PDA

View Full Version : Old CH press ram identification?

RogerDat
06-25-2015, 03:22 PM
I acquired an older CH "C" press and when I mounted it for use I found that the ram won't accept the shell holder that came with a Lee .38 special die set. I did some searches here and while I find that there were different types of rams I don't find anything that helps identify what type of ram I have.

There is a spring clip on the ram that seems consistent with holding a shell holder in place. The horizontal slot however is too small ( horizontal width < shell holder button ) to allow a shell holder to fit.

I am trying to figure out if I need an adapter of some sort or need to purchase the CH4D universal ram. Considering the adapters cost 1/2 as much....

What is the purpose of the slotted tabs at the top with a hole running across horizontally? All the images I see of these presses it just has a screw in it. Thought it might be for some sort of primer feed tube. These look sort of like the tabs for the primer arm down by the ram except these are at the top in front of the die threads.

Anyone used the primer arms that CH4D makes for these? I have other primer system on Lee press but the CH4D universal priming arm is only $10 and would make the press a complete system.

I don't have a picture but it looks just like this minus all the accessories (which is why I am asking about accessories)
http://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/141085/957899447/wm_4933991.jpg

Wayne Smith
06-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Why don't you call Dave Davidson at CH4D? He still supports the old CH stuff if he has the parts, and has a large amount of parts, apparantly.

oldlincoln
06-26-2015, 11:09 AM
RCBS makes a replacement ram, their #9109.

ascast
06-26-2015, 11:21 AM
call CH4D as above. your ram is the shell holder, probably 30-06 or 38 special as there were most common. I have a modern universal if CH4D does not. They are a fairly common item on flea bay. The old style shell holders like your work fine. They take 45 seconds to change out rather than 5 seconds like the new ones. The old ones are getting harder to find. They do not sell well on on-line auctions sites, or at local gun shows. If you ask around the older shops that trade loading stuff, you might turn up a bucket or 2 for a scrape price.
good luck

mdi
06-26-2015, 12:49 PM
I have one of the same presses. I bought a "Universal" ram for it from C-H and it is my dedicated boolit sizing and depriming press...

RogerDat
06-26-2015, 02:35 PM
I'll try some other brass and see what fits the ram, I have a few fairly common sizes of brass I can try, 38 brass was one I already tried, too sloppy by far.
It seems like people believe ram as cartridge specific holder is what I have rather than some odd size cut for a different shell holder. Guess if that is the case I might be able to find a member that can use it if I purchase a universal ram.

Looked for the RCBS 9109 but most of the usual places had it sold out. Guess I'll have to go with http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/412090 from CH4D once I confirm the ram length and diameter. Darn I just ordered (and promptly received) the primer pocket swage kit for military crimped primers from them. Was one of the uses I planned for this press. Could have saved shipping by ordering in one shot.

Anyone use the Universal Priming Arms for these rams from CH4D? http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/priming-tools/41409 I would like to include these with the ram order if they work well enough to be worth purchasing. Like the idea of a press able to fully load a round without additional primer tools but don't like buying tools that don't work well.

gwpercle
06-26-2015, 06:45 PM
I have an old Pacific Super C, it looks a lot like yours , and use the CH4D replacement primer arm in it, it has the flat spring , and it fit right in. I actually got it because the arm was still there but the posts , cups, and springs were missing. Just swapped out the whole thing .
It fits right in my Pacific and works just fine for on press priming...no problemo !

RogerDat
06-27-2015, 12:16 AM
Thanks gwpercle that is what I needed to know. ascast you pegged it, ram fit 30-06 brass.

I like older tools that are solid and can still do the job so I'm looking forward to getting the parts and setting that press up.

dsbock
06-27-2015, 12:41 AM
I have one of the old Pacific C presses and a collection of rams as well. One of these days I'll order the Universal Ram from CH4D.

In the meantime, does anyone know of a way to make these old presses work on the downstroke?

Thanks.

David

Pressman
06-27-2015, 07:11 AM
Rodger, if I am reading your post correctly you have a universal ram, just that your Lee shellholder will not fit. That is not an uncommon problem. Dimensional differences between the ram slot and shellholder shank are very common. Especially with the type of ram you have.
1., try a different brand of shellholder.
2., take a small file and open up the front lips of the slot.
3., take a small hammer and tap the shellholder in. This works, but you have trouble removing the shellholder. Once you get the shellholder in you will find if fits well, it is just getting through the opening.

Note, that these rams are soft, the lips of the shellholder slot can and do get bent.

The two lugs at the top of the frame with the cross hole are for the universal automatic primer feed assembly.

Does anyone actually use the primer feed? I have not seen pictures of any board members using one so I am asking.

Ken

RogerDat
06-27-2015, 10:20 AM
I too wondered about the universal primer feed. Sort of dismissed it because a tube of primers seemed like it would be difficult to fill. Plus was a little concerned about chain explosion in metal tube on front of the press. I like the Lee Safety Prime on the Lee turret press with the auto index rod removed so it is single stage. Easy to load a hundred primers and primer orientation and separation seem safer.

I used a Lee whack-a-mole loader so setting primers in cup one at a time for small batches does not bother me. But hey if those universal primer tubes are a good product I might want to explore that further. I have 2 older C presses with those tabs. This CH and an SI aluminum press. Could see using one or the other for primer station.

RogerDat
06-27-2015, 10:37 PM
Pressman - small file was the ticket. Cleaned up the edges of the ram shell holder slot with a small file and was able to slip both a 38 and 44 mag shell holder in and back out. On close inspection it appears that the ram may have been banged around a bit and taken some damage to the top edges. The small c shaped spring clip fits and provides tension to hold in the shell holder.

So won't need a ram - this one fits the universal shell holders (after a bit of work).
The universal primer arm works - probably worth the $10 + shipping to have a priming station.

Don't know if the universal primer feed works well or not

Mine does work on the down stroke (ram goes up as handle goes down)