PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance on an old Dillon 550B

Dale53
03-23-2008, 09:01 PM
As I have mentioned several times recently, I got my second Dillon 550B. The original one has loaded thousands of loads of about a dozen rifle and pistol loads since I got it (right after they hit the market). I can't really tell you what year I bought it, but it has been in the late 70's or early 80's. I have performed NO maintenance on it other than keeping it clean and making sure the powder slides were regularly cleaned and occasionally lubed with DRY teflon to keep them running smooth (you are NOT to use ANY oil on these slides as it will migrate to the primers with bad things happening).

At any rate while running some .45 ACP's today, I noticed that the action was getting sluggish. It was taking more effort to operate the press than need be. I ended up partially removing the "link arm pin" (what is now part #13700). The original link pins were retained with "circlips". The circlips were easy to remove with a pair of needle nose pliers. But the pin was jammed (it had galled in the left link arm bushing). It was necessary to run a "c" clamp over the two links to prevent me from possibly bending the left one when I tried to drive the pin through from the right side of the press. Clamping the two links so that they maintained their relationship with each other allowed me to drive the pin out to the left with no danger of damaging anything. I drove the pin out about 75% so I could fully access the bushing in the right link which I cleaned and oiled. I could see that the pin had galled somewhat in the left link. However, I cleaned the pin with Ed's Red, dried it, then lubed it with Dexron II transmission fluid. This is far superior to the motor oil suggested (motor oil does NOT provide much rust prevention where as transmission fluid both lubricates and protects). Then I re-installed the pin and everything is back to normal again (working just as smoothly as the new press).

I was thinking that this press would benefit from oil holes in the links and bushings. I was seriously considering calling Dillon and suggesting that for new presses. About this time, I looked over at the new press and discovered that the new press WAS drilled for oil holes

RFWobbly
03-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Dale -
Remember, Dillon equipment is guaranteed for life. If you'll send the parts back they'll replace them for free. I bought a Dillon powder measure on Ebay for cheap because it was missing some of the linkage on the side. This thing was first generation. I called Dillon and told them parts were missing and new replacement parts soon appeared in my mail box. I now have a complete Dillon powder measure!!

I have some oil I'd like you to try on those linkages and your ram. You're going to think I'm crazy until you think about it. It's motorcycle chain oil made by Bel-Ray (Belray.Com (http://www.belray.com)). Not all chain oil is this good. It goes on like a thin oil, flowing into all the tight places, then thickens up. It's waterproof, rated for extreme pressure, and extremely tenacious. You'll never have an issue with galling again after one application. Bel-Ray is supreme.

Dale53
03-26-2008, 12:16 AM
RFWobbly;
Thanks for the suggestions, O & W:mrgreen:. Being an old motorcycle racer, I am aware of the properties of Bel-Ray. However, my problem wasn't the quality of the oil, it was more NO oil for nearly thirty years. It is now on a "maintenance schedule" and hopefully that will NOT happen again.

Dale53