PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy issues update - seem to have resolved

wyrmzr
06-24-2015, 09:51 PM
Well, after 500+ rounds through my new barrel, my accuracy issues involving FMJBT rounds in my AR seem to have resolved themselves.
I went out yesterday with my nephew so he could sight in the AR he'd just purchased, and as I was using my scope to watch his targets, I saw movement on the berm that is our backdrop. Closer inspection revealed a woodchuck had stepped onto the berm, while he was shooting (I can only assume the woodchuck was suicidal).
The woodchuck's head was obscured by one of the targets, so I fired at center mass. This caused him to change directions and begin trying to head to safety. That caused his head to come into view, and I trained my crosshairs on his head at just over 100 yards. One pull of the trigger, and he rolled down the berm. The 55 grain FMJBT round appears to have entered his left eye. All I can think of right now is that the barrel needed some breaking in to accurately fire boat tail rounds. I'll be confirming that over the next few days.

jugulater
06-25-2015, 09:13 AM
my only guess about the barrel would be that you effectively shot out the burrs left by the factory reamer.

we had a Turkey wander onto our range last week during one of our "vintage military rifle matches" (we just like to shoot things with old guns im the only one who uses the fancy name).
the darn thing literally stepped infront of one of our targets. because of the turkey's shear bravery we decided to spare him.

c1skout
06-25-2015, 04:51 PM
That turkey may have seen me shooting and decided that the front of the target was the only safe place to be!