PDA

View Full Version : Brass molds?

TNsailorman
06-24-2015, 04:34 PM
I have used aluminum and iron molds since the early 70's but never a brass mold. So my question is for those who have used all 3. Is there any real difference in the different metals as far as performance or up keep? Thanks, james[smilie=s:

labradigger1
06-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Brass molds do not rust as iron does.
Brass molds are MUCH heavier than aluminum or fe molds.
Brass molds need to be preheated 3-4 heat cycles to break in.
Brass molds cost more.
Aluminum molds are lighter than all.
Iron molds will take more abuse than all.
My preference?
brass molds every day of the week.
Lab

dragon813gt
06-24-2015, 05:07 PM
If only this forum had a search feature :rolleyes:

This topic has been discussed many many times. No point in typing the same thing yet again.

AggieEE
06-24-2015, 05:09 PM
I think I can get a brass mold working for me easier than other types. However, my brass molds are from Mehec. I also like NOE's aluminum molds. Much better than Lee's. That said, Mehec and NOE ( Swede Nelson) are semi-custom molds. If I had to choose between Lyman/RCBS and Lee I would take the steel molds. The Lee 6 cav molds are usually better than the two cav. If your budget will allow it go with one of the group buys, Mehec, Swede and you'll never look back. Swede does have molds in stock and Mehec may have some over runs. I don't have an Accurate mold but other members speak highly of him also.

dancingbear41
06-24-2015, 05:24 PM
Since I have discovered brass moulds I have not looked back. I have two Accurate and five MP moulds. I love them. My only regret is not discovering them sooner.

Simon.

white eagle
06-24-2015, 05:47 PM
James
like you I have used the 3 metals you have noted
I prefer iron and brass over aluminum
seems to me that I get more consistent heat on the blocks than I can with aluminum
might be my way of casting but thats how I choose

TNsailorman
06-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Thanks for your input men. I am heading toward a mold for my .41 magnum and was thinking about going brass this time but wanted a few opinions before I made up my mind. Again, Thanks. james

country gent
06-25-2015, 11:28 PM
I have found brass holds heat longer and seems to heat more evenly. Steel / mehinite takes more abuse and holds heat well but to take longer to "normalize" the heat thru the blocks. Aluminum heats quickly and cools quickly it does seem to heat evenly also. A brass mould can be ran at a slower pace than steel and aluminum due to its holding heat better. A steel mould can be ran pretty well at a moderate pace ussually and aluminum may have to be ran fairly quick to maintain temperature. The other variable in this is the size of the bullet being cast. A 45cal 550 grn bullet ( plus sprue) transfers alot more heat to the blocks every cast cycle than what a 22 cal 55 grn bullet and sprue do. Another is number of cavities in the mould. I have a 2 cavity old west mould that drops 547 grn bullets and actually needs to set a little between when the lead goes in and the sprue is cut or it overheats. I really do like my brass moulds I have 3 all from old west moulds all for 40 cal or 45cal long heavy bullets. They cast very nice accurate consistant bullets. The only drawback is the time for them to cool down after the session is over. My mehanite lymanns are cool by the time I have everything picked up and ready tp pit away. The aluminums are cool way before. The big brass moulds on the concrete floor are still to hot to touch and need another 20 mins to 1/2 hour. If you can borrow a brass mould to try it would give you needed information to make a decisson.

RobS
06-25-2015, 11:31 PM
Brass can be a heavy beast for sure. I have no problem with a 2 cavity brass but let the 4 cavity brass go. Yes indeed, I use the mold guide when casting unless the HP hardware doesn't let me.

bangerjim
06-25-2015, 11:54 PM
Brass.......YES

aap2
06-26-2015, 09:30 AM
Brass is fantastic. Great heat retention, will not rust and less prone to wear than aluminum especially on the tops of the blocks from the sprue plate. Sure, brass is heavier than aluminum; using a mould guide helps. Tom at Accurate will make you a custom brass mould to your specs, NOE has a significant number in stock to order and MiHec often has leftovers. I also have many iron and aluminum moulds but prefer brass. You will pay more for a brass mould but considering the cost of factory .41 mag slugs you will recoup the cost quickly. Good luck.

longbow
07-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Yup! brass and aluminum moulds don't rust for sure... but the steel sprue plates do!

It always surprises me that "not rusting" is a feature people look for. My iron moulds don't rust because I oil them after use. I do the same with my brass and aluminum moulds because the steel sprue plates and steel alignment pins will rust if not protected with oil or kept away from any humidity.

In any case, I like my brass moulds very much. I have three Mihec brass moulds and one Accurate brass mould. If I had more toy money I would have many more.

In all honesty if I had to choose one material it would be iron. I prefer iron and brass over aluminum and I like both materials but I have a soft spot for an iron mould. Not sure why but I do. I have many single and two cavity iron moulds and all do a fine job. Iron does take more abuse than brass or aluminum but a mould should not be abused anyway so that is not a big factor in my view. Treat an aluminum mould well and it will last a lifetime, especially if a quality made aluminum mould like NOE.

Brass is heaviest of the three materials but not that much heavier than iron. I only have three 4 cavity moulds and all are aluminum. Not that I chose them because they were aluminum as I would have preferred brass or iron but aluminum is what was available and the moulds work well.

I really do not think there is any significant difference in performance or upkeep for any of the three materials if you are talking quality moulds. All three can and do work well.

I have NOE aluminum moulds, Lee aluminum moulds, Mihec brass and aluminum moulds, Accurate brass, several Lyman iron moulds , Ohaus iron mould, RCBS iron moulds.

Overall the brass and iron moulds seem to suit my casting methods and cadence better than aluminum is all.

YMMV

Longbow

tygar
07-02-2015, 08:16 PM
I have many of each. I like all for different reasons & one main one - good ones always cast good bullets.

I have always preferred iron over all others but between NOE & MP making what I want & being so just plain good & NOE being unusually fast iron is taking a back seat.

I can't say enough good things about NOE molds & MPs are also great but the time frame is a real drawback, & I don't like the weight. Iron is right in the middle & is indestructible, just keep it oiled.

You can't go wrong with any of them.