PDA

View Full Version : Walther CCP - Anybody have one yet?

marlin39a
06-27-2015, 08:55 AM
Walther Concealed Carry Pistol, CCP. 9mm, single stack, gas operated. www.galleryofguns.com (http://www.galleryofguns.com) has them listed, but allocated. I viewed the video and am interested. Just wanted a little feedback.

Dale53
06-27-2015, 03:13 PM
lt's funny you should ask. One kind of fell in my lap a week or so ago...

I haven't shot it yet, just haven't had a chance. It sure is comfortable feeling, tho'. Reasonably compact, too (not itty bitty, but compact). Great on the belt and may be a bit much for some's pocket. It'll work tolerably well in my pocket.

If it ever quits raining around here, maybe I'll get to the range with mine.

FWIW
Dale53

rintinglen
06-27-2015, 06:58 PM
A gas-operated 9? On a cast Boolits Forum? Perish the thought!

bedbugbilly
06-27-2015, 06:58 PM
I asked about the CCP on another forum as I was interested in learning/hearing more about them. I haven't seen one in a LGS or had the opportunity to hold one. lAll I have to go on is the write up in the latest American Rifleman - but I take that with a grain of salt like a lot of "reviews" in magazines - after all, who pays for the advertising in the magazines.

The responses I got were pretty slanted against it for one reason or another . . . well . . . O.K. But a lot of folks don't like Walther, Taurus, Ruger . . . etc. I'd like to hear some ACTUAL thoughts form folks who ACTUALLY OWN ONE.

The concept of them sounds good and they certainly appear to be nice . . . but that has nothing to do with the actual "function" of them . . . especially if you are going to use it for CCW.

Dale53 . . . I hope you'll do a review of yours after you've had a chance to shoot it and get used to it. I'm pretty much a "wheel gun" guy but I am going to add a 9mm single stack to switch off and on to with the Smith 36 snub that I usually carry. Right now, I've pretty much decided on a 9 mm Shield. But . . . once the CCP is generally available and proven . . . the price seems affordable and I'd certainly consider one as an additional 9mm.

I'd just like to hear an open and "unbiased" review or two by those who actually own them . . . not a "put down" of them because a person has a bug about Walther or anything related to them.

jonp
06-27-2015, 07:48 PM
I'm not really interested in someones opinion of a firearm they don't own and have not shot. I hope they work better than the Lorcen I have with a fixed barrel ;)

Petrol & Powder
06-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Not really gas operated, more like gas retarded. Works just like the H&K P-7. Gas is bleed off just in front of the casing and fed into a cylinder just below the fixed barrel. Gas pressure in that cylinder acts against a piston that retards the slide. It's a great system that allows greater pressures than a simple blowback design but doesn't require a heavy slide or a strong recoil spring.

jonp
06-28-2015, 05:16 AM
Not really gas operated, more like gas retarded. Works just like the H&K P-7. Gas is bleed off just in front of the casing and fed into a cylinder just below the fixed barrel. Gas pressure in that cylinder acts against a piston that retards the slide. It's a great system that allows greater pressures than a simple blowback design but doesn't require a heavy slide or a strong recoil spring.

I looked, I guess not hard enough, for exactly how the firearm worked and didn't find it. Thanks

Handloader109
06-28-2015, 07:18 AM
I'm on the fence with this one. I've got a ppq and would love a slightly smaller gun with pretty much the same grip. But what's held me back is takedown and breakage. Walther forum is full of folks that have had issues with it not holding up. Probably will pick one up, but not yet.

Petrol & Powder
06-28-2015, 10:15 AM
The gas-delayed operating system is an efficient way to make a small pistol for a high pressure cartridge. It allows for a fixed barrel and a relatively light slide, compact slide. I like the fact that Walther rounded the slide and used a lightweight polymer frame, both considerations for concealed carry. The single stack magazine was also a good idea in order to keep the width of the pistol to a minimum.

I'm not thrilled with addition of a manual safety and the always cocked striker. I would have preferred some version similar to the partially cocked striker used in Glock's and Kahr's. A pistol used for concealed carry can have some type of DAO action or some variation of DAO and eliminate the manual safety.

I'm also not sure why Walther believes the addition of a rail on the tiny dust cover is necessary for pistol aimed at concealed carry. While an accessory rail is often welcomed on a full sized duty pistol, the addition of that feature on a small gun intended for concealed carry takes away from the clean, smooth contour of the rest of the pistol. It smacks of appealing to the mall ninja types.
The other thing I noticed was the presence of what appear to be roll pins crossing through the polymer frame. Roll pins are fine for some small semi-permanent assemblies but I've never considered them to be a sign of quality when used to locate major components. (triggers, barrel blocks, sears, etc.)

From just casual observations based solely on photographs and printed articles, I feel that Walther dropped the ball just a bit on this gun. I like the gas-delayed system and feel it has real value in a small pistol I just wish Walther had used that fine operating system in conjunction with a slightly better receiver. Time may prove my observations wrong,...... we'll see.

Bigslug
06-28-2015, 11:22 AM
That's German redundancy for you. . .increase the lethality of a pistol by putting a gas chamber inside it. . .

It is, however, a neat idea. The recoil spring wrapped around the barrel lets you mount the barrel lower, making recoil easier to deal with. The problem with the P7, however, was HEAT. The gun would get quite warm after not very many shots. Not good for lengthy practice sessions. Not sure how well this will play in the polymer world.

Petrol & Powder
06-28-2015, 05:07 PM
OK, for starters, Bigslug gets the award for making me laugh.

I've owned a P7 for many years and actually shot it today. Yes, if you put a lot of rounds through it in a short period of time the receiver over the trigger will get hot. My example is a P7M8 so it has the heat shield and it still gets hot. However, for defensive use, I seriously doubt one would need to fire three or more full magazines through the gun in one rapid string of fire. The P7 is very compact, accurate and reliable. The heating is a small price to pay and not likely to be a factor in real world use.

If you need a handgun gun that can fire 50-100 rounds in short order, there are many other pistols that will easily do that. If you need a pistol that is compact, THIN, reliable, accurate and intuitive to use; the P7 is an excellent choice. Unfortunately it is also rather complex and expensive. It is fairly heavy for its size and requires that you learn an unusual manual of arms to master. It's not difficult to master, just different.

marlin39a
07-01-2015, 08:48 AM
They are available now. I went to Walthers site and viewed a take down video. You have to use a special tool to insert in the back of the striker assembly and turn it in order to disassemble. That is not for me. So, I'm still in love with my S&W Shield.

jonp
07-02-2015, 07:01 PM
It was in the new Rifleman. I saw that takedown. Anything that requires a special tool to dissemble it would give me great pause.

Bigslug
07-03-2015, 10:04 PM
It was in the new Rifleman. I saw that takedown. Anything that requires a special tool to dissemble it would give me great pause.

Yet another case of "John Browning had nearly tool-free DETAIL stripping figured out a century ago. Why is this so freakin' hard?"

Petrol & Powder
07-13-2015, 08:14 AM
I like the gas-delayed system used in the Walther CCP but the rest of the pistol is pretty much a let down for me.

kbstenberg
07-17-2015, 10:16 PM
I stopped at the local LGS and looked at the Walther CCP. I really like it. With my bad wrists I can even work the action easily. I am going to have to look more into this model. Kevin

bcp477
07-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Just purchased a CCP today. I was seduced by the wonderful grip & ergonomics of it, as well as the modest price.

A few observations:

The take down is much easier than many of the internet gurus claim. It took me exactly two tries, with the second being successful, to figure it out. I must say, after trying several objects, as well as the supplied tool, take down could be accomplished with a car key, if necessary. It really isn't that bad. Yes, you need a tool. But, it isn't rocket science. Not a deal killer for me, by any means.

The trigger, likewise, is not anything like as bad as some say. It isn't a 1911.....or a Glock. The trigger is perhaps more akin to a double action revolver. But, it isn't heavy (5 or 6 lbs), it doesn't stack and mine isn't gritty. Reset requires allowing the trigger to return all the way forward. A lot of dry firing this evening, though, has convinced me that it will NOT be an impediment to accurate shooting.

The action is truly unique, for current production pistols. No need to go into the details, as I am sure that everyone knows already. It seems well made and solid. I can't say that repair/ parts replacement would be easy - I've no idea - but that doesn't seem too much of an issue. Outright parts breakage on modern, well-designed pistols is not as common as many make it out to be. I was slightly concerned about the apparent lack of end user service/ repair capability (apparently, no parts are available for purchase from either Walther or the aftermarket).....but hopefully, this will not be an issue.

Overall, I am encouraged. I haven't had the chance to shoot my CCP as of yet, but I will report back when I do.