PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for seecamp .380

Andy
06-24-2015, 09:16 AM
I am new to reloading this year and am interested in reloading for my .380 seecamp. Two important considerations with this gun are that it can be very finicky with ammo (bullet nose shape and OAL of cartridge), and it uses what I think is called a "retarded blowback action," not sure if I got the term right but it effectively has an off center gouge milled into the chamber so that the case expands into that and slows the recoil of the slide during extraction.

I have already loaded some hornady 90 grain ftx loads with new brass that worked flawlessly so that was a promising start. Right now all I have left is once-fired brass though and my main reason for writing this post is that I am concerned about reloading with the now bulged cases. Is it unwise to reload this brass due to the significant deformation it goes through in being fired from this type of gun? When I resize it you can still somewhat see an outline of where the bulge was.

What do you guys think? Ok to reload normally, ok to reload it but only use with low power plinking loads and retire the brass after a small number of loadings, or don't re-use this brass at all?

rintinglen
06-24-2015, 12:59 PM
My only experience with the Seecamp is with the 32, so I can't truly speak with experience, but given the comparatively low pressure of the 380 cartridge, I would be inclined to think that the bulge would not preclude reloading. If you could post a picture, it might help to make a more definitive answer.

If Seecamp would put a sight of some sort on their guns I might own one, but probably not. I don't have huge hands, but those guns are at the very bottom of the size that I can shoot. I have an LCP that is a smidge larger, but is much easier for me to shoot.

FergusonTO35
06-26-2015, 05:18 PM
The only way to know is to try it. Resize some cases and see if they grow in length, or develop any folds or creases. .380 brass is pretty thin so it's not surprising to find a bulge. My Kel-Tec .32 develops a bit of a guppy belly on the brass under the feed ramp. It has never caused a problem. You will find that lead boolit loads require less pressure than jacketed and help your brass to last longer.

Andy
06-27-2015, 06:05 AM
Thanks guys, I have already resized all the brass so a photo probably wouldn't show anything worthwhile. Next time I shoot some maybe I'll take a photo of the case to show the bulge size and post it.

In resizing, nothing odd happened like creases etc., just that you can still see some visual difference (smooth to touch though) where the bulge used to be.

gsdelong
06-27-2015, 08:11 AM
Lee factory crimp die and a bulge buster kit will eliminate your worries.

Andy
07-02-2015, 03:47 PM
I wasn't aware of the lee bulge buster kit, thanks for letting me know about that, neat idea as usual from Lee. Their warning on the site succinctly sums up my worry with this brass though:

Glock Cases: We do not recommend "fixing" cases fired in pistols with unsupported chambers, because there is no way to make them safe once they have bulged. The case wall is thinned where it bulges, and resizing the outside of the case back down to the correct diameter does not restore the case back to its original thickness. If this case is fired in a pistol with an unsupported chamber again, and this thinned section of brass happens to line up with the unsupported part of the chamber, there is a high probability that the case will rupture.

Although my cases are bulging inside the chamber not at the head of the cartridge like on a glock, I worry that this exact same principle would apply here. Starline cases are slightly thicker than normal brands, right? Maybe I should just get a couple hundred of those and only plan on reloading them a few times as an additional measure of safety.

gsdelong
07-04-2015, 06:44 AM
Section a fired one with a jewelers saw. In the unsupported glock you can clearly see that the brass is starting to shear. I am not sure you are looking at the same issue, see the thread below.

http://10mm-firearms.com/reloading-10mm-ammo/cross-section-of-a-smiley/

gunoil
07-04-2015, 08:34 AM
If you load use a 380 cartridge gage/midwayusa.com and other places including here first.

I run 115gr/ 122gr thru glock 42, no prob, shot a thousand. I load 380's on dillon 1050. I gas check 380/9/45/38-357/etc..

I have run 380 brass thru bb kit, but it's useless. Dont overload your 380 ammo!

Andy
07-09-2015, 10:47 PM
gsdelong, thanks that is an excellent idea and addresses my main concern directly

coincidentally, just got given 100 brand new .380 win brass so I guess I'll start the process with that after I shoot off what i have loaded, thanks for the ideas everone I'll report back once I section a piece of fired brass