PDA

View Full Version : Basic Boolit Lube Question

RFWobbly
03-23-2008, 08:13 PM
First of all. I hope I've posted this in the correct forum. Moderators feel free to move it as housekeeping dictates!

I'd like to learn about bullet lubes used with cast boolits and how they might be applied to 22 rimfire ammo. I own an Anschutz target rifle which gets shot fairly regularly. One of the major differences between the Federal Target ammo ($1.30 per box of 50) and the "good stuff" ($8 to $20 per box) is the bullet lube. I'm thinking that if I could apply a waxy bullet lube to the Federal, they might improve performance, and could possibly have added beneficial results for the barrel.

So the question is, is there a bullet lube generally used in the cast boolits world that could be applied to 22 rimfires? I'm talking spray-on, dip-in, or brush-on? There must be some kind of wax that I could melt and then dip the whole tray of bullets into, 50 at a time.

If so, what's it's name and where can I get it. I am COMPLETELY ignorant of this subject and not being a cast boolit type guy have no other resources, so no suggestion is too basic.

All suggestions greatfully accepted.

mooman76
03-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Basicly any lube can be applied if done correctly. Johnsons Past wax or Liquid alox can be wiped on and your wax types lubes can be melted and you could dip the bullet in. You would have to experiment with them to figure out which would be best for your needs.

Bent Ramrod
03-23-2008, 11:00 PM
I once had some Fiocchi match ammunition that didn't shoot all that well and seemed to be pretty dry on the bullet. I dunked the rest of the rounds into Lee Liquid Alox and shot them; didn't seem to make much difference in the accuracy.

Thus ended my one and only lube experiment.

I thought the difference between the good stuff and the cheap stuff was rigorous quality control testing and maybe priming. Didn't know the lube was such a factor.

cbrick
03-26-2008, 04:26 PM
RFWobbly,

I wouldn't think that if the cheap stuff isn't causing any leading that adding additional wax type or alox lube wouldn't incease accuracy. There should be some lube on the exposed lead of most 22 rimfire ammo already.

As an experiment you could try rubbing the exposed bullet with dry molly and see if this has an effect on accuracy with a clean bore.

compass will
03-26-2008, 08:12 PM
I agree ramrod, I shoot federal auto match in my goldenboy, but each shot sounds different then the last! I feel good ammo is all about quality control, making sure each case has the exact same amount of powder as the last one, the last 100, the last 1000 and so on.

be603
03-27-2008, 01:22 AM
I recall reading somewhere that a key variable in rimfire accuracy is consistency of the primer. That's why you'll see references to the "Eley prime process" advertised on some ammor (e.g. the Aguila 22 ammo sold on the CMP website).

Other thing is matching bore diameter to brand of ammo. If I recollect some rimfire runs .223" and other runs .224"

There are some websites and forums out there dedicated to 22 accuracy -- work your Google Fu and see what comes up. For example, Benchrest.com has a 22 rimfire forum.

Molly
03-27-2008, 04:31 AM
... One of the major differences between the Federal Target ammo ($1.30 per box of 50) and the "good stuff" ($8 to $20 per box) is the bullet lube. I'm thinking that if I could apply a waxy bullet lube to the Federal, they might improve performance, and could possibly have added beneficial results for the barrel.

So the question is, is there a bullet lube generally used in the cast boolits world that could be applied to 22 rimfires? I'm talking spray-on, dip-in, or brush-on? There must be some kind of wax that I could melt and then dip the whole tray of bullets into, 50 at a time. ...

Hi Wobbly,

I'm curious why you think Federal ammo has no lube? Those boys are generally pretty savy, or they couldn't stay in business.

But on the assumption that - for whatever reason - they really don't have any lube, there are a number of problems with what you propose. First of all, molten wax has a very low surface tension, and will penetrate the most minute gaps. If you dip long enough to heat the bullet, I suspect that you would get at least an occasional penetration past the bullet to wet and 'kill' at least part of the powder charge, and perhaps all of it, or even the primer. The same problem would be true of most spray-on or silicon type lubricants.

On the other hand, if you just use a quick dip, you will get a heavy layer or cake around the bullet that may make it difficult to chamber. At the very least, you will sure have a mess as the lube that gets shaved off begins to accumulate in the works of your rifle.

If you want to test your theory, I'd suggest you get some Johnson's paste wax (or whatever you choose) on a clean rag, and individually wipe the bullet of each round before you chamber it. It may be tedious, but it will let you know if the basic approach will work before you go to all the trouble of trying to find a more convenient way to wax them. Alternatively, you could wet a bore mop with your chosen lube and pass it down the barrel between shots to make sure the entire bore is lubricated.

I'd be quite interested in the results, if you try this.

Molly

4060MAY
03-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Merril Martin in Precision Shooting did a long treatise on .22lr
If I can find the articles, I might lend you the books or maybe you could find the articles archived somewhere. might take awhile to find it so bear with me.

felix
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Merril Martin basically said he gave up 22LR because of the inconsistency of the ammo, individual rounds and entire lots. The lube used, and from my experience most all lubes, get hard as nails when left in the chamber, throat, etc. too long after firing. It was he, or someone else, who did a study for the length of time which would be best to complete the shootout. The results, and I agree, seem to be NO MORE than 20 minutes between "groups/volleys" when NOT cleaning between relays. ... felix

wiljen
03-27-2008, 01:16 PM
The other factor in .22 LR ammunition is rim thickness. The cheap ones can vary considerably even within the same box of 50.

runfiverun
03-27-2008, 04:36 PM
what wiljen said
and iirc maybe on lahsc
they did a test where they wiped off lube from less expensive 22's and replaced it
the results were encouraging, but they could not duplicate the eley lube
they tried this because they noticed improved group with first 3-4 shots from
cheaper after shooting eleys.

if it was wed night league or sumthing i would look at
measuring rims and alternating every 3 or so rounds.

RFWobbly
04-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys for the various insights.

Yes, I agree, lube is not THE most important thing to a 22. However it was an article similar to what Run5run quoted that got me thinking. Eley ammo has a thick waxy lube, and the reports were that the first 4 or 5 shots with cheap ammo after shooting Eley did remarkably better. Then (apparently) as the bullets wipe the bore clean, the groups start to disintegrate.

It's not that the Federal 714 doesn't have any lube, it's just that I'm wondering could it do better with lube?

Thanks again!