PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Odd drill dimension for scope base

Powersgt
06-28-2015, 12:55 PM
I have a question for some old time (or newer) gun smiths. I have a VZ 24 Mauser action I purchased several years ago that was supposedly worked over by a budding gun company in Oregon. The action is in great shape, is very true to center, has been parkerized and the bolt face was opened up for a belted magnum, bolt handle reworked and nickle coated. I finally got around to barreling it with a 7mm Rem mag barrel that I purchased around the same time. This action still has the stripper clip lug, it is not been machined off.

Now I wanted to mount some optics to see how true it is and found out that the mounts that I thought would work do not fit the rear receiver drilling. The front holes are standard to all the Mauser mount drilling - .856 inch CTC (approx.) but the rear holes are .427 inch CTC (approx.) measured with my digital calipers. The first rear mount hole is 4.85-4.90 inches from the forward front mounting hole CTC. So far I have found mounts with a .535 CTC and a .385 CTC but none that match the rear dimensions even with a different overall spread from front to rear. I have tried one and two piece mounts. I'm am at a loss without some guide of generic mounts with dimensions. I would like to find something without having to mill a new one-of-kind mount.

By chance has anybody ever come across this odd size mounting?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

pietro
06-28-2015, 03:36 PM

If the rear base with the un-aligned screw holes is the correct height, I would redrill one of the holes to match the rifle - even if it took filling one of the old holes, or buying another base of that height, which has holes far enough apart to allow space for a third hole to fit your rifle's D/T'd bridge.

Whatever base of the correct height can be relieved under the leading edge to clear the stripper clip lug.

yovinny
06-29-2015, 10:52 AM
They make undrilled 'gunsmith' bases for just your predicament, check Brownells.

lmcollins
06-29-2015, 02:46 PM
The idea is to "fix" the cheapest part.

This would mean drilling a new hole and countersinking it in a rear base.

Powersgt
06-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys for the response.

I already re-drilled a Leupold Mauser mount to make it fit. Looks a little ghetto but it will get me by. I'll have to fabricate a rail system for it once I get it close to finished. Fixing the cheapest part to get by is okay but it won't do on the final build; I was just hoping that someone would know the dimensions of a mount popular in the 70-80's time frame that may work.

Thanks again,

Jeff

fast ronnie
06-30-2015, 12:56 AM
I have a mauser that someone drilled one of the holes in the wrong place. I used a leupold mount and moved one hole about .050 thou with a carbide end mill and used another end mill to re-cut the counterbore in the correct place. Works great and doesn't move because the leupold screws have a shank under the head that locks them in place. A little epoxy under the mount when assembling, and it will never move. Mine happens to be on a .308 norma mag, and recoil hasn,t bothered it. It also doesn't show as the rings cover the hole. This action originally had a buehler one piece mount, for what it's worth.

Powersgt
06-30-2015, 07:29 AM
This action originally had a buehler one piece mount, for what it's worth.

Thank you fast ronnie, this actually is helping solve a mystery!

V/R

Jeff

LAGS
07-08-2015, 07:57 PM
I have a friend who had me rebarrel a 1909 Argie Receiver to .35 Whelen.
Whoever had it before him drilled the receiver for the Commercial Mauser base hole spacing, instead of the military base for the stripper ears still intact.
The holes on the mounts are not the same.
So I machined a commercial mount to clear the stripper ears.
But under recoil, the rear windage screws on the Leupold mount come loose because the locking grooves are machined down on the bottom half a bit.
I am going to put on a Military mount this time, and weld up and Redrill the rear mounting screws in the Base to fit the Commercial hole spacing.
He wont let me take the ears off the receiver, nor do I want to weld up the holes in the reciver and redrill them.
So making a Custom Mount is the best option.

Pirate69
07-11-2015, 05:11 PM
By any chance was these actions supposedly reworked for Kimber Rifles? If so, a one piece mount for a M-96 is supposed to work. Stripper clip guide has not been altered. May have to grind it down to get it to work with a M-96 one piece mount. I solved the problem with my action by setting the action up for drilling in a scope mount drilling jig. The front two holes align perfect. I simply drilled the last needed hole in the rear. I then bought a one piece mount for an unaltered Mauser and everything worked out. Still have a new set of Warner two piece mounts that were supposed to work. Will get around to selling them one day. I also, early in the project, redrilled a Weaver aluminum rear mount to work. Ugly, ulgy. ugly but it did work as a quick fix until I could figure out what kind of problem I had bought.
If you bought the action from the same guy I bought my action, you found a person that was difficult to talk with and ask questions. Basically, he said I had bought it and it was my problem, he only had the materials he had bought to sell.

edit: I was too excited to find that I was not the only person to end up with one of these actions. Nothing again the action, I recently put a heavy Shilen 308 Win barrel on it. Two weeks ago, it shot a 1.25" group at 200yards. 168 Hornady BTHP and 42 grains IMR 4064. I am happy with the action even if it does have an extra hole. LOL