PDA

View Full Version : Question to those with Lyman dipper

06-25-2015, 08:37 AM
How are you keeping the threaded handle "locked" into the bowl?

Hickory
06-25-2015, 08:43 AM
Peen one or two threads half way up on the rod handle will do it.
Don't over do it.

GrayTech
06-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Or you can turn a die on the bar to create more thread and use a nut to lock it on.

Beagle333
06-25-2015, 09:02 AM
Peen one or two threads half way up on the rod handle will do it.
Don't over do it.

+1 here

country gent
06-25-2015, 11:46 AM
I used a split die to run thread back on mine It was set on the large size making an interfrence fit thread for last few threads. If you handles threads are long enough they come thry into inside of ladle assemble and with punch and light hammer peen end over on inside to lock in place also. This way is permanant takes metal removeal to disasemble it after its done so besure its what you want first.

cajun shooter
06-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Have you tried any of the thread lockers on the market? Another way is to go to any machine shop that is small and with just a few employees, these guys usually are easier to talk with. Have them thread the handle out for more available threads and install a locking nut.

Elkins45
07-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Dip it in salt water and screw it together. This is one place where rust is your friend. I couldn't unscrew mine if I wanted to.

Geezer in NH
07-12-2015, 03:45 PM
My dipper is threaded??

Cowboy_Dan
07-12-2015, 11:36 PM
My dipper is threaded??

I have an old (I believe) Lyman ladle. The handle does not appear to be threaded, and it definately cannot be moved to the other side like the modern model.

gwpercle
07-15-2015, 08:20 PM
The new ones have a threaded boss on both sides, in theory the new and improved dipper " can be assembled for either right or left hand use!" Ain't that considerate of them ? Thinking about the poor neglected left handed boolit casters....but I notice, they don't make a left handed mould, so what's a person to do ! Left handed dipper and a right handed mould. That's just not right !

LAGS
07-22-2015, 11:34 PM
I still have and use my old Lyman dipper that I got back in the 70's
I actually like it better than the Newer Improved version , but for only two cavity molds.
The Improved holds enough lead for a 6 banger .45 -230 mold, the original only will pour 4 holes before refilling.
I too put salt water on the threads of my Improved model, and the handle has never come loose.

CHeatermk3
07-24-2015, 10:45 AM
"....but I notice, they don't make a left handed mould, so what's a person to do ! Left handed dipper and a right handed mould. That's just not right !"

Any moulds that do not come with handles attached can be mounted to your handles for either right or left-handed use.

The new Lee moulds with those crappy "screws" can be turned around, but only once and only if you're lucky enough to put the screws back in exactly as they were installed from the factory. If not then you'll need to re-drill and tap for standard-type screws. I have a few of the older style moulds that I've turned around for myself and have successfully turned one of the new style moulds but I'll never knowingly purchase another of the "New, Improved" Lee moulds.