PDA

View Full Version : Improving the .25 Stevens Rimfrire (Arms & the Man, Jan 1, 1922)

ohland
06-28-2015, 04:51 PM
It almost looks like primed 25 Stevens RF cases were available. Not sure they are today, but I'd wager not.

American Rifleman, vol 69, no. 8, Jan 1, 1922, page 7, 9

https://books.google.com/books?id=gJkwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA115&dq=rifle+accuracy+lead+bullet&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dEOQVebWAdCoogTCl6XoDQ&ved=0CEcQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=rifle%20accuracy%20lead%20bullet&f=false

Improving the .25 Stevens Rimfire
by Dr. Malcom Dean Miller

IN September, 1920, an article entitled “Wanted—An accurate .25 Rim Fire,” appeared in the pages of one of the sporting magazines. Things move slowly in the experimental world, and it was not until last September that I was able, at Camp Perry, to submit my results to Major Whelen, Captain Wotkyns, and the other smallbore fiends who were limbering up at the small-bore range.

Major Whelen has for some years been interested in seeing the .25 Stevens improved in its accuracy to match its almost ideal killing qualities as a smallgame gun. Major John J. Dooley has also put in an immense amount of time and money on experiments; but I am not at liberty to divulge anything about his results, save the vague hint that he will some day bring out a new cartridge which will surprise the rifle-shooting fraternity. My own interest, however, has tended towards a redesigning of the present cartridge so that it could be used in extant rifles of the calibre.

The first step was to secure the arm. I was fortunate enough to pick up, through an ad. in ARMS AND THE MAN, a practically new Winchester Single Shot with a solid frame. It has a bad pull; but the barrel had had only 50 shots fired through it. A test with crimped factory cartridges showed that it would not keep inside the two-inch black at 25 yards shot from a rest.

Having secured Peters and U. S. primed shells and FFFG King's Semi-Smokeless powder, I took the gun to Messrs. Hart-Andrews, in Cleveland, and asked them to make me a suitable mold. Mr. Andrews recut a .22 mold to produce a cannellured bullet weighing 71 grains. This bullet is .256 at the base—this being the groove diameter of my barrel—-and tapers rather sharply towards the front band; but how much I am unable to state for want of a micrometer caliper.

Mr. Andrews fired a number of groups and settled on a load of 6.5 grains, seating the bullet two bands and two grooves out of the shell. Shooting prone, with telescope, he turned out a number of quarter-inch groups; and he found at the same distance, 25 yards, factory ammunition would not group much better than from an inch and a half to two inches.

One pleasant Sunday noon saw the writer, the rifle, and the entire family casting off the moorings in Cleveland and setting forth, under a full head of steam, for Camp Perry. There the Major kindly took a hand in the experiments, shooting a number of groups prone at 50 yards.

The load advised by Mr. Andrews gave us inch-and-three quarter groups. We then tried 9 grains (bulk) and developed so much pressure that the shells swelled and one split. The U. S. shells proved much the better fit for the chamber; but the Peters shells, though powder-stained almost back to the rim, gave almost as uniform elevation.

Major Whelen expressed himself as much pleased with the improvement in priming which has occurred since he made extensive experiments with this cartridge some years ago. At that time he found a great tendency for the shots to string up and down, but now both makes tested have proved excellent.

A few shots were also fired at 100 and showed only a very slight tipping tendency, which is a marked contrast to the keyholing tendency of the old factory black-powder charges. The giving out of my supply of bullets brought our experiments to an abrupt end.

Major Whelen summarized the results somewhat as follows: First, that all ammunition of the old type, in which the bullet has to jump from the case into the throat, even when uncrimped, can not be counted on to give much better than 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 50 yards; secondly, that seating the bullet as far out of the shell as possible improves the accuracy by throating the bullet into the barrel; thirdly, that further improvement could be obtained by some form of heel bullet; fourthly, that the accuracy of my experimental charges was about double that to be expected of factory ammunition, but not great enough to be entirely satisfactory.

Major Whelen suggested a bullet with a middle band made enough larger than the rest to act as a stop to prevent the bullet’s being pushed back into the shell. In mulling over the matter, however, I finally decided to make an uncannellured heel to fit the shell friction tight and have the greater part of the bullet seating directly into the throat. The accompanying diagram, redimensioned at the Major's suggestion, is as far as I have gotten. To be sure, months ago I asked the gunsmiths to undertake the making of a mold; but as the Major has not yet founded his Correspondence School for Gunsmiths (to teach them to answer letters), no action has, so far as I know, yet been taken.

The features of this bullet, from base to point, are noteworthy. It was necessary to make the major portion of the heel full groove diameter in order to insure that the bullet should stick in the shell instead of falling out easily. The extreme rear of the cylindrical portion, however, is made bore diameter so that the lead pressed back by the rifling should not project beyond the base. This idea I cribbed from the Ideal gascheck bullets. The tendency would be to steady the butt of the bullet during its passage through the rifling. The hollow in the base is intended to insure full expansion and at the same time compensate for the undue weight at the base, in as much as all authorities agree that the weight of a bullet should be carried as far forward as possible.‘

The next point is the tapered band for the chamfered muzzle of the shell. This I at first intended to make .261; but Major Whelen thought it altogether too large and ordered a reduction to .259. From this point, I carried a taper to bore diameter through 1 1/2 diameters of the bullet's length. I then laid off this length into six equal parts for grooves and bands—-over dimensioning again, with further orders to reduce, as everybody who saw the blueprints considered that the bullet could not be throated if it remained so far over barrel dimensions. The point was made blunt in order to carry weight forward, for the velocity obtainable with about 7 grains of Semi is not great enough to demand a spitzer point. It will be noted that the bullet point, as re-dimensioned, is .248, which allows for a film of grease and yet will cause it to center up pretty accurately in the bore. The first band will act as a dirt-scraper for the bore diameter. Each succeeding band will scrape a little deeper into the rifling, until finally the last band reaches the full groove diameter of .257. I ought to add that the flat tip is the mould cutoff, and would not be needed in a factory-made bullet.

Now, it may be that I shall have to get the barrel throated in order to seat this bullet successfully; but even then it would not be a great handicap, because such a bullet is absolutely sure to show increased accuracy, and I should never wish to use any factory loads, anyhow.

Later in the fall, using the rifle with a Lyman Ivory Hunting front and Marble Flexible rear, I took part in a chicken shoot at 25 yards outdoors. The conditions called for three shots from a rest for the best center. Owing to the coarseness of the rear-sight adjustment, I failed to get into the center for a chicken ;but curiously, every one of my three-shot groups consisted of one hole about a quarter-inch in diameter nicely displayed on the 10-ring at 12 or at 6. I just couldn't get the adjustment on the sight, and I couldn't make the allowance correctly by holding the ivory into the black. Subsequently, Johnson, one of the best shots in our club, put on an aperture front and shot a number of 10-shot groups at 25 yards, rest, all of them being from three-eighths to a half-inch. The best I could do with the ivory sight was a half inch, but that is more than four times as accurate as factory ammunition.

The squirrel season in Ohio comes too early and is too short for the rifleman. They actually murder them here with shotguns! I got out on the opening morning and did not see anything but reds and chipmunks. A bead shot on a red killed instantly without appreciable tearing, using the Andrews bullet with its originally .22 flat point, the body only having been recut. Johnson also shot a woodchuck, killing instantly with a shoulder shot without any tearing at about 65 yards. His 100-yard groups show a marked falling off' in accuracy in proportion to distance. The charge will group in about a four-inch group under the best weather conditions. We hope to get into 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 100 with the new bullet, when the mold finally gets made. Or perhaps during the winter, the only really progressive ammunition company we have—everyone is entitled to one guess! - may make a batch of bullets from my design and if they prove good, let me have some for trial. At any rate, the ball has started to roll, and some day I hope to report that the results are so good that the manufacturers alluded to have decided to bring out what I want to have called the “.25 Squirrel R. F.” to denote that it is really accurate enough for squirrel shooting.

slumlord44
06-29-2015, 12:56 AM
Interesting article. I just wish someone would make any kind of .25 Stevens ammo. The birth of the .22 WMR revived the .22 WRF round because it could be used as a short version in the WRM and made a good mild hunting load. Sure wish someone would come up with a .25 Magnum to help revive the .25 Stevens. We seem to have more .17 rimfires than we need today. Some of the more sturdy .25 Stevens like the Stevens 44 1/2 could be safely re chambered to .25 Magnum. Still on my wish list. My personal experience with the .25 Stevens confirms that it is not nearly as accurate as the .22 Long rifle, at least with the Canuck ammo from the '70's that I am using. I have a Stevens 418 that is mint with a pristine bore and it is not nearly as accurate as the same gun in either .22 Long Rifle or .22 Short. The .25 Stevens was a good small game round from what I have read. Need to try it for that some time. I have a good supply of the Canuck to use but I shoot it sparingly because I cannot really afford to replace it as shooting ammo. I bought a bunch when it was $1 a round, which I thought was a lot at the time.

John Boy
06-29-2015, 09:09 PM
25 Stevens Reloads ...
* 22 Hornet cases
* CH4D 25 Hornet Dies
* Reform 22 Hornets to 25 Hornet, trim to 25 Stevens and make your reloads
* Bush the 25 Stevens rifle block & firing pin
* Load and shoot in your 25 Stevens rifle - my pristine 94 Stevens Favorite doesn't know they are center fires

Chev. William
07-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Another, possibly more time consuming but closer to the original cartridge, is to expand the neck of a .22 Hornet case with a .250" diameter Expander punch, then run the Resulting Case into a 'Lee Carbide .25ACP Sizing Die all the way to the top of the rim. Use a Small Primer pocket Swaging Punch, with a suitable limiting shim, to support the primer pocket while the Base Web is being Swaged down in the Sizing die.

This gives a 'parent case' with a .350" diameter rim and a .276" to .278" Body diameter and about 1.380" long. Once the 'roll of brass' that gets pushed down to the Rim is trimmed off and the rim verified as .050" thick, it can be checked against your chamber rim rebate to see how much the Rim Diameter needs to be trimmed to fit.

Now you have a CF parent case to trim to length for your actual Chamber Depth. I have found that varies from the Published case length of the .25 Stevens cartridge slightly, up to 1.150" instead of the nominal of 1.125".

Two Avenues now exist:
1. Leave case as CF for a Rifle that will fire a CF Cartridge.
2. Drill, ream, and deburr the case to accept a .22 RF Blank Cartridge as a primer/charge for use with a rifle set up to fire .22RF cartridges.

Yes, the powder chamber net Volume is slightly less than a .25 Stevens RF case but these are STRONGER than the typical RF Case rim and are Reusable by pushing the fired blank out and then inserting another and then reloading as normal for CF cartridges.. IF your rifle SLUGS like most of my .25 Stevens marked barrels, a Lead bullet of .251"-.253" will properly fit it.
More Diameter just raises pressure although it may improve accuracy. On the other hand, if your Barrel(s) Slug as .257" or larger Groove diameter I would guess they are oversize for the original .25 Stevens cartridge. Perhaps made for a 25-20 or 25-21 range of cartridges?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

TXGunNut
07-01-2015, 11:28 PM
Cool article, ohland! Seems like Dr. Miller would fit right in around here. Can we make him an honorary deceased member?
Wonder what the feasibility level is for making rimfire brass? I'm sure that has been kicked around here and probably beaten to death but I've fondled a Civil War era rimfire recently and acquiring it would be in violation of my "no safe queens" rule.

Chev. William
07-02-2015, 04:55 AM
Depends on the Cartridge I would think. Dixie Gun Works carries machined Brass Adapter Cases for some old RF Cartridge sizes that take .22 RF Blanks offset so the Edge of the RF case is next to the Edge of the Adapter rim, close enough so the original firing pin will strike and fire the Blank in the Adapters. The Adapters are intended to be charged with Black Powder and round balls but are also usable with Lead bullets.

You might Take a look at what they have to offer.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Ballistics in Scotland
07-02-2015, 08:48 AM
It always struck me as a great pity that they never made the same improvement they did with the .22 rimfires (to .22 WRF) and the .32 Long rimfire (to .22 Long Rifle). The .22 improvement consisted of widening the case to accommodate an inside lubed bullet, and the old and new versions were incompatible in use. In .32 the bore diameter was reduced (to .307 grooves in my Marlin 92), and compatibility in both directions was claimed, although I don't know how well the "other" round worked in either case.

In both cases the original outlived the improvement. But I believe the .22 WRF could have been developed to be a more accurate cartridge than the .22LR, although this never happened.

While an inside lubed .25 to the rimfire dimensions (or a factory centrefire version) could have been extremely useful cartridges, I don't see the same degree of usefulness for a .25 rimfire magnum, or even the .22WRM. There just aren't that many medium-sized animals in the western hemisphere.

Chev. William
07-03-2015, 11:10 PM
Personal Opinions:
1. The .22 LR to .22 Automatic RF to .22WRF to .22WRM or .22WMR is a progression of performance improvements AT THE TIME of Introduction of the 'Improvement'. .22 LR were originally introduced in the 1800's as a Black Powder Round with Improved performance over the .22 LONG. The .22WRF was introduced about 1890 with a Slightly Heavier bullet of slightly larger diameter and Better Performance than the Existing BP loaded .22LR. Both cartridges were "Improved by Evolution" with Smokeless powder loadings. because Rifles were improved, in Steels' and manufacturing, to support the new powders. The .22WMR was a Further later improvement in performance over the .22WRF and NEW Rifles were made to match it needs. As Powder Technology improved bullet Designs were Changed in the .22WRM to allow higher Velocity loadings without fouling the Barrel.
The .22 Auto. was born because the Semi-auto mechanisms of the New designed rifles would not take the BP loadings of the .22LR series.

2. The .25 Stevens did not get the performance improvements as Cartridge manufacturers had to cater to the Large Quantity of existing Rifles in that Caliber. So the transition from BP to Smokeless REDUCED the performance to retain the same Pressure characteristics.
BP rounds were reported as providing a MV of about 1100fps with the 67 grain bullet while Smokeless loadings were reported as providing 959fps with the same weight bullet.

3. Similar Problems with existing firearms that accepted .32 Long caused the .32 Long Rifle Cartridge to be brought out to 'protect' a newer Rifle mechanism. The .32 Long rifle was ONLY loaded with Smokeless Powder Ever. Unfortunately they choose to employ a Reduced diameter Inside Lube Bullet of Lighter weight, which negatively impacted comparative performance and accuracy.
Also, the .32 Long RF and the .32 Long Colt CF share Dimensions and bullet Specifications.
Performance Improvements restricted due to the Older Technology Large Quantity of Firearms still in Existence and use.
As an Aside, the .32 Long labeled Rifle barrels I own all seem to Slug .308 or less Groove Diameter; which seems to make their accuracy with Soft Lead .312 to .315 Diameter Heeled Bullets more understandable. Swaging the Driving bands down from .312 to .308 will raise the chamber pressure and ensure a Tight Fit to the Rifling; which of course enhances accuracy at most useable distances.

Just my Opinions on how Things developed, yours may vary.

Have a Happy and Sane 4th of July Celebration.

Chev. William

Ballistics in Scotland
07-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Also, the .32 Long RF and the .32 Long Colt CF share Dimensions and bullet Specifications.

Chev. William

They started out that way, and the 92 Marlin came with an extra firing-pin in an attached brown paper bag to permit the use of the centrefire. But the interchangeability died when the Colt round was changed from .313 external lube to an inside lubricated bullet of about .299in. diameter, with a hollow base. I don't know if the bore dimensions in new pistols was reduced, but the theory was that a hollow base would permit it to work in the older ones. This probably caused loss of accuracy which wouldn't be noticed by most pocket pistol users, but in a rifle I am fairly sure it would.

Chev. William
07-22-2015, 10:05 PM
Another Route is available to make replacement Cases for .25 Stevens Cartridges IF you are willing to spend some money to acquire the needed tooling. It is possible to resize 5.7x28mm Brass to the diameters of the .25ACP or .25 Stevens Long cartridges by employing a Series of Lee Carbide .25ACP Sizing dies, two of which have been opened out to intermediate Sizing steps. Also, you will need an "RCBS Combo 2 Primer Pocket Swaging Kit", a 3/16 nominal Bore Fender Washer, and a 6" long pin Punch modified to fit into the Top of the Lee Sizing dies.

The Sizing dies should resize to: .300" diameter; .288" diameter; and the final one to Standard .25ACP Diameter (.276").
The reason is the nominal start diameter of .314" Case is too large in Diameter to fully form in one stage due to the radius on the mouth of the dies, it is not large enough to "gather" the .314" base web so a "Hard Knuckle" forms if a case is Single Step Reformed, weakening the Brass case just at the top of the Web.

Do NOT ram the Rim into the Sizing die mouth as it needs to be left at near original diameter, revising the case design from Rimless to Semi-rimmed.

Sizing in three steps also reduces the amount of brass displaced and Sheared off in the forming Process.

The resultant Case Length is about 1.213"-1.252"(found by measuring 375 reformed cases) which allows for trimming if desired to the .25 Stevens Long Case length of 1.125" (nominal) or 1.124" (shortest reported).

These of course are Center Fire cases so will require CF conversion of Rifles chambered originally for the .25 Stevens Long RF Cartridge.

.25 Stevens Long used .250"-.251" Bullet diameter in Barrels that seem to slug .250" Groove Diameter so the Necks will also need expanding to fit the bullets. I have used a piece of .2500" diameter HSS Drill Blank that has a Tapered entry end with a Tip diameter fo .187" nominal.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
07-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Here is a photo of my 5.7x28mmRimmless Reforming to 6.35, or 6.52, x32mmSR basic cases.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/WJS%20Photos/Resized%205.7x28mm%20to%206.35x28mmSR%2001_zps8swo kiol.jpg

Tools used and Stage samples of resizing 5.7x28mm Cartridge cases.
Back Row From Left: 5.7x28mm Shell Holder; .25ACP Shell Holder; Small Primer Pocket Swage Punch; Stripper cup with 3/16" Fender Washer attached; First Stage (.300") Carbide Resizing die; Second Stage (.288") Carbide Resizing die; Third Stage (.276"/.25ACP) Carbide Sizing die. Front Row from Left: 5.7x28mmRimless Case as Received; Neck Expanded using a .2500" diameter punch; First Stage Resize; Second Stage Resize; Third stage resize before removing Displaced/sheared bras ring form extractor groove; Finished Resized 6.35x32mmSR basic case.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
11-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Continued Experimental Work with the 5.7x28mm reforming have resulted Purchase of two Batches of 1000 each 'once fired' Indoor Range Brass and the Reforming of 400 cases of this group with ZERO Forming Losses!
The Final formed cases were then separated into two groups: those that ended up less than 1.220" long; and those that ended up longer than 1.220".
The 'Short' ones were then Trimmed to 1.125"+/-.003" for use as CF Replacements for ".25 Stevens (Long) RF" and ".25-10 Halsted CF" Cased Cartridges.

All the Reformed cases still have the Original FN Applied Polymer Coating on them, except for a Bare Brass "Ring" about .10" wide just above the Extractor Clearance Groove on the base of the Cartridge.
All of the cases are expanded to fit a .250" diameter Bullet.
Test Loads to Date have been using Two Bullets: a 50 grain Magtech FMJ-RN; and a 51 grain Cast Lead "Ranch Dog" RFN sized to .251" diameter.
Dummy Cartridges have been assembled with several weight and style bullets to see what is possible.
A 120 grain Spitzer Polymer tip one loaded to a nominal Seating depth equal to the 50 grain Bullets yields a cartridge over 2" long, which would NOT be suitable for a Stevens Favorite Action rifle (difficult to Chamber and possibly poor External Ballistics from the safe MAP limit of the Action).
The most promising Jacketed Bullet seems to be "Temporarily Unavailable" Hornady #2510 at 65 grains.
A Lyman #257420 Cast Lead 65 grain Bullet sized to .251" is also looking Interesting.

I am "Patiently" awaiting my CF converted Stevens 'Model 44' Action/Rifle with its Tight fitting Breech block and Modern Heat treated Steel Alloy pivot pins to Try these in at somewhat higher MAP loading.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

BAGTIC
11-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Remington designed an 'improvement' for the .25 Stevens Rimfire before WW2. It was put on hold because of the war and afterwards was cancelled. I imagine it was because of perceived lack of demand as post war the economy had improved and the great number of men familiarized with larger military calibers and the ready availability of surplus arms and ammo post war diverted a lot of demand that way.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-260355.html .267 Remington Rimfire

Chev. William
11-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Are the dimensions of the .267 Remington Rim Fire listed somewhere on the Internet? It would be nice if there is enough Data available to get it Listed in "Ammoguide International" 'Cartridge Master Data Base'.
Chev. William