PDA

View Full Version : cheap pewer/tin

seawolf
06-24-2015, 06:34 AM
A while back I scored some high tin lead from the scrap yard. I went back today and a person was selling silver plate tea sets and bowls. the XRF showed 2 percent silver 96 percent tin and a little copper and antimony. I bought 40 pounds from the yardman for $88.00. none of the items were hallmarked pewter. I have walked by tons of this stuff in yard/garage sales for next to nothing. The yardman will test any scrap I bring in for a 2 liter coke. He also will hold all of the scrap pewter that comes in for me. I will use a brine bath to deplate the silver then melt down the rest for casting. Hope this helps others, the scrap man is your friend.
Mark

Beagle333
06-24-2015, 07:23 AM
It depends on your location. My scrapyard/recycle center went all NO SALES TO THE PUBLIC a couple of years ago.

Yodogsandman
06-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Do you have any photos of this stuff to help us identify it?

imashooter2
06-24-2015, 11:57 AM
The guns only work on the surface. How did they determine the base metal?

bangerjim
06-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Leave the silver plate there. Just melt the stuff.

Most "silver plate" I have seen is silver over POT METAL......alloys of Zn and Cu and other stuff....NOT Sn.

Will it melt a the temps listed for Sn? Pot metal sure will not.

banger

seawolf
06-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Testing was done by deep scratch with a grinding wheel then the test is half way through the metal. When flexed pewter will flex back to its original shape pot metal and zinc will not. Of course with heavy items like candle holders flexing is not an option.
Mark

Budzilla 19
06-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Werewolf casting alloy?? Sounds to me that you SCORED! (I'm with you Banger, just melt it )and then brag to your fellow casters about your "silver boolits "!! Seriously, I think you did it right, you had it gunned, and picked up a heck of a score! Good luck to you, you have some serious alloying material. Just my .02 cents.

imashooter2
06-24-2015, 07:24 PM
I've never seen pewter return to shape after flexing, and I've seen a fair pile of pewter goods…

I hope it is what you believe it to be. That would be a great score. :)