PDA

View Full Version : 38s&w load

chevyiron420
03-23-2008, 08:24 PM
i just got my new mold for my 38s&w. i ordered the 158 grain RNFP from lee. i have one cavity lapped out and its dropping .361 with #2 aloy. i cast up a few and loaded with 3.2 grains of unique. itt will be thursday before i can test em out. i am interested in any loads you may have for it, what powders, and what kind of velocity can be eek'ed out of it safley. my revolver is a smith&wesson regulation police, and is in good shape. the powders i have on hand are bullseye, unique, olin540, reddot. thanks-phil:castmine:

dale2242
03-23-2008, 10:24 PM
chev, don`t mean to hijack your thread, but maybe you can answer a question for me. Can I load 38SW with my 38 Spec dies? If I can, the answer to your question will be of interest to me also---dale

Russ in WY
03-23-2008, 10:34 PM
For a lite-2-Med load , try 2.7 -3.0 of Bullseye. Thats what works for Me. Good luck. Russ.

crazy mark
03-23-2008, 11:48 PM
chev, don`t mean to hijack your thread, but maybe you can answer a question for me. Can I load 38SW with my 38 Spec dies? If I can, the answer to your question will be of interest to me also---dale

Dale,
Not a good idea as the 38 S&W is just a little bigger diameter. I tried it and got more split cases than I liked. It's like shooting 32 S&W longs in a 7.62 Nagant. Over half of them split. But you could do it if your seating die was short enough to crimp a tad. Mark

9.3X62AL
03-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Dale--

9mm Makarov dies do a pretty decent job with the 38 S&W. The seater die is usually a taper-crimp (not roll-crimp), but a Lee Factory Crimp Die for 38 S&W could be added on. Use a 38 Special shell holder (e.g., RCBS #6).

chevyiron420
03-24-2008, 03:49 AM
i need to get something better than the dies im useing, but i make out o.k. after they have been fired once. i use 9 luger dies. the sizer i have is tapered some so i just size enough to reduce the dia. of the mouth of the case so it will hold the boolit. then i flare the case with a lee universal die. so im just neck sizing realy. the luger seater works great on my set. hopefully i will make a lyman type of expander 'M' die this week, and maybe thursday i can shoot some over the crony to see how fast there going with 3.2 grains of unique.-phil:castmine:

lathesmith
03-25-2008, 10:54 AM
chevy, be very careful about using such light loads of flake powder. Especially if you are using a Lee or similar disk-type measure, such loads can get unreliable. The only consistent way I have found to use light loads with flake powder is with a hand dipper, verifying each charge. This is slow, I know, but the disk measures can bridge and give light--or no--charge at all, and this leads to nasty things like stuck boolits in the bore, etc. I have have good results using Bullseye or WW231 in light loads. Just something to keep in mind.
lathesmith

Dale53
03-25-2008, 11:23 AM
lathesmith is "right on" about this. I discussed this very problem a couple of days ago:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=27799

If you read the whole thread you'll see that it is NOT about the powder choice nor the powder measure but a combination of the powder choice AND powder measure. Small holes do NOT work well with flake powders. However, above a certain charge (you'll have to discover this on YOUR equipment) things work well. Red Dot was my problem and I am currently using it with excellent results in my Dillon measure at 4.1 grains (in a .45 ACP).

I also believe strongly that middle range pistol powders (in this case Unique) are NOT the best for tiny charges in relatively light loads (pretty much ALL .38 S&W loads are "light". This is the place for Bullseye or 231 as the other poster stated. Unique is one of my very favorite powders but tiny, light loads are NOT it's forte.

Dale53

trooperdan
03-25-2008, 01:57 PM
I'll third what Dale says; it cost me a new barrel for my Glock 22 when i foolishly fired another round behind a squib that lodged a J-word boolit in the barrel. I was using the Lee powder measure and I honestly am not certain of the powder but might have been WST or Clay's.

chevyiron420
03-25-2008, 06:15 PM
thats interesting. i use a RCBS measure, and it throws unique within 3 tenth's, but i trickle each charge anyway! the only reason i have unique loaded in my first loads is the lyman book shows the best velocity with it. i want to work up a load with the best accuracy and velocity comprimise.-phil:castmine:

Dale53
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
I Just received the latest "Fouling Shot" magazine from the CAST BULLET ASSOCIATION. In it, is a detailed article on the very problem (flake powder in a small hole measure) that resulted in a ringed barrel. I would say that is a bit "timely":mrgreen:.

So, it is CONFIRMED from multiple sources-there CAN be a problem. Ignore this at your peril (or gun's peril, or both:().

I have loaded a pick up truck load of .32 cartridges (well, maybe not QUITE a pick up truck load[smilie=1:) with mostly Win 231 and Bullseye. Both of these seem to meter quite well with the Lee measure with amounts as small as 1.8grs. So, the TYPE of powder is ALL important.

Something else for us to think about and act on.

Dale53

Bret4207
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Something to be said for the old Lyman 55 with the little knocker on the front. I have the habit of flipping it a couple times on every drop.

Where else will you find info on the 38WS+W like this? Gotta love this place!

Dale53
03-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Where else will you find info on the 38WS+W like this? Gotta love this place!

Lyman Reloading Manual[smilie=1:. You want to especially keep in mind Lyman's warning - the listed loads are for SOLID FRAME revolvers only. NO break opens are recommended for reloading due to their inherent structural weaknesses.

Dale53

26Charlie
03-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I've used 3.0 gr. UNIQUE with a 148 gr. bullet in a H&R top-break. I wouldn't go more than that, but in the solid frame Smiths & Colts there are some hotter loads. The case doesn't have a lot of room in it. I use Lee .38 S&W dies, and they will also size 9mm Largo for the Astra 400 auto.