PDA

View Full Version : Static elec

Messy bear
06-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Hi guys,
Wondering if there is a way to prevent static build up in measures ect? Metal equip mounted on wood benches. I notice static on all plastic parts. After cleaning they work better and most times it's just static it seems. Any thoughts?

ascast
06-24-2015, 09:28 AM
ground them to water pipe or electric circuit with a scrap of wire

Messy bear
06-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Been thinking that. Really notice with it with auto disk and unique.

cheese1566
06-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Wipe with a fabric softener sheet. I like to use a used one from the dryer. A new one sometimes leaves a film if wiped too hard.
after a while, I don't have trouble with the measures when a coating of powder residue developes.

Ole Joe Clarke
06-24-2015, 09:49 AM
I have a friend that stores dryer sheets in his empty Dillon powder measures, and probably any others also.

Messy bear
06-24-2015, 10:11 AM
Thx guys.

Tom Myers
06-24-2015, 10:11 AM
I just started grounding my press a few days ago and was really amazed at the difference it made. I had just about given up on throwing consistently accurate charges from the 6 or so case-activated Lee Auto Disk measures that I use with my Lee Loadmaster press.

Using a piece of #10 insulated automotive wire, I connected one end to an electric outlet ground and clipped the other end to my press.

With the Lee Auto Disk measures mounted in shell plates and set up for four different powders (IMR 4831, Hodgdon 4831SC, Reloader 7, and Goex Olde Eynsford FFG) on my Lee Loadmaster press, each charge was within plus or minus 1/10 grain out of at least 10 test charges thrown for each powder. ( all 10 of the Rel 7 throws were right on the money. My Ohaus 10-10 scale is quite sensitive and each time the pointer was right on the zero mark. Amazing).

I have been thinking about using a ground wire for a long time but didn't really think it would do that much good. Recently, my lovely wife was having problems with static electricity causing the yarn on her Passup knitting machine to jump off the needles. I installed a ground wire to the machine and the problem was solved.

Needles to say, I am now sold on static prevention and have been mentally kicking myself for not applying the same fix to my reloading system a long time ago.

The ground wire, plus the Shake Brake modification from Magic Mike's Reloading Bench (http://www.mikesreloadingbench.com/mikes%20reloading%20bench_003.htm)has made my Loadmaster static free and vibration free with the result that, for me at least, consistent, accurate powder charges are now possible using a progressive press.

ascast
06-24-2015, 10:17 AM
BTW - do you have carpet in your loading room? Are you a foot shuffler as you walk? You may want to ground yourself before work.

M-Tecs
06-24-2015, 10:50 AM
I have been grounding all of my presses for the last 10 years. It is well worth the effort.

noylj
06-26-2015, 03:41 AM
Never had any problem with static except having kernels stick to plastic hopper. Just take the measure off the press and tap it into funnel on powder bottle to get kernels loose works fine for me.
Never had any effect of the charge weight being thrown.
Washing plastic parts with soapy water and letting them air dry (no rinsing) works well.
Running a bunch of graphitized powder or even powdered graphite works.
What is a bear to me is Power Pistol and BE-86 clumping up in the measure and not flowing well.
Used anti-static drier sheets works.

Ole Joe Clarke
06-26-2015, 07:50 AM
My Much Better Half (MBH) picked up some unscented drier sheets yesterday. Put some in the powder measures. Let's see if it works.

Have a blessed day.