PDA

View Full Version : One the way home from Cody, WY today

Harry O
06-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Several observations: I hit approx 1-1/2 dozen gun shops from Loveland CO to Cody. Several of the places we planned to stop at were out of business. Almost all we stopped at have gone exclusively to new black guns. What little that was old was priced at the high end of Gunbroker ($3,800 for a blued Colt Python -- good shape, but NOT NIB). I hope that their decisions work out instead of putting them out of business. I don't know.

Cody is great, just like the last couple of times I was there (about 10 years apart for each visit). They had the rifle that was on the internet last year. The 132 year old Winchester 1873 that was found in a national park leaned up against a tree. I agree with those who thought it had not been outdoors that long. I have seen many guns on gunshow tables that were more rusted and were still being sold as shooters.

I did find a little pawnshop that had three partial boxes of OLD .32 Short Colt cartridges at a reasonable cost -- $25 for 91 cartridges. I intend to dismantle them and reuse the cases. I saw a few 41LC cases, but at over $1 per cartridge, I will load my own.

lightman
06-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a fun trip.

country gent
06-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a great trip. That new Black gun came out 50 years ago. Ars have been around since the mid 60s. But makes an enjoyable trip to break it up with those stops every so often.

runfiverun
06-27-2015, 12:44 AM
you should see Cody in the spring [before all the tourists show up]
you wander in and out of places like you own them, people smile, they even let you change lanes on the main road.

Porterhouse
06-27-2015, 01:16 AM
How long did it take from Loveland CO? With all those stops. Cody WY is one of the places I have on my "must to visit" list.

runfiverun
06-27-2015, 01:50 AM
it's about 14-20 hrs depending on whether you cut down some back [dirt] roads or not.
stopping at gun shops along the way probably makes it a 2 day trip.
I made it from Rifle to Cody in 11 hrs once by cutting through some oil field leases and taking some dirt roads.

Skunk1
06-27-2015, 09:01 AM
We're not far from Omaha. We make the trip out to Loveland every year with the kids. Stay in Estes and bounce around the mountains and back roads in the jeep. Beautiful out there. Can see myself living out there someday. This is the first year in quite awhile we won't make it. The boy and I both had ER visits and surgery so vacation fund went to docs and hospitals. Not the kind of vacation I wanted but we are at least able to look forward to next year.

Harry O
06-27-2015, 08:23 PM
The entire trip was 2,300 miles. It was done over two 14 hour days each way. About half was at 75mph and about half at 65mph. I did not bother to stop at any of the stores in Nebraska. I have already visited them enough. I wanted to see new stores.

One of the things I was looking for was SR4756 powder. By the time I heard it was discontinued, it was too late to buy any locally. I ran into two stores that had a can on the wall, but in each case, it was empty and they did not have any more.

Even though it was not the spring, the people there were nice -- especially when I ran over a screw driver and punctured the side of a tire near the tread. It was not repairable. I tire place nearby put my spare tire on (it is full size with a matching wheel) and mounted a same size takeoff tire in place of the punctured tire. Not much tread, but it held air. Total cost $40. It is now my spare, at least until I can find a tire sale.

reloader28
06-28-2015, 11:17 AM
I dont mind Cody as long as its not summer. Its a major tourist trap.
We try to avoid Cody in the summer. You dont even think of going there on the Fourth of July.
Non locals everywhere wearing cheap pointy cowboy boots, shorts, sunglasses on a string around their neck and a floppy fuzzy cowboy hat.
Rocky Mountain Sports is WAY too high priced. Thats strickly for tourists.
If we need something from town, we go to Powell or usually Billings.

Clay M
06-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Cody ,WY is one of my very favorite towns in the USA.
I always eat at the Erma, and go to the museum.
I have to spend at least two days there whenever I visit.
I have thought about moving there, but I have too many roots here.
Too much blood and sweat put into the soil for too many generation.
Nope, I am afraid I will die right here.