

RegisG
06-30-2015, 08:42 AM
I watched the (slow) video and the Cabine does look very good. If I have difficulty with the Lee (that I ordered) maybe the Cabine will be in stock to order. Right now they are not available.
This was a new tool to me and I appreciate learning about it.
Thanks,
Regis

Technology of measuring hardness of lead alloys - worst to best:

drop on the floor and listen to sound
thumbnail indent
pencil test
Lee tester
Saeco and other brands
Cabine Tree tester

I had a Lee early on but now use only the Cabine Tree tester because it tests any shape anywhere anytime. I even take it to the scrap yards. Try that with the press-dependent Lee.

I only test ingots and never mess with boolits anymore since switching to the Cabine.

You do NOT need to file a flat spot on anything and squint thru a poorly-lit microscope to read a dent with the CT tester.

If you can afford it, check out the best....CT. I gave my Lee away to a friend.

Good luck with your technology upgrade!

bangerjim

bangerjim
06-30-2015, 09:10 AM
The Lee will give you hardness fairly accurately. It is just slow and (for us 4 eyes) hard to use due to the teeny weeny microscope.

Play around with the Lee, it may do all you require! It is definitely better & more accurate than pencils.

banger

RobS
06-30-2015, 10:10 AM
There is also the LBT tester.
http://www.lbtmoulds.com/hardtester.shtml
(http://www.lbtmoulds.com/hardtester.shtml)
I think one important thing to consider is the very first line of what Veral states at the top of the link in reference to a boolit hardness and an ingot.

mold maker
06-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Hardness measured on ingots and boolits will differ, but the relationship is constant. Hard ingots = hard boolits and visa versa.
Trying to deal with exact numbers is a waste of time. Your gun will demand what it requires. If boolit is properly sized and a working lube is used, the results are good. Hardness is more dictated by use.