PDA

View Full Version : Two-shot en bloc clips for Garand

mtnman31
03-23-2008, 07:27 PM
A while back I saw an article on the web on how to modify original en bloc clips into two shot clips. I have searched high and low and can't find the article anymore.

Can anyone provide me instructions on how to do this simple mod? I know you can buy them, but just like casting, there is a certain pride in doing things for yourself.

Thanks in advance.

Uncle Grinch
03-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Try this....

http://www.fulton-armory.com/2clip.htm

I tried it and gave up. Those things are very hard and springy!!

Bought a couple from Midway.

Good Luck...

mtnman31
03-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Thank you,
That was the page I was looking for. It seems so obvious now that I know where to find it.

I have some round nose pliers I thought I could bend and shape it with but the pliers are just too small to get any leverage. I'll have to look around the laboratory (garage) for another way to shape it.

Kraschenbirn
03-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Years ago, there was an article in American Rifleman (back when they had a regular gunsmithing column) that explained how to make your own 2-round clips by soldering a square nut inside of an 8-rounder. I made up two or three at the time and, as I recall, they worked just fine. I'll see if I can find them in the next day or two and, if I can, will send you a PM with the details...what size nut to use and where to position it.

Bill

Hip's Ax
03-24-2008, 10:53 AM
I've seen guys make their own. I just bought them, for $4 each it was worth it to me. I don't use the SLED made from a clip though, I have a Kustom Kraft solid alminum SLED that I prefer, see second link. The guy who makes these in in NJ ans I know I paid considerable less than Brownelle's is asking.

http://www.champchoice.com/shop.php?pline=MISCEL&Go=Go

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=1536&st=garand&s=

Hip's Ax
03-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Here we go. Midway still has the KK SLED available. In fact I think this Kraft guy in Midway's gunsmith finder may be the guy who makes them. If you want one I'd e-mail him, his price could be a lot lower. Nice SLED and easy to use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=182049

Les Kraft
6 Walnut Valley Rd
Columbia, NJ 07832-2784
908-362-5944
leskraft@ptd.net

Bob S
03-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Cut a tee slot with a dremel cut-off disk, anneal and bend like so:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/2shot_clip2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/2shot_clip.jpg

Better yet, just learn to put two rounds in the clip and give them a twist. They will stay put, and will staighten out as you push the clip in.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

jonk
03-24-2008, 02:36 PM
I agree with Bob. I DO have a 2 shot clip, but just twisting 2 into an 8 shot clip always worked fine.

NickSS
03-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Thats all I did when I shot an M1 in competion for 10 or 12 years I just twisted two rounds in a clip and shuved them in. No problem at all so I never bothered making a special clip. I did make a sled so that during single shot off hand and prone shooting it made for less work loading each round.

garandsrus
03-25-2008, 03:06 PM
I agree with the posters above, I have a two round clip but just end up twisting two rounds into a clip. The two round clip was a hassle to put two rounds into...

The SLED however is a MUST HAVE, especially if you are left handed! It makes loading the 30 single fire rounds in a National Match course much easier.

John

jonk
03-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Just shows, that everyone has their favorites... I tried the sled once and for the life of me, couldn't figure out why anyone would waste money on it. Just so you don't have to push down on the follower- when you have ten minutes to shoot your string! The 2 shot clip is sort of in the same boat, but at least that is on rapid fire and you have a time limit; if the 2 round twist gives you trouble then surely it is a help. Still, I know guys who shoot even worse things.... like AR 15s... ;-)

Y2K
03-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Jonk, think you can work on playing nicer with others?

Bob S
03-27-2008, 01:25 PM
My service rifle was the M1, or more accurately, the Navy Mk2-1 (Mark Two, Mod One), which was the M1 with a .308 barrel and a nylon magazine block (which we all removed, because they had a tendency to break, and when they did, the debris would create a jam). We all just got used to loading the thing without any widgets because they didn't exist: crossing two rounds in the standard eight-round clip and single loading by placing the cartridge in the chamber, pushing the follower down, triping the bolt latch and easing the bolt forward about half way before letting it fly. We could do these things on one fluid motion. For shooters who didn't "grow up" with the M1, the SLED and two shot clips are probably a good idea.

Allegedly, the SLED was "invented" by Don McCoy, a Navy shooter who became the chief armorer in the Match Shop at SATU San Diego, and who is generally acknowledged as the world's foremost authority on accurizing the M1. I never saw a SLED in my time on the Navy Team, though. It was some time after we went to the M14 that I saw a SLED for the first time, and it was commercially made.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Johnw...ski
03-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Cut a tee slot with a dremel cut-off disk, anneal and bend like so:

Better yet, just learn to put two rounds in the clip and give them a twist. They will stay put, and will staighten out as you push the clip in.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

I agree Bob,

I never had a problem with the 2 rounds. But then again I have at least 100 clips and being a tinkerer....... I like your method for modifying to 2 rounds.

John

garandsrus
03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Jonk,

Try loading and shooting 20 rounds one at a time in prone, with a coat, sling, shooting glove, shooting left handed, without breaking your position too badly and you'll understand why a sled is a MUST HAVE or at least a "I really like this thing for $10".

John

Johnw...ski
03-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Jonk,

Try loading and shooting 20 rounds one at a time in prone, with a coat, sling, shooting glove, shooting left handed, without breaking your position too badly and you'll understand why a sled is a MUST HAVE or at least a "I really like this thing for $10".

John

Never tried one at a time prone, but then again I am right handed so it should be more do able.

John

Hip's Ax
04-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Granted the crossed two rounds and no SLED is perfectly doable and history has proven that.

The reason I use the two round clips is the same reason I use 9 magazines for my AR and M1A. 8 for rapid fire and one for single loading. I load up all of my rapid fire clips or magazines in the morning and have them separated in gallon Zip Loc bags in my stool. This is one less thing to worry about and gives me more time to look for my brass and also one less thing to worry about so I remember to get out of the other shooters way.

The two crossed rounds can also be "fumbled" thus causing you the embarrassment of holding up the line.

The SLED is just easier and removes the possibility that if I slipped with that Op Rod from near full open I might have a slam fire. That aluminum SLED that I use drags on the bottom of the bolt thus reducing speed if I screw up. :roll:

e15cap
04-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Don McCoy is still at it in Santee Ca. working out of his home for many years. Slowed down some, but, who hasn't. Roger in San Diego

Bob S
04-01-2008, 09:36 PM
By my figuring, he's about 83, +/-. If you want the best M1, he's the guy to go to.

Resp'y,
Bob S.