PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire reloading ?

ascast
06-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Posting here as not sure of better place. About 2 weeks ago I saw on one of the major on-line auctions places a "kit" to re-load rim fire cases. There was a bottle of priming mixture and some assorted tooling. I flagged the auction on my watch list. Now I can't find it. I assume the auction/listing was pulled. Has anyone heard about this ( or similar) product? Have any contact info? thanks in advance

mdi
06-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Yep, I first saw a kit in the late '60s advertised in a gun mag, mebbe American Rifleman. It's pretty labor intensive and since .22 rimfire was so cheap, the kit died rather quickly. I believe someone resurrected the kit/idea in the last few years. Still labor intensive and I'm not sure but I believe you have to buy the primer compound from the kit manufacturer...

ascast
06-28-2015, 12:25 PM
yup that's the idea, but this was within the last 2 weeks, maybe 3. I have a 38 rim fire rifle and can get on of those Weanzels, German or Austrian, 70 rim fires with some once fired brass. Not looking to reload 22's.

mongoose33
06-28-2015, 04:58 PM
Here's at least one site:

http://22lrreloader.com/

Blackwater
06-28-2015, 06:05 PM
It's been done for a long time, mostly by folks reloading for old guns in the old and hard to find RF calibers. It's no fun, and most folks get rid of the guns or get them rechambered for a CF round so they can shoot it MUCH more easily. It's a little on the dangerous side, too, because playing with priming compound CAN produce some rather exciting moments.

seawolf
06-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Way back when my uncle had a kit. It also had a tool to remove the firing pin strike. He worked as a sheep herder in Wyoming and all had to be loaded in a small wagon and hunting was he primary source of meat. No refrigeration meant mostly small game. I went with him a time or two.
Mark

bedbugbilly
06-28-2015, 08:31 PM
I saw the kit on flabby a few weeks ago. If I remember correctly, it had everything in it including a bullet mold for reloading 22 rimfire. The kit was very "pricey" . . IMHO. Personally, I can't imagine anyone spending the time on such a labor intensive project unless they REALLY loved to shoot 22 rimfire and had no means of getting any. But, I just don't care for 22s that much anymore . . . especially since the shortage. I'd rather load up 38s - quicker and cheaper for me to do than buy rimfire. I haven't run across the kit on fleabay since I flagged it and the auction ended. Maybe it was "pulled"?

If someone on here is using one of the kits . it would be interesting to hear about it.

bangerjim
06-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Total PITA. VERY time consuming and a waste of your money. The idea and stuff has been around for a long time. Match heads and acetone.....what a joke. Even strike-anywhere matches are about as sparse as 22LR's.

Just lite-load your standard ammo and shoot like 22LR's. Where is it written a kid HAS to learn on a 22!!!!! Get them started with standard rifles and pistols with lite 30/38/45 loads from the start. That way they get the feel of REAL ammo and REAL guns.

Leave the 22LR's for the scalpers and fools out there.

To heck with 22LR's......haven't shot one in over 2 years.

banger

ascast
06-28-2015, 09:28 PM
Total PITA. VERY time consuming and a waste of your money. The idea and stuff has been around for a long time. Match heads and acetone.....what a joke. Even strike-anywhere matches are about as sparse as 22LR's.

bangerjim you have actually tried this? And it used strike anywhere matches as the priming compound? Was it at all effective? I can get strike anywhere matches just about anywhere. Really looking to shoot a Rem Roller in 38 RF; or that 1st on the list.

mongoose33
06-28-2015, 10:18 PM

Just lite-load your standard ammo and shoot like 22LR's. Where is it written a kid HAS to learn on a 22!!!!! Get them started with standard rifles and pistols with lite 30/38/45 loads from the start. That way they get the feel of REAL ammo and REAL guns.

Leave the 22LR's for the scalpers and fools out there.

To heck with 22LR's......haven't shot one in over 2 years.

banger

I think it's more a S hit the fan type of kit than anything we'd normally want to deal with. You put it away in case you can't find .22 LR, then to harvest your squirrels and rabbits you can make new ammo.

62chevy
06-28-2015, 10:24 PM
bangerjim you have actually tried this? And it used strike anywhere matches as the priming compound? Was it at all effective? I can get strike anywhere matches just about anywhere. Really looking to shoot a Rem Roller in 38 RF; or that 1st on the list.

Follow the link above for complete details but you can also use those caps for the old fashioned cap guns for kids.

Mk42gunner
06-28-2015, 10:52 PM
Personally, I want nothing to do with attempting to reprime used rimfire cartridges, for a couple of reasons:
1. Real priming compounds are very dangerous to handle, and
2. Makeshift ones like strike anywhere matches aren't easily available anymore. The "strike anywhere" matches of today are more like "maybe they will light if struck on the box," not like the old ones that you could light on your jeans, a piece of yellow pine or a bit of rusty metal.

If I am in a real survival situation; I am going to set snares and box traps for squirrels and rabbits, and hopefully have a shotgun not a .22 for whatever game comes along.

In reality a flintlock smooth bore like a Northwest trade gun makes a lot of sense for a "Whatever comes along that is edible" gun.

Robert

44man
06-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Priming compound is a major ingredient for accuracy, must be the right amount and even.
Many years ago the machine to spin in compound was $10,000.
To see how bad our gold plated .22's shoot today they still can't get it right.
Might work to get an old caliber working but sounds very hard to me.

mdi
06-29-2015, 12:34 PM
As an aside. I read an article a few years ago about making rimfire brass (larger than .22) from center fire cases. Basically, using centerfire brass of the appropriate size, the primer pocket was filled with solder and a new primer pocket drilled off center (plus a few other machining steps). A standard Boxer primer was inserted in the case, but the cartridge had to be "clocked", or oriented with the new primer situated under the firing pin. It worked for single shot guns...

tmc-okc
06-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Here is a link to the outfit making the 22 RF reloading kit.. http://22lrreloader.com/design-details/

Click on Product Info tab and watch their video on how they do it.. VERY labor intensive.

Ron H

Harter66
06-30-2015, 10:38 AM
The people with 14 ARs that buy ammo by the case lots distributor direct think reloading much less casting is too time consuming too.

Blackwater
06-30-2015, 10:55 AM
When I run out of .22 lr's, it's probably time to resort to the Boar Spear or the Bowie machete they offer at Cold Steel? Got one of the Bowie machetes for my eldest grandson in his river ramblings recently, and I was very impressed with it. Anyone who's EVER seen someone that's truly good with a knife WILL be humbled! Just a thought?

62chevy
06-30-2015, 12:28 PM
The people with 14 ARs that buy ammo by the case lots distributor direct think reloading much less casting is too time consuming too.

Holey Cow that would cost a lot to feed even at discounted rates.

Harter66
06-30-2015, 01:39 PM
I think the take away here is that now that the tools are paid for and 223 costs around $25 / 100 and a couple of otherwise wasted hours why would I spend $50 / 100 and waste 2 hrs I could have been actively involved with family. If someone wants to hammer out the dents, make primer primer slurry and cast or swage heeled boolits lube and load have at it. It's not like I don't know anyone that makes caps and BP to beat the $23/lb $8/100 prices for fake BP and caps .

Of course a flint lock in 32,45 and 69-72 are the ultimate end game tool ya still need a black smith when the spring let's go.