PDA

View Full Version : Big Lead Purchase Out of State? Shipping?

psychbiker
06-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Shipping 100s of LBS of lead, the cheapest is going to be flat rate shipping boxes right?

I'm looking to buy 500+ lbs of ingots. Be somewhat of a pain for the USPS but thats not really my problem.

I'd likely have to send a money order. Whats the largest lead purchase you've made sight unseen lead wise? Seller said they smelt and cast as they go and ingots can be roughly any LB size and are from range scrap bullets. I want the max to fit in Large Flat Rate Box.

Havent agreed or sent payment, maybe I'll see if they can email me some pics first.

Am I really going to have 7+ boxes delivered to my house?? :bigsmyl2:

Yodogsandman
06-22-2015, 11:09 PM
You want to purchase lead from a reputable source that will package it well enough for it to make it to the destination...you. 7 empty, ripped up flat rate boxes delivered to you would suck. Many sources are right here on this forum that know what they're doing. If you are purchasing from "TheCaptain"....you have no worries!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?63886-Lead-Ingots-For-Sale-Buyer-s-Choice

Handloader109
06-23-2015, 05:10 AM
Yep, I'd buy a box or two and make sure that it is both satisfactory and that it makes it to you

Beagle333
06-23-2015, 05:51 AM
Getting an empty, ripped-up box is the pits. A lot of people don't understand the strain on a heavy box being shipped and also don't understand that any small nick will immediately render useless clear mylar "packing" tape as well as that printed mylar tape that is free at the P.O.
The P.O. is the way to go..... if the seller knows how to pack it. :D

Happy shooting of that 500# score!!!

runfiverun
06-23-2015, 08:47 AM
I once bought 24 boxes of alloy and had it shipped USPS.
5-6 of them come in looking like they had been drug behind the mail truck, and I had to go get them at the local post office.

you can't just throw 65 pounds of lead in a cardboard box and expect it to get across country without some damage.

Yodogsandman
06-23-2015, 10:02 AM
One other thought....range scrap lead varies quite a bit in the amount of antimony, tin, arsenic and other trace ingredients depending on the location of the range where it was mined. I'd want a lot more info about the specifics than just buying ingots of clip-on wheel weights. COWW's will vary too, just not nearly as much. I'd want an XrF gun readout of the specifics on the range scrap before hand. Buyer beware! Again, buy from a trusted, reputable source.

Specific alloy blends are also available from trusted site sponsors flashing on the screen above and provide free shipping for large orders.

OuchHot!
06-23-2015, 12:14 PM
I have bought several times from the captain and the packages always made it to me in good shape and the alloy was very nice and consistent. I found out early that if I ordered more than two packages at a time, the PO would find a reason to make me go pick it up. The fact that my delivery person is a 85# Asian lady might have something to do with it.

Alan in Vermont
06-23-2015, 12:21 PM
I want the max to fit in Large Flat Rate Box.

You're not going to be using Large FRBs. The Medium ones will hold way more than 70 lbs of lead. You will be into eight MFRBs with 62.5# in each box on average.

62chevy
06-23-2015, 12:56 PM
You're not going to be using Large FRBs. The Medium ones will hold way more than 70 lbs of lead. You will be into eight MFRBs with 62.5# in each box on average.

I got 69 pounds shipped to me last year in a MFRB and 6 SFRB with no damage except the post man was ticked.

jsizemore
06-23-2015, 08:00 PM
For 500lbs you might find somebody local to you. Where you at?

retread
06-23-2015, 08:18 PM
I got 69 pounds shipped to me last year in a MFRB and 6 SFRB with no damage except the post man was ticked.

I can understand why a postal carrier would get upset about 65+ lb boxes, but that was and is the Post Office's offering. The complaints should be aimed at them not the customer using their service.

bangerjim
06-23-2015, 08:22 PM
For that kind of weight, I would explore motor freight. When talking 500#, MF is generally cheaper than all those teeny USPS boxes. And a lot easier!

I ship many hundred pound stuff all over the country all the time and MF is the only way to go.

banger

62chevy
06-23-2015, 08:47 PM
I can understand why a postal carrier would get upset about 65+ lb boxes, but that was and is the Post Office's offering. The complaints should be aimed at them not the customer using their service.

He got over it.

psychbiker
06-23-2015, 08:50 PM
For 500lbs you might find somebody local to you. Where you at?

Norcal California. The home of no more lead wheel weights.