PDA

View Full Version : NOE 360 150Gr. RN for 9mm?

kalison
06-23-2015, 09:00 PM
I have this mould (http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=1155) and I love it for my 38 special loads. I was wondering if anyone has tried using it for 9mm? I saw that NOE has a 155gr TC 9mm boolit on their site and the length measurement is longer than the 360 150gr RN mould.

My M&P9 is mic'd at .3555 and I could size these down to .356 or .357 (realistically, .357 would be as far as I would go for a .360 cast), I have heard some people use .358 in their .3555 barrels without issues but, I don't know if I would try that myself.

Anyone here tried something similar?

runfiverun
06-23-2015, 11:51 PM
I'd make a couple of dummy rounds and run them through the gun.
you should be okay using 147gr data to get started without any trouble, but the dummy function rounds will let you know how much case space you'll have to work with and you can make a decision from that point.

kalison
06-24-2015, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I have already started working on that :) I'm looking up what some people use for the 155 NOE TC for COL and powder charges.

sigep1764
06-24-2015, 10:37 AM
I'm at 1.125 col and 2.8 grains of red dot sized 358 with the elco boolit. Hope that helps.

kalison
06-24-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm at 1.125 col and 2.8 grains of red dot sized 358 with the elco boolit. Hope that helps.

Thanks! That does help, which gun are you putting it through? So far I would have to seat at 1.050 to get it to head-space correctly with my M&P9. Which seems very short. The ELCO design probably lends itself to be seated a little longer (if I read that diagram correctly, it tapers from the first driving band all the way to the tip?)

sigep1764
06-24-2015, 04:50 PM
That's correct. It is a bore riding boolit. With that 360, I'd be careful of seating to deeply in the 9Mm case. It will more than likely swaged down the base of the boolit. I've been running the same load through a Kahr CW9, CZ 75B OMEGA, CZ P-01, and Glock 19 Gen 3. Perfect in all.

sigep1764
06-24-2015, 04:57 PM
I'd be happy to send some sized/lubed or as cast if you send me a pm.

kalison
06-24-2015, 09:15 PM
That's correct. It is a bore riding boolit. With that 360, I'd be careful of seating to deeply in the 9Mm case. It will more than likely swaged down the base of the boolit. I've been running the same load through a Kahr CW9, CZ 75B OMEGA, CZ P-01, and Glock 19 Gen 3. Perfect in all.

I pulled the mock up I made, and it was swagged at the base. It looked like the Lyman #356637 boolit. The main body was still .358. 1.070 is the farthest I can seat for the chamber of my handgun. I don't know if it will end up working out. I would have to go with 2.5-2.8 Bullseye with the amount of space that's left in the casing. Which is right about what the 147gr calls for anyway... but, meh.

I'd be happy to send some sized/lubed or as cast if you send me a pm.

That is awfully nice of you, I may take you up on that offer!

kalison
06-24-2015, 09:34 PM
I am just thinking out loud here. I looked up more information on the Lyman 356637. Its actually longer (Lyman is .682 - NOE is .648) than the 360 that I have, and it even has a flat nose on it. OAL from Lyman is 1.058 with a very similar length boolit. So there is a chance I can use the starting load from this guy and download it just a bit more for the +3gr of the 360.

My only concern is that the Lyman has a built in bevel because its so long to fit in the 9mm case... where as I would have to make the case swage the 360 down on the tail end.

sigep1764
06-25-2015, 01:38 AM
The problem with swaging down the tail vs the bevel is the entire rear drive band gets swaged too. This possibly could make it smaller than what the bore needs to seal. Seat it as long as you can then check to see if it's swaged still.

kalison
06-25-2015, 02:36 AM
The problem with swaging down the tail vs the bevel is the entire rear drive band gets swaged too. This possibly could make it smaller than what the bore needs to seal. Seat it as long as you can then check to see if it's swaged still.

Thanks for sticking with me on this! My barrel slugs at .3555

I pulled a few dummy rounds that I seated (1.070 is the best I can do), they swaged down to .357 (for about 1/4 of the rear driving band) and then back up to .358 till it starts to taper off for the nose.

Its just too long to not get swaged, which is why I think the Lyman has a long bevel on its design.

kalison
06-25-2015, 02:42 AM
Oh well, I thought it would have been pretty cool. Guess I'll need to get the wallet out for another NOE ;)

tazman
06-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Most round nosed boolits designed for the 38 Special have shorter/fatter noses than boolits designed for the 9mm because of the seating depth issue.
The short, fat nose of a 38 boolit will jam up in a 9mm chamber unless seated deeply in the case. The longer, thinner nose of a boolit designed for 9mm allows the boolit to chamber with part of the nose inside the rifled area of the barrel in a 9mm.
A boolit designed with a bore rider nose allows for a longer OAL with less of the boolit inside the case. This allows for lower pressures with a given powder charge. It also allows use of larger charges of slower powders thereby giving better ballistic performance.
All that isn't necessary for a revolver since the cylinder has no rifling to worry about.
I am currently working with the NOE 155 grain elco design and am getting excellent results.
This link- http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?278539-Elco-tc-hp - will give you some information about the NOE 358-155-TC ELCO and how it works for people on this site.

kalison
06-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Most round nosed boolits designed for the 38 Special have shorter/fatter noses than boolits designed for the 9mm because of the seating depth issue.
The short, fat nose of a 38 boolit will jam up in a 9mm chamber unless seated deeply in the case. The longer, thinner nose of a boolit designed for 9mm allows the boolit to chamber with part of the nose inside the rifled area of the barrel in a 9mm.
A boolit designed with a bore rider nose allows for a longer OAL with less of the boolit inside the case. This allows for lower pressures with a given powder charge. It also allows use of larger charges of slower powders thereby giving better ballistic performance.
All that isn't necessary for a revolver since the cylinder has no rifling to worry about.
I am currently working with the NOE 155 grain elco design and am getting excellent results.
This link- http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?278539-Elco-tc-hp - will give you some information about the NOE 358-155-TC ELCO and how it works for people on this site.

I am actually picking up my ELCO TC today from NOE :)

Thanks for all the info, I knew most of what was going on... just got my gears going and I like to discuss and look at different designs and look at what went into them to make them work they way they do. If for anything else to just give myself something to dive into when my mind goes idle.

sigep1764
06-25-2015, 04:38 PM
I am actually picking up my ELCO TC today from NOE :)

Thanks for all the info, I knew most of what was going on... just got my gears going and I like to discuss and look at different designs and look at what went into them to make them work they way they do. If for anything else to just give myself something to dive into when my mind goes idle.

This why we buy new molds, so we don't go idle lol