PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 3rd 4th editions which is better casting bullets?

glenr1
06-27-2015, 02:15 PM
Having googled the lymans casting book, I noticed that the 4th edition has gotten not as good reviews as the 3rd version did. Seems they took out or shortened the technical section. I did notice that they have two different editors.
So my question to the members here that have both books or seen both. Which is better?:bigsmyl2:

Blammer
06-27-2015, 02:26 PM
3rd edition.

35remington
06-27-2015, 02:34 PM
In terms of relevant data for cast bullets in the loads section, the 4th by far. The 3rd edition was way, way too focused on shotgun/pistol powders. To the point of redundancy in powder used.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Of all the manufacturer Casting manuals w/reloading data for cast.
My opinion is #4 is the best overal...and #3 comes in a close second place.

My guess is there are others here, that have been casting longer than me, that will think the #3 is better than #4...which is understandable, as it was surely the Best for many many years, and it's what they are use to using...as they are layed out a little bit different.

Bottom line is...if you are gonna cast, be sure to buy either one...or both. You will not be sorry.
Jon

jmort
06-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Like them both, have them both. Get both of them in my opinion.

Duckiller
06-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Also consider a reprint of the 2nd Edition. Each has different info and the more info you have the better off you are.

avogunner
06-30-2015, 06:53 AM
I bought the 4th edition when it came out and I like it, but it won't replace the 3rd (too much good info there that isn't repeated in the following edition). Like jmort, I use both.

bangerjim
06-30-2015, 07:03 AM
Get both. You cannot have enough info.

glenr1
06-30-2015, 07:33 AM
I was interested in which one had the better reference section. AS I ONLY LOAD SLUGS, and have the load data for them That I will be using the load data that makes up the bulk of the books is useless to me. I was interested in only the other information. I have been sent a pdf of the index pages and think that my question has been answered. I have the BPI slug manual along with the load archives listings. Since I only shot at an indoor range (slug only) and no longer hunt buying them just for the load data wouldn't do any good.
Thanks to all that responded.:bigsmyl2:

ohland
06-30-2015, 03:05 PM
The 3rd edition was way, way too focused on shotgun/pistol powders.

Well, let's be careful. For reduced loads, shotgun powders are pretty good. Unique, Red Dot, Steel and others, are nice and chock full o' energy, being double based.

But for getting out and touching something with heavy boolits, rifle powders come into play.

35remington
07-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Ohland, the problem with the 3rd was in far too many rifle calibers shotgun/pistol powders were the only ones listed. In terms of optimum accuracy and utility this was a mistake.

Still is, and the 4th corrected that to a considerable degree. No problem listing pistol/shotgun powders. Big problem listing ONLY pistol/shotgun powders when speaking of cast bullets!!!

Careful has been amply considered on my part. Even Lyman recognized their mistakes from the 3rd judging from the 4th's contents.

Judging from your last paragraph you already concede the point.

sthwestvictoria
07-10-2015, 05:34 AM
Is this just posted in the incorrect section? Neither book has any information on slugs for shotguns.

glenr1
07-10-2015, 07:34 AM
Is this just posted in the incorrect section? Neither book has any information on slugs for shotguns.
See my post #9 I have the load info was curios on which edition was best for tech info.