PDA

View Full Version : Store Front Gun Stores are ripping off the shooting public!!

cajun shooter
06-27-2015, 01:28 PM
I like many of you have never seen in my lifetime when I could not go into my local gas station, grocery store, hardware store and purchase a box of 22 lr ammo on my way to fish for the day. Here in Louisiana, many different types of stores always sold ammo for it's customers as a way of life in what was once known as the Sportsman's Paradise.
For many of my 68 years that title was very truefull, I'm sad to say that those days are gone because of greed by what was once our stores that we spent our money in and felt that they were always trying to help us.
I have seen for quite sometime that these very stores are the ones behind our 22 ammo shortage. How is this so you say. Well my friend, go to Gunbroker and look at the ads for the selling of the 22 LR and 22 Magnum ammo that is priced 2-3 times higher than the suggested retail and you will find the sellers to be those very people that cater to your gun and other sales at retail. They have however found a goldmine in this blackmarket selling of what was produced to be sold at a fair price by a gun store.
They are not stocking the shelves with it but deciding to be deceitful and scalp the American shooting sports and it's members. I was checking out to see who is doing this in some other states and came across a store by the name of Sportsman Supply in Butler, Pa. They have thousands upon thousands of rounds of 22 LR and 22 Magnum ammo listed at the scalping prices of 2-3 times suggested retail. Listing after listing, it's makes a person sick. The NRA or some large group is going to have to step in and stop this or it will continue to be the new way to rob with out the fear of arrest. Later David

JSnover
06-27-2015, 02:00 PM
And they'll keep it up as long as there are enough fools willing to pay for it.

Fishman
06-27-2015, 02:04 PM
None of my local haunts are doing this so it sounds like a problem with a few stores. My simple solution is not to buy from them.

brtelec
06-27-2015, 02:16 PM
It is their property and they can sell it for whatever the market will bear. It is not illegal, and as long as there is enough fools to pay the price they will continue to do as they are doing. Do I consider it wrong? Of course I do. In my opinion it is no different than showing up at a natural disaster site with generators at 2 to 3 times retail. It is the behavior of what I consider to be, a scumbag. That however is life in the free market. Do not do business with these people and make sure to voice your opinion to them. They will not care more than likely but I feel that not saying anything makes it ok to do.

snowwolfe
06-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Ripping people off? I don't view it that way. Most small mom and pop stores made a good living selling ammo at reasonable prices when it was plentiful. Then when the shortages started they lost that source of income and it hurt their bottom dollar.
I can totally understand why they are trying to make enough money to stay afloat by selling it online at a price that some people are happy to pay.

bhn22
06-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Close them all, then!

BTW, I have friends who run gun stores, and many of them paid scalper prices to their Distributors just to get 22 ammo at all. Wholesale prices are not guaranteed to remain consistent at all either. These excess prices were passed on to the consumers with normal markups, rather than being sold at a loss because of the principle of the thing. I would have probably kept it for myself.

Petrol & Powder
06-27-2015, 02:41 PM
Just part of the free market. The market will always adjust itself if it is left alone.

I know a guy that owned a small convenience store that also sold gasoline. He priced his gasoline $0.29/gallon more than what he paid for it which is a huge mark up. Despite being in close proximity to several other gas stations that always undercut his fuel prices, often by more than $0.25/gallon; he never had one moment of trouble selling gasoline. People paid it without blinking an eye even though they could drive less than a mile and find cheaper fuel in at least three different stations. I don't think he was gouging at all. If enough people are lazy and willing to pay the higher price, even in the face of lower costs options - that's their loss.

dragon813gt
06-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Is it bad that I'm really tired of wild conspiracy theories? They used to entertaining. Now they're just boring. People can't seem to understand the simple facts so they come up w/ wild theories.

dilly
06-27-2015, 02:52 PM
When two competent adult parties consent to a sale without deceit, the sale is by definition fair.

Handloader109
06-27-2015, 02:55 PM
A couple of comments, first, I won't pay more than I think anything is worth if I can avoid doing it. Buying 22 ammo is one thing that I can avoid being taken advantage of. Haven't shot my one 22 in years. I'd Love to get a couple of new guns chambered in 22, but I won't if I cannot get ammo at decent price. And gouging is illegal in most cases when the items are considered necessity. Ammo isn't at this time a necessity and I don't really want the guvment getting in our business any more than they are now.

Murphy
06-27-2015, 03:08 PM
My own thoughts are pretty simple (they usually are).

It's a repeat of what we've all read many times during this .22LR drought.

Once the market is saturated again, prices will fall. How long will it take before that happens? Who knows? No one actually. I do feel those of us who had plenty with some to spare in the beginning of all this, have regulated our beloved .22's to being a necessary item rather than a 'fun' gun. And we shoot them accordingly. I now view mine as strictly for small game hunting (which, I don't do enough of anymore it seems).

I do take one out now and again with no more than a 100 rounds just for a little trigger time/aroma therapy. Cast .38's pretty much fill the old bill my .22's once did.

While on the topic, one of my thoughts has been this. If and when .22LR ammunition prices fall to within reason again, will there be yet another sudden drought created by none other than ourselves? For all intent and purposes, I have enough to probably last me the rest of my life for what I now use them for. My going out and buying 10K would be sensless when I truly think about it. Would I buy another 5K if plenty were available beginning next week? You bet! Why? I love those things!

Murphy

Smoke4320
06-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Close them all, then!

BTW, I have friends who run gun stores, and many of them paid scalper prices to their Distributors just to get 22 ammo at all. Wholesale prices are not guaranteed to remain consistent at all either. These excess prices were passed on to the consumers with normal markups, rather than being sold at a loss because of the principle of the thing. I would have probably kept it for myself.

I have several distributors who offer me 22 LR at $45 to $55.00 a brick about once a month... Now we are talking CCI std , aguila or federal American ect....NOT hi dollar target/match ammo .. I just refuse and will not have stock till prices come down..

marlin39a
06-27-2015, 03:24 PM
The days of walking into the local hardware store for a 50 rd box of Peters at .69 cents are long gone! People buy it up because they're afraid the Obama Regime will ban it. I've got a good supply. I saw this coming before Obama, and bought my supply. Yes, I'm a 22 hoarder. Just bought 3 more bricks at Walmart last week.

sparky45
06-27-2015, 03:32 PM
When two competent adult parties consent to a sale without deceit, the sale is by definition fair.

Who determines if either of the two are competent?:kidding:

Jonesy
06-27-2015, 03:33 PM
My local hardware shop sells a limited selection of ammo. 45 acp, 30 bucks for 50 rounds, not totally gouging there, but still pretty high. Winchester Super X 22LR, 28 bucks for 50 rounds. Needless to say, they aren't selling them very quickly. 56 cents per shot of 22 is ridiculous, makes me glad I can cast and reload my 45's for a fraction of those prices. I catch all my lead and recast it which can take me down to about 6-7 cents per round, sure I can't shoot willy nilly at anything I want like my buddies do that don't reload and worry about the cost, but I can go shooting 10x more than them and hit that 100 yard target more with my 1911 then they can with their .223.

The clerk thought I was a liar when I told her that I cast and reload ammo period, and when I told her the price I pay in the long run, she thought I was the biggest nut in town. My 22 will be shelved for a bit, less for me to clean, and more practice on hitting long range targets with the 1911 to piss off my buddies. People hate when they try to trap shoot with a 12 guage, miss 9 out of 10, and you blow them out of the sky with a single chunk of well placed lead.

bangerjim
06-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Just got back from a big gun show locally. LOTS and LOTS of 22LR bricks...........$60-75/555! They are still laying on the tables!

I did not see many guns changing hands. Lots of guns!!!!!!!! Lots of high prices!!!!!!! The usual mix of guys looking with their girlfriend/wife at "light-weight-wrist-breaking" 380 or 9mm pocket guns for self-defense......(?)

A lot of ammo cans full of that standard re-man FMJ stuff people buy up like crazy were going out the doors. They can keep that also! I love casting and loading my own to the loads I like, not what some "spec" says it should be.

All my 22LR-ish shooting is now 223, 9mm (M1 carbine), 38SPL, 45LC.......all lite loaded.

sparky45
06-27-2015, 03:46 PM
What bangerjim just said.

mold maker
06-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Wasn't it W C Fields that said "A fool and his money are soon parted?"
If they don't NEED 22 ammo, why do they pay the scalper prices?
I know it's all in how you define NEED, but really are we killing paper, rocks, and bottles to feed our families?

762 shooter
06-27-2015, 04:06 PM
I just bought a brick of CCI Standard Velocity for $45.00. (PSA)

It's more expensive than it used to be, but I have 500 rounds of CCI standard velocity 22LR.

I can cast and reload any round for that or less, except 22LR.

It sounds expensive until you can't find a brick for less than $100, then it's a deal.

Blacksmith
06-27-2015, 04:07 PM
I like many of you have never seen in my lifetime when I could not go into my local gas station, grocery store, hardware store and purchase a box of 22 lr ammo on my way to fish for the day. Here in Louisiana, many different types of stores always sold ammo for it's customers as a way of life in what was once known as the Sportsman's Paradise.
For many of my 68 years that title was very truefull, I'm sad to say that those days are gone because of greed by what was once our stores that we spent our money in and felt that they were always trying to help us.
I have seen for quite sometime that these very stores are the ones behind our 22 ammo shortage. How is this so you say. Well my friend, go to Gunbroker and look at the ads for the selling of the 22 LR and 22 Magnum ammo that is priced 2-3 times higher than the suggested retail and you will find the sellers to be those very people that cater to your gun and other sales at retail. They have however found a goldmine in this blackmarket selling of what was produced to be sold at a fair price by a gun store.
They are not stocking the shelves with it but deciding to be deceitful and scalp the American shooting sports and it's members. I was checking out to see who is doing this in some other states and came across a store by the name of Sportsman Supply in Butler, Pa. They have thousands upon thousands of rounds of 22 LR and 22 Magnum ammo listed at the scalping prices of 2-3 times suggested retail. Listing after listing, it's makes a person sick. The NRA or some large group is going to have to step in and stop this or it will continue to be the new way to rob with out the fear of arrest. Later David

Here is a link to Sportsman Supply in Butler, Pa. why don't you contact them and tell them what you think?
http://www.sportsmanssupplyco.com/

jaysouth
06-27-2015, 04:15 PM
I have a friend who is a dealer. He refuses to stock .22rf. He reasons, that if he put it out at HIS cost, he would be accused of gouging and profiteering.

buckwheatpaul
06-27-2015, 04:28 PM
cajun shooter, You might have come to the same conclusion I have, the values we were raised with are gone....your hand shake is your bond, your word is your bond, etc.....there was a study at Harvard last year if I remember right....60% of the students said it is ok to cheat if you dont get caught....carry that forward to today and each day is filled with what I was taught do not apply any more....Im not surprised....just disappointed in the direction this once great nation is going......

altheating
06-27-2015, 04:32 PM
That is why my buddies and I cast for the 22 hornets, 218 bee, 223's and the fireball. It's much cheaper! We have shot more in the last three years than ever before, mostly 22 cal stuff and not any 22 LR. I say plan accordingly, prices and availability are not going to change anytime soon. Stock up on powder, primers and lead and get reloading. I don't think the NRA should get involved in the pricing of ammo.

MBTcustom
06-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Not that I'm advocating or endorsing the scampers in any way, but I am worried what's going to happen in the very near future. In one week, the Stars and Bars have been struck from Americas memory (ironic being that it was actually a symbol for states rights), legislation was passed that made Clinton's international trade agreements look like a warm summer breeze, Obamacare has been nailed to the floor permanently, and the White House has been lit up like a rainbow with the LGBT colors in the wake of the supreme court's decision to impose marriage laws over the states. I fear Obama is going to be fullfling every prediction made about his agenda, and the hits are coming hard and fast, and I'm getting real nervous to see what he does about gun control.
This might be the last chance you have to buy ammo the old fashion way, even from a scalper.
I sure hope not though.

RogerDat
06-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Even the rare box of 22LR found at Walmart is not cheap at 7 cents a round. I'm not going to pay 2x that price or more to someone at a gun show. Anymore than I would pay a buck a round for green tip at a gun show during the most recent ID 10 T event. Can't price gouge me if I don't go along with making a purchase.

The people I feel bad for are kids getting passed down a 22 from a family member only to find out it is mostly a handy club rather than a firearm since ammo is not available. Younger family members often receive a 22 as a first firearm. These days a 7mm or 38 lever gun might be the better choice.

Tackleberry41
06-27-2015, 05:33 PM
They can price 22 at whatever level they want, question is. Is anybody actually buying it? Last gunshow I saw plenty of 22 on tables, often they didn't even price it, your supposed to ask. Which probably means you don't want to ask. I saw people pricing a 333 pack of bulk for $45, but didn't actually see anybody buying it.

Not sure about distributors jacking the price up. LGS near me has been keeping a decent selection of 22 on the shelf, yea they break up the bulk packs into 100rd bags, but its not like their charging 2x the price. $6/100 isn't really that bad. They have 50rd boxes and their still only $4 or $5, yea the match stuff is $10, but always was. Even during the height of the panic, when they did get 22 in there was no gouging. I was picking up a couple boxes of subsonic at a time when I had the cash. Now if I wander into Nashville, anybody who has 22 is gouging. So guess just depends on your market.

FISH4BUGS
06-27-2015, 06:18 PM
The single best thing you can do is just don't buy it. The .22 ammo of today is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Keep looking.....you will find some at a "better" price.
But the days of the 12.99 brick of 500 is long gone, and will never return.

andre3k
06-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Ive had my ffl since 2007 and havent seen the price of 22lr increase much from distributors other than the yearly increases you would normally see. The markup that people are seeing is coming from the retailer not the distributor.

If a gun store wants to mark up the price of ammo that he purchased then so be it. He surely isnt keeping the lights on based on the meager margins from gun sales. My personal stash of 22lr over the past few years has come from hitting the stores and a few online purchases. I havent been raped yet on pricing vs pre panic prices.

bangerjim
06-27-2015, 07:53 PM

Soooooo right. Just look at what raw brass sells for a pound these days. Back when we were getting a brick of 555 for $15 at WM, raw brass (the stuff they make cases out of) was a buck a pound or less. Now it is $3.50. I used to by brass bar stock for a buck a pound...1/8 thru 6" diameter. Now I live off my huge inventory from back then. I refuse to pay $3.50/#.

cajun shooter
06-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Here is a link to Sportsman Supply in Butler, Pa. why don't you contact them and tell them what you think?
http://www.sportsmanssupplyco.com/

Blacksmith, you and many others missed the core of what I was trying to make a point of. First thing is, with a handle like Cajun Shooter and a listed address of South Louisiana I don't think that I would be doing business with the business to start with. I was able to find his site without any assistance and if I felt the need to contact them, I would. The problem is that I was taught to never argue with a fool as they will just bring you down to their level. I was using this business as an example because I happen to be reading their postings.
The message in my posting was that these people are located in an area with a storefront gun business and want their local sportsmen's business when it comes to all other of the stocking items they sell, like guns, reloading supplies and so on. But instead of selling those same customers the thousands of rounds of 22 LR and 22 magnum ammo they have stocked, they chose to put it on line for 35 cents and up per round. That was my message and sadly, many failed to see it and made it into something it was not meant to be.
Buckwheatpaul hit the nail on the head with his response as his posting is the meaning of the posting.

jcwit
06-27-2015, 08:02 PM

Blanket statements seldom ever prove true, and remember the "will never return" is an awful long time.

Garyshome
06-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Hey look 9mm the new 22Lr! Hi point carbines are pretty cheap right about now.
Cheaper to cast & re load 9 any more.

butch2570
06-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Blacksmith, you and many others missed the core of what I was trying to make a point of. First thing is, with a handle like Cajun Shooter and a listed address of South Louisiana I don't think that I would be doing business with the business to start with. I was able to find his site without any assistance and if I felt the need to contact them, I would. The problem is that I was taught to never argue with a fool as they will just bring you down to their level. I was using this business as an example because I happen to be reading their postings.
The message in my posting was that these people are located in an area with a storefront gun business and want their local sportsmen's business when it comes to all other of the stocking items they sell, like guns, reloading supplies and so on. But instead of selling those same customers the thousands of rounds of 22 LR and 22 magnum ammo they have stocked, they chose to put it on line for 35 cents and up per round. That was my message and sadly, many failed to see it and made it into something it was not meant to be.
Buckwheatpaul hit the nail on the head with his response as his posting is the meaning of the posting. Your assessment is correct, but you will not get many here to agree. I spoke to Remington and Atk ( Federal) last summer about this, and both said their yearly increase was the only increase they have charged to their distributors. So I spoke to Ellet Brothers a large distributor that's used here in my area alot and Accu -Sport and both said they only charged for the yearly rate increase of the manufactures, and that if any unnecessary charges were coming down the line, it was coming from the retailers. It's not hard to see if there is a store front , that has no product on the shelf, and the same is advertising products on line at inflated prices, what they are doing. Same as with the powder supplies. I personally could care less if all these businesses that have these practices, go belly up, Who cares ,they aren't providing me any products at reasonable prices any way, let them sit on it.

quack1
06-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Cajun shooter- I live a couple miles from that store. I agree, the prices are high, but somebody is buying the ammunition they sell online. They are adding on to the building and most of the addition will be shipping and storage area for internet sales. Every time I go in the store there is a mountain of ammunition boxed up waiting to be shipped out by the front door. And there is usually at least one person filling out the paperwork for a gun purchase.

MaryB
06-27-2015, 10:38 PM
If you are regular customer of my LGS he is passing on 22lr at cost, if not a regular he is bumping it 30%. People have complained and he pointed at me the last time when a guy mentioned it and he said "spend $2k a year here like she does then you get a discount. Come in here only looking for 22lr and never buy anything else? You get a markup!" I drop $200 a month most months buying reloading supplied, maybe a new gun here and there is he has one I really want, parts for my 6.5 Grendel AR build...

fatelk
06-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Soooooo right. Just look at what raw brass sells for a pound these days. Back when we were getting a brick of 555 for $15 at WM, raw brass (the stuff they make cases out of) was a buck a pound or less. Now it is $3.50. I used to by brass bar stock for a buck a pound...1/8 thru 6" diameter. Now I live off my huge inventory from back then. I refuse to pay $3.50/#.

I have a thought. How many pounds (ounces) of raw brass and lead are used in a brick of 22's? The increase in cost of raw materials is a pretty small part of the increase in cost in recent years.

Ford SD
06-28-2015, 12:26 AM
If you are wondering how it is across the border in Canada

I have gone to my local Gun Store and they have Some --- Some 22 rim one week they have some and the next they don't

I work for a smaller retail chain and because I know a bit about guns I get to put the ammo out on the shelves

We ammo we carry cater to the locals the most excotic could be 7mm wsm $49 a box for premium stuff

never more than 7-8 boxes of one type of ammo --ie 12g 2-3/4 1oz slugs or 7-8 boxes of 30-30 150 or 170g ammo

In the last 2 years the store i work for has had 1 brick of win wildcat ammo that was sold by the 50r pack App $6-7 each

This week I put on the shelves 7 boxes of the rem golden bullet 100 pack price $10.99/100

the most ammo I put out in one shipment was 2 plastic bins all most full ( after seeing zero for a long time)
the least is when i open a bin and find 3 or 4 boxes of ammo rifle & shotgun and carry it in 2 hands to put it away

Good thing I reload and don't have to buy Ammo at the store I work for

22 rim was tempting but I dont shoot it alot

But I Stocked up about 12 years ago and picked up 5-6 bricks at less tha $20 a brick and have about 3 left

so $11/100 i find very expensive

I hope the ammo situation is looking up

oldred
06-28-2015, 09:34 AM
This has been rehashed and rehashed and rehashed and,,,,,,,,,,well I suppose it will continue to be out of frustration but the fact remains the shortage and high prices are because of one reason PEOPLE PAY THE PRICE! As long as people are willing to pay these prices it is going to continue, it's like any other valuable commodity it's a vicious circle -the value is high because of the shortage but the shortage is due to the perceived high value!

To those who complain about the stores selling for these obscene prices, I'm not saying it's right BUT ask yourself this question, "Why would I offer something for sale at $5 when there is a line of willing customers and other retailers getting $50 for the same item"? Be realistic! If a store gets a huge shipment of 22 LR in and decides to sell for pre-panic prices people will stampede them and hoarders/scalpers will scarf it it up and never look back, the next day this same ammo will be offered for sale (and selling) for 3-4 times what they just sold it for!

How many of us would be willing to sell something, anything, for a low price while knowing full well that most of the customers would be re-selling at ten times the price to willing customers before the day was out -think about it!

The bottom line is that the prices and shortages are not the dealers' fault or the manufacturers' but rather it is simply the buying public, people (a great many are not even shooters!) hording because of the perceived value and those desperate just to find some shooting ammo at any price! The worst of the lot are those who just shrug it off and buy it anyway while saying things like "well $23 is better than $100", as the old saying goes WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY!

jcren
06-28-2015, 10:16 AM
My lgs finally got in a shipment of 22lr but it was priced quite high. Since I know them, I asked what was up. He told me that the only supplier that would sell any at a reasonable price said they had to buy 4 cases and 6 glock pistols to get that price! He doesn't like glocks so he paid scalpers prices.

butch2570
06-28-2015, 10:16 AM
This has been rehashed and rehashed and rehashed and,,,,,,,,,,well I suppose it will continue to be out of frustration but the fact remains the shortage and high prices are because of one reason PEOPLE PAY THE PRICE! As long as people are willing to pay these prices it is going to continue, it's like any other valuable commodity it's a vicious circle -the value is high because of the shortage but the shortage is due to the perceived high value!

To those who complain about the stores selling for these obscene prices, I'm not saying it's right BUT ask yourself this question, "Why would I offer something for sale at $5 when there is a line of willing customers and other retailers getting $50 for the same item"? Be realistic! If a store gets a huge shipment of 22 LR in and decides to sell for pre-panic prices people will stampede them and hoarders/scalpers will scarf it it up and never look back, the next day this same ammo will be offered for sale (and selling) for 3-4 times what they just sold it for!

How many of us would be willing to sell something, anything, for a low price while knowing full well that most of the customers would be re-selling at ten times the price to willing customers before the day was out -think about it!

The bottom line is that the prices and shortages are not the dealers' fault or the manufacturers' but rather it is simply the buying public, people (a great many are not even shooters!) hording because of the perceived value and those desperate just to find some shooting ammo at any price! The worst of the lot are those who just shrug it off and buy it anyway while saying things like "well $23 is better than $100", as the old saying goes WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY! This computer and the ability to buy online is one of the biggest contributors to this problem we are in now, 20 years ago, we could buy some things mail order , true enough, but this new age of buying in a instant, from anywhere across the land , has changed the supply and demand chain forever. Also with more and more millionaires and wealthier upper class now prevalent in society, some can afford to drop large sums of funds for these commodities and again this helps dry up the supply , no doubt. The best scenario is for the manufactures just to takes bids on "who will pay the most for this lot" ( Just sell dealer direct ). Cut out the middle man and take all the profits for their selves.( Isn't this what capitalism is supposed to be ?)sarcasm. Why bother passing money to the middleman when the manufacturer can have it all. There was a time here when serving your customers was important in running a respectable business, that along with the rest of the morals in this country, have siphoned down the toilet.

cajun shooter
06-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Old Red, You are saying that because it can be done, it should be done, is that correct? That is the exact problem I'm talking about. No more morals or what is correct, just see how many dollars we can take from our fellow man.
I'm sorry that my grandchildren are having to grow up in that type of world instead of the one I saw. I finished school and signed up for the military service that I felt every man should do to repay those who went before me. They served so that I would have a free world to live and choose in.
I then signed up and became a Police Officer to help those who could not help themselves and I'm proud of both of those choices.
I'm sorry to see that this world has evolved into a place of greed.
When we have hurricanes here in Louisiana, we have people selling food and fuel for double the price, and then we have those who are giving food away so that no one goes hungry. I'm glad that I fit in that second group.
I'm not a real hard bible carrying person but I believe in God and I don't want to turn this into a religious type of argument. But to say that it's ok to steal from others does not speak well of one's overall character. Sad very Sad

butch2570
06-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Sad very Sad And getting worse every day.....

oldred
06-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Old Red, You are saying that because it can be done, it should be done, is that correct? That is the exact problem I'm talking about. No more morals or what is correct, just see how many dollars we can take from our fellow man.
I'm sorry that my grandchildren are having to grow up in that type of world instead of the one I saw. I finished school and signed up for the military service that I felt every man should do to repay those who went before me. They served so that I would have a free world to live and choose in.
I then signed up and became a Police Officer to help those who could not help themselves and I'm proud of both of those choices.
I'm sorry to see that this world has evolved into a place of greed.
When we have hurricanes here in Louisiana, we have people selling food and fuel for double the price, and then we have those who are giving food away so that no one goes hungry. I'm glad that I fit in that second group.
I'm not a real hard bible carrying person but I believe in God and I don't want to turn this into a religious type of argument. But to say that it's ok to steal from others does not speak well of one's overall character. Sad very Sad

No that is not correct, I clearly said that I'm not saying it's right, but it is what's happening and like it or not it is the reason. Sure IF the stores would all just refuse to ask these high prices it would solve the problem right? Well not quite, at least not at first, because they would have to get the supply and as long as people are scarfing it up at the rate they do now that just ain't gonna happen! On the flip side IF the customer would just stop buying more than they need and/or refuse to pay inflated prices that would solve the problem too!

Seriously, if you were selling apples (I do so I use that as an example) and people were willing to pay 3-4 four times your asking price and due to a shortage there were far more customers willing to pay than there were apples to sell would you continue to sell at your low price while knowing full well that most of your customers were buying far more than they wanted and just reselling them down the road at four times your price? You can't just say "yes I would take care of my customers and keep prices low for them" because if you did you would have to sell to the resellers for the same price (if you even knew who the resellers were) and realistically how many stores can offer preferred pricing to special customers?

The bottom line is that's just not being realistic at all for a retail business to attempt to suppress prices in a hot market especially when they know full well that a great percentage of their customers would be taking advantage of their good will gesture to profit for themselves! We can point fingers all day and blame this seller or that but in the end the problem is, always has been and will continue to be the CUSTOMER buying up more than the production can supply and willing to do so at inflated prices, for the REAL culprit here we need only to look in the mirror (collectively speaking).

snuffy
06-28-2015, 01:15 PM
I've been finding all the .22 ammo I can use at Cabellas over the last 3 months. I drive right by the North Milwaukee store every time I go the the Mil. VA for catheter changes at 6 week intervals. A good selection at what I consider just plain old retail prices. I think you're restricted to one "box" per visit. Even if that one box is 500 rounds. My last buy was some CCI that has Troy Landry on the outside of the box with his iconic phrase "CHOOT IM" referring to the swamp people series. It is a 300 round box, the shells are in 100 round trays. HV copper plated HP's.

I took my 572 Rem with me last range trip to verify the scope was on. The ammo fired fine but the rifle needs a cleaning badly. It was on loan to my nephew, he's all thumbs, don't clean guns.

snowwolfe
06-28-2015, 04:20 PM
You think store front people are ripping off people??? Try the real estate market. I cant believe the price they want for a new home compared to what they were selling for 20 years ago. The nerve of people, trying to sell something for what the market has determined is the current value.

Hometek
06-29-2015, 01:04 AM
I personally find it ridiculous that people expect LGS's to sell an item that is in great demand and hard to stock at prices that was set when there wasn't the demand. I can't find it to buy it and wouldn't care the least if the gun stores would mark it up to 100$ a brick. It would cut out the scalpers and very few if any would buy. It wouldn't take long for the price to drop as inventory rose. At the moment the gun stores are losing money because they can't move volume. They simply have to raise prices if they want to keep the lights on. Full disclaimer. I don't sell guns or ammo. I've simmered for years over the lack of 22 lr for my kids at any cost in our area. I finally found some on the shelf and managed to pick up 2000 rds for a decent price. With 4 children all shooting 22lr that wont last a month at normal prices.

Hometek
06-29-2015, 01:05 AM
Wonder what the economist Milton Friedman would say about people saying it is morally wrong to price things according to supply and demand.

captaint
06-29-2015, 08:28 AM
I can't understand folks complaining about prices of things. I haven't bought 22 RF ammo in 2.5 years. Oops, I did buy one box of 333, I think, because the price was CLOSE to the real thing. As is always said - just leave it in the store. The owner will get tired of looking at it and sell it for the correct price, IF he still has some customers left. I don't know how mom & pop gun stores stay in business to begin with. I like to give the little guys my business whenever I can, but I won't pay stupid prices.

garym1a2
06-29-2015, 08:49 AM
Whats worse, price the product low and never have any in stock or price it high an have a decent inventory. When it is priced low the hoarders will get it. When price high those that plan to shoot it get some plus you make a decent profit.

dakotashooter2
06-29-2015, 01:04 PM
The thing about 22 cartridges is that because of their small size any single component used in them would have to increase in cost by at least 10-50 times to see even a penny increase at the manufacturing level. So it's pretty much the distribution end that is pushing up the prices. I simply won't buy it at current prices but then again I don't shoot much 22 and don't have one in semi auto. I do find it somewhat alarming that it is taking as long as it is for the supply to catch up.. even with the hoarders and scalpers.............

jcwit
06-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Whats worse, price the product low and never have any in stock or price it high an have a decent inventory.

YUP! Nothing like having "inventory" that has yet to make you any money.

The logic is there somewhere, mmmmmmmmmmmm I guess.

butch2570
06-29-2015, 05:43 PM
I personally find it ridiculous that people expect LGS's to sell an item that is in great demand and hard to stock at prices that was set when there wasn't the demand. I can't find it to buy it and wouldn't care the least if the gun stores would mark it up to 100$ a brick. It would cut out the scalpers and very few if any would buy. It wouldn't take long for the price to drop as inventory rose. At the moment the gun stores are losing money because they can't move volume. They simply have to raise prices if they want to keep the lights on. Full disclaimer. I don't sell guns or ammo. I've simmered for years over the lack of 22 lr for my kids at any cost in our area. I finally found some on the shelf and managed to pick up 2000 rds for a decent price. With 4 children all shooting 22lr that wont last a month at normal prices. So its' hunky dory to you, that the retailers costs are only increasing by the typical yearly percentage (3-5 % I was told) from the manufacturer to the distributor to the retailer. But all of a sudden when it makes it to retail level it automatically has to have a 400 % mark up , for the retailer to keep their head above the water?... You guys are gullible. Haven't you seen that the Bricks have run as high as $100 for nearly 2 years now , in some areas and online , and it didn't stop many people from buying it , it's still in shortage... These retailers don't have to move much of it when they have that kind of markup on it, and people still continue to buy from them. These same retailers had pre panic prices here at 19.99 a 550 rd brick of Rem golden bullets, what would you suspect their cost to be for that buying Factory Direct , or through their distributor, if their sell price is 19.99? And after Sandy Hook the price jumps to 89.00 a brick, huh, go figure who's raken it in. Call REM, and Federal ammo and ask their reps if their cost has increased and they'll tell you , only their yearly % rate .

Harter66
06-29-2015, 07:39 PM
I paid less than $20/1000 when I bought the last 22 LR I haven't fired 1 round in the best part of 10 yr. I have some on hand . But until it costs less than it costs to load 222 or 38 or 9 I can't see me buying any more .

Let it pool up on the shelves .
Of course I drive 150 miles for $ .40 a gallon of my gasoline too.

oldred
06-29-2015, 09:12 PM
So its' hunky dory to you, that the retailers costs are only increasing by the typical yearly percentage (3-5 % I was told) from the manufacturer to the distributor to the retailer. But all of a sudden when it makes it to retail level it automatically has to have a 400 % mark up , for the retailer to keep their head above the water?... You guys are gullible. Haven't you seen that the Bricks have run as high as $100 for nearly 2 years now , in some areas and online , and it didn't stop many people from buying it , it's still in shortage... These retailers don't have to move much of it when they have that kind of markup on it, and people still continue to buy from them. These same retailers had pre panic prices here at 19.99 a 550 rd brick of Rem golden bullets, what would you suspect their cost to be for that buying Factory Direct , or through their distributor, if their sell price is 19.99? And after Sandy Hook the price jumps to 89.00 a brick, huh, go figure who's raken it in. Call REM, and Federal ammo and ask their reps if their cost has increased and they'll tell you , only their yearly % rate .

So if you were running the store you would just keep prices where they were, plus any increase in wholesale costs, and let the 22 go out the door only to be sold down the street at ten times what you just sold it for? Don't blame the retailer! They would be just plain stupid to sell for ten times less than the going rate, that rate is determined by the buyer NOT the seller. Honestly if it were you would you just say "well I'm going to be a good guy and help everyone out until my inventory is gone"? It's simple supply and demand and the prices are high because people are willing to pay that for it, THAT'S why the prices are where they are. There are hundreds of thousands (and that's being conservative, it's probably more like a few million) shooters that would grab up a brick or two at bargain prices even with thousands of rounds stashed away, "better git-it-while-can", and until that attitude subsides nothing is going to change. No retailer can get more than a small supply and if they sell cheap they make nothing since they don't have the volume they did before, selling at the market price is just business whether we like it or not and those high prices is what will eventually bring this nonsense to an end.

joesig
06-29-2015, 10:35 PM
Capitalism. Supply and DEMAND

It's not the supplier that set's the price. The consumer sets the price. Think of every vehicle you purchased. Did you bargain? Weren't you prepared to walk away if the price was unacceptable? Does no one understand the term boycott?

Are you guys stocking up on primers or do we all get to read about you whining about that in 16 months too?

jcwit
06-29-2015, 11:22 PM
Are you guys stocking up on primers or do we all get to read about you whining about that in 16 months too?

No whining from me, got more than I'll ever use up.

oldred
06-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Capitalism. Supply and DEMAND

It's not the supplier that set's the price. The consumer sets the price. Think of every vehicle you purchased. Did you bargain? Weren't you prepared to walk away if the price was unacceptable? Does no one understand the term boycott?

Demand vs supply has always been the price setter in a free market, that's what makes a free market work. I know it's frustrating but it is what it is and I can't understand why someone would think a person, retailer or anyone else, should be obligated sell an item for 4-5 times less than it's value? Is a brick of 22 LR worth $89.95? You bet it is when customers are willing to pay that much for it, why should a store feel obligated to sell all of their stock out at a fraction of what it would sell for only to have bare shelves with nothing to sell?

It's a trade off as to availability also, this is how a free market limits itself, it can be low prices with only a few people buying up more than they need due to a perceived panic or higher prices with some stock available because the hoarders are unwilling to "stock up" at the higher prices. Hopefully these higher prices will bring about sanity in the future as supply starts to catch up but don't look for it soon, this "better-git-it-while-I-can" attitude is not going to go away until hundreds of thousands or possibly a few million more people each get a stock of many thousands of rounds stashed away in closets, under beds, in garages or even as one guy I know personally has the trunk of his car nearly filled! The manufacturers are working 24/7 churning out this stuff but that is a vast hole of consumer demand to be filled before we start to see the supply catch up and it could very well take years to happen!

Again we are our own worst enemy and as long as we keep up being greedy and buying this stuff much faster than it can be made then we are stuck with the current situation!

joesig
06-30-2015, 09:47 AM
That's my kind of Boy Scout!

joesig
06-30-2015, 09:50 AM
You bet it is when customers are willing to pay that much for it, why should a store feel obligated to sell all of their stock out at a fraction of what it would sell for only to have bare shelves with nothing to sell?
I agree with you. The store is obligated to sell at whatever price required to keep the lights on. That's between their supplier and accountant. I respect other stores for not selling at all. They are losing some profits but will never be looked upon as a "gouger."

... as one guy I know personally has the trunk of his car nearly filled!
Has he explained the purpose of so many? Was this an investment or to pass to his great grand kids? No judgement, just curious.

Kent Fowler
06-30-2015, 11:18 AM

Same here. Saw all this coming way before the Clinton primer scare in the mid '90s. Saw this coming after Johnson signed the '68 GCA when I couldn't buy ammo for my revolver because I wasn't 21 and some retailers wouldn't sell you primers or powder without taking your name and address . Saw what was happening in the late '70s to the NRA before Neal Knox took control. Saw this coming when the American public elected that buffoon, Jimmy Carter and later the communists Bill and Hillary Clinton when they proposed that primers would only have a service life of about 5 years and then would become inert. Primer prices doubled and tripled for close to a year, if you were lucky enough to find some. And in 2008, when this absolute traitor to the United States gets elected president, it should have told you to start stocking up and not wait until the liberals put him back in office for a second term. I can understand our younger members being affected as they weren't around to see what has happened in the past, but if you are 50+ and got caught with your pants down on this shortage, shame on you as you had years to prepare for this.

blackthorn
06-30-2015, 11:26 AM
I think oldred has it right! Personally, I would rather pay the high price to my LGS than to see some slimy opportunist buy cheap and then x-10 the price. If there is profit to be made, let the LGS get it! I do not consider a legitimate business (LGS) as a "gouger" at all. That said, several years ago when the idiot Liberals were making noises about legislation to make me sign for every box of ammo I bought, I stocked up, so I do not have to decide if I want to pay inflated prices.

mold maker
06-30-2015, 11:48 AM
I guess it's a shame, that experience is the privilege, of only us older guys.
I still have primers in wooden trays with paper board sieves.
I have powder in metal cans that are square with pop top lids.
There are ammo cans of loaded rounds from the "80s.
When things get tight, you learn to conserve and replenish.
When things are normal you put aside for short times.
I really feel sorry for those starting out now, without the experience that we use to weather hard times.

dakotashooter2
06-30-2015, 11:50 AM
It's easy for you guys that live in towns big enough to have 2 or 3 decent size sporting goods stores to say supplies are decent but I live 45 miles from a town big enough to be getting any .22 cartridges at all. Every small town in my area had at least a gas station that carried ammo. None, including my own have seen a box of .22 in at least 5 years. If I went to the larger community every day I could probably get a box here and there but on the few occasions I do go I have usually missed it by a day or 2 and my fuel cost can be added to the scalper price asked by the store.

snowwolfe
06-30-2015, 11:57 AM
That's why mail ordering ammo is so convenient. Just buy a couple of bricks (or cases) and be done with it. Even though I live in a fair sized city all my rimfire ammo was ordered. I find this to be less stressful and more time productive than to visit all the stores.
I do believe the last time I ordered 2 bricks of CCI SV from PSA the shipping charge was only about $11, plus no sales tax.

Harter66
06-30-2015, 02:00 PM
DAKOTA
you got it easy . I have a local guy he has some of this and that but there are a lot of folks that are scared to leave town . I get out twice a month whether I need to or not . It's 75 miles 1 way to Walmart 80 to a real Sporting goods store that may or may not have anything I need. If I go on another 60 miles (about every 6 weeks) in 3 stops I've found what I needed or its not available. Like that 2 yr w/o a small pistol primer on the shelf seems like it's large pistol now but they aren't impossible to get just inconvenient.

If the 22 RF bothers you that much go into business converting RF to a 22x25 auto and drilling RF bolts for CF then you and all your buddies have no need for RF ammo and at $89per 500 or 1000 (I don't know what a brick is anymore ) the $150 reamer and HF lathe to make dies pays of pretty fast .

Don't whine fix it .

butch2570
06-30-2015, 06:42 PM
So if you were running the store you would just keep prices where they were, plus any increase in wholesale costs, and let the 22 go out the door only to be sold down the street at ten times what you just sold it for? Don't blame the retailer! They would be just plain stupid to sell for ten times less than the going rate, that rate is determined by the buyer NOT the seller. Honestly if it were you would you just say "well I'm going to be a good guy and help everyone out until my inventory is gone"? It's simple supply and demand and the prices are high because people are willing to pay that for it, THAT'S why the prices are where they are. There are hundreds of thousands (and that's being conservative, it's probably more like a few million) shooters that would grab up a brick or two at bargain prices even with thousands of rounds stashed away, "better git-it-while-can", and until that attitude subsides nothing is going to change. No retailer can get more than a small supply and if they sell cheap they make nothing since they don't have the volume they did before, selling at the market price is just business whether we like it or not and those high prices is what will eventually bring this nonsense to an end. That's exactly my stance . And I have done it...... And If all businesses would conduct business exactly like you are describing , then the manufacturer is a fool to let that product go down the line and let the retailer make 10 x the money on the product , than the manufacturer is making by selling to the distributor.. All the manufacturer needs to do is take on line orders and ship from the factory warehouse and voila, 10 fold profit and no middlemen to deal with. You said it's plain stupid to sell for 10 x less than the going rate , so why are the manufacturers doing it ? And 1 more question for you, How many of these dealers are wanting to make money so bad, that they have 100 bricks setting in the back room on a pallet , and throw a couple boxes out on the shelf every 3- 4 weeks , and say yea buddy we just got a few boxes in , that's all they sent us, but hey, it's still 69.99 a brick , if ya want it. And do a repeat in a couple weeks to keep the prices sky high??

oldred
06-30-2015, 07:31 PM
I think a pretty good example of the situation is the local WalMart and a small (and I mean small, about a 10x12 room) gun shop. The WalMart holds prices to pretty much what they were plus their wholesale increase, inflation, etc but the catch is you will rarely find any because what they do get sells out as soon as it arrives. The small gunshop gets over $8 for a box of 50 but he has them! He told me, and I have no reason not to believe him, that his cost from his supplier is way higher than WalMart's retail price so he really isn't making a lot on them.

The bottom line is that the value of ANYTHING is only what folks are willing to pay for it and how well it will sell. Anytime there are more people waiting to buy than there is a supply of any kind of goods then the price will go up just as it does at an auction, in fact the supply and demand price setting at the retail level is little different than an auction and if anything is in short supply the price will keep going up until sales level off.

oldred
06-30-2015, 07:48 PM
That's exactly my stance . And I have done it...... And If all businesses would conduct business exactly like you are describing , then the manufacturer is a fool to let that product go down the line and let the retailer make 10 x the money on the product , than the manufacturer is making by selling to the distributor.. All the manufacturer needs to do is take on line orders and ship from the factory warehouse and voila, 10 fold profit and no middlemen to deal with. You said it's plain stupid to sell for 10 x less than the going rate , so why are the manufacturers doing it ? And 1 more question for you, How many of these dealers are wanting to make money so bad, that they have 100 bricks setting in the back room on a pallet , and throw a couple boxes out on the shelf every 3- 4 weeks , and say yea buddy we just got a few boxes in , that's all they sent us, but hey, it's still 69.99 a brick , if ya want it. And do a repeat in a couple weeks to keep the prices sky high??

The manufacturers are looking at the long term, and in that respect I think they may indeed have done things differently had they known this was going to last so long, but the retailer is looking at making a profit. And yes indeed it is kind of stupid to sell anything at the retail level at a low price when people are waiting in line to pay far more for it! What you are saying just makes no sense, if you have something, anything, and know what the price was two years ago and you have customers wanting to still buy it for that but other customers are now lining up to pay 4 or 5 times that who do you sell to? Especially when you know that most of what you do sell is going to go to people who will use your good gesture to profit for themselves! You can say what you like and point fingers at the merchants all you want but the problem is still the customer! What's so hard to understand? When something, anything, is in short supply it will go to those willling to pay the most it's always been that way and it always will.

A store knows what something will sell for, THAT'S what it's worth and it's just plain ridiculous to expect a store manager to say we need to be nice to people and suppress prices so that more people can afford these 22 rounds, never mind we lose our profit and our stock will get depleted in minutes then we won't have any to sell! Then when you consider that they know just as well as we do that most of what they sell at that price is going to end up at a gunshow or somewhere else at many times the price! If someone has something to sell and one customer is willing to pay far more than another one who do you sell to? It's as simple as that! Put the blame where it belongs and be realistic don't expect store management to try and suppress prices, that's just plain nonsense.

butch2570
06-30-2015, 07:54 PM
I think a pretty good example of the situation is the local WalMart and a small (and I mean small, about a 10x12 room) gun shop. The WalMart holds prices to pretty much what they were plus their wholesale increase, inflation, etc but the catch is you will rarely find any because what they do get sells out as soon as it arrives. The small gunshop gets over $8 for a box of 50 but he has them! He told me, and I have no reason not to believe him, that his cost from his supplier is way higher than WalMart's retail price so he really isn't making a lot on them.

The bottom line is that the value of ANYTHING is only what folks are willing to pay for it and how well it will sell. Anytime there are more people waiting to buy than there is a supply of any kind of goods then the price will go up just as it does at an auction, in fact the supply and demand price setting at the retail level is little different than an auction and if anything is in short supply the price will keep going up until sales level off. Why would Wal Marts prices be cheaper in your opinion? Because they are buying manufacturer direct and you actually have 2 companies involved that are not concerned about raping their customers . Or is there another reason. And do you think your gunshops' supplier is smiling.

Harter66
06-30-2015, 07:56 PM
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

You have a choice be whiny or do something about the cause.

jcwit
06-30-2015, 08:00 PM
Sure is nice to have a supply of .22 rimfire, small pistol primers, lg pistol primers, small rifle primers, large rifle primers, and powders for every need. All purchased long before zero was even a Senator.

More than I'll ever use up I suppose.

Problem being is it hurts the sport for the youngsters coming on. Sure is nice for them to get a .22 for Christmas and never have any ammo to shoot. Oh Ya, I forgot, a 14 year old kid can easily afford a brick of ammo at $100 no matter where it comes from.

Yup this shortage is sure helping our sport in the long run. Great days are here again!

butch2570
06-30-2015, 08:10 PM
The manufacturers are looking at the long term, and in that respect I think they may indeed have done things differently had they known this was going to last so long, but the retailer is looking at making a profit. And yes indeed it is kind of stupid to sell anything at the retail level at a low price when people are waiting in line to pay far more for it! What you are saying just makes no sense, if you have something, anything, and know what the price was two years ago and you have customers wanting to still buy it for that but other customers are now lining up to pay 4 or 5 times that who do you sell to? Especially when you know that most of what you do sell is going to go to people who will use your good gesture to profit for themselves! You can say what you like and point fingers at the merchants all you want but the problem is still the customer! What's so hard to understand? When something, anything, is in short supply it will go to those willling to pay the most it's always been that way and it always will.

A store knows what something will sell for, THAT'S what it's worth and it's just plain ridiculous to expect a store manager to say we need to be nice to people and suppress prices so that more people can afford these 22 rounds, never mind we lose our profit and our stock will get depleted in minutes then we won't have any to sell! Then when you consider that they know just as well as we do that most of what they sell at that price is going to end up at a gunshow or somewhere else at many times the price! If someone has something to sell and one customer is willing to pay far more than another one who do you sell to? It's as simple as that! Put the blame where it belongs and be realistic don't expect store management to try and suppress prices, that's just plain nonsense. You are correct in regards to , ( That's how it works in the real world , when businesses don't mind taking advantage of their customers). But I'm saying not every business is concerned with taking every last dollar from their customers.... And Wal Mart is a prime example , albeit they may not have it on a regular basis , it still is at respectable pricing when they do.

butch2570
06-30-2015, 08:18 PM
You have a choice be whiny or do something about the cause. Your're right and I have, I don't buy at those prices. You can call it whiny or whatever. I have a PLENTY of rimfire bought before any of this ever happened . I've only bought 2 bricks since the shortage began ,both for 24.99 a brick. I just plain don't care for greedy business.

jcwit
06-30-2015, 08:33 PM
mabe you should distribute your own stock you paid for in good times to covder folly of others with short sight?

Likely have and likely a lot more than you have!

jcwit
06-30-2015, 08:36 PM
mabe you should distribute your own stock you paid for in good times to covder folly of others with short sight?

Teach me how it is "folly" when a youngster gets his/her first firearm for Christmas and he/she can't get ammo. Please explain in full. Just where does their "short sight" come in?

butch2570
06-30-2015, 08:43 PM
mabe you should distribute your own stock you paid for in good times to covder folly of others with short sight?I absolutely have given some away to people that were not as fortunate... I personally don't mind to help people ,as long as I see it's legit.

TXGunNut
06-30-2015, 11:23 PM
I've been observing the 22 shortage as a spectator and my detached viewpoint has led to a bit of enlightenment. Personally, I shoot very little 22 so the bricks I have put away accidentally will last me quite some time. I love the premise of this thread. If you think about it some retailers have been hurt more by this "shortage" than most people realize. We have all seen empty shelves for long periods of time in retail stores, quite frankly that is a very bad thing for retailers. Retail shelf space is very expensive real estate, an empty shelf generates no revenue but plenty of ill-will from customers. I spoke to a LGS proprietor this past week and he said he spends at least a few hours a day trying to locate powder, primers and ammo. That's not the first time I heard that, been hearing it since Sandy Hook. I don't begrudge the retailers a bit higher markup these days, I'd rather support a retailer that pays taxes and employs people than an opportunist that works out of his garage and may or may not pay taxes on his profits. I even saw a "reseller" working the rimfire ammo area at Cabelas last weekend. He told another customer that he had plenty of 22LR ammo out in his car for sale. He didn't make a sale, but he picked up a few boxes to add to his inventory.
Personally I'm seeing plenty of 22LR on the shelves, just not anything I need. I'll leave it for the next guy and hope he and his kids (or grandkids) have a ball with it. I would like to see some 22WMR ammo on the shelf, my 597 will be back from Remington in a few months and I'd like to be able to feed it.
BTW I was looking at my 17HMR ammo dump the other day. May have to buy a rifle that shoots this wonderful little round. Plenty of it on the retail shelf, otherwise I might be an opportunist as well, lol.

MaryB
07-01-2015, 12:04 AM
www.gunbot.net leave it running in a browser tab and set your price points. It will alert you to in stock and you can jump on it.

It's easy for you guys that live in towns big enough to have 2 or 3 decent size sporting goods stores to say supplies are decent but I live 45 miles from a town big enough to be getting any .22 cartridges at all. Every small town in my area had at least a gas station that carried ammo. None, including my own have seen a box of .22 in at least 5 years. If I went to the larger community every day I could probably get a box here and there but on the few occasions I do go I have usually missed it by a day or 2 and my fuel cost can be added to the scalper price asked by the store.

MaryB
07-01-2015, 12:15 AM
I have sold(at what I paid) 22lr to a friend who was out, I have taken a gift of 500 rounds in a drawing and given it to a kid(with parents permission of course)... I have enough to last into fall then I will search for more target ammo. I do not need thousands of rounds of 22lr sitting around in the way.

jcwit
07-01-2015, 04:21 AM
I do not need thousands of rounds of 22lr sitting around in the way.

Nor do I, but it beats being out, or paying outlandish prices. My plinking ammo was purchased at, $8 to $12 bucks a brick, match ammo at $80 to $160 bucks a brick and is selling today at those same price points, and readily available I might add.

Bonz
07-01-2015, 09:42 AM
And they'll keep it up as long as there are enough fools willing to pay for it.

Absolutely agree !!!

FISH4BUGS
07-01-2015, 09:58 AM
You know, it has gotten to the point that I really don't care what .22's cost. I have a brick of subsonic and a brick of HV in the closet.
I shoot 38's, 380, 9mm, 357 and 44 cheaper than I can shoot a .22 anyway. Cast my own bullets, buy primers in 5000 lots, powder in 8 lb jugs and the brass almost never wears out. Why bother?

jonp
07-01-2015, 01:05 PM
www.gunbot.net leave it running in a browser tab and set your price points. It will alert you to in stock and you can jump on it.

Surprised people have not figured this out, Mary. Ive gotten a few jugs of Unique in the last year like that

shooter93
07-01-2015, 07:06 PM
How do you set your price points at Gunbot? and does it notify you only when something falls between them?

MaryB
07-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Create an account then it lets you store your own price alerts, when it falls to or below your setpoint you hear an alarm from the computer

Riverpigusmc
07-01-2015, 10:57 PM
I've refused to pay the going price for tree rat ammo. However, I just bought my 8 year old (I'm 58) a .22 revolver. Reckon I'll be searching