PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Quigley Match

Bent Ramrod
06-22-2015, 11:22 AM
The Quigley match this year was huge fun, as usual. 611 competitors (last count I heard) from as far away as Germany, England and Australia. High score was 44 out of 48. The high New Shooter got over 40, which is amazing for somebody going into it cold. (I practice all the time on windy ranges in other locales, but the Quigley wind is something else entirely.) One guy got eight straight offhand on the Bucket target, 350 yards. From the looks, this year's weather should have been better for scores than last year's blustery wind, rain and overcast; it was mostly sunny and all the rain either fell in the evenings or early mornings or bypassed Forsyth on its way east. But the apparently mild right and left breezes had everybody twiddling their windages back and forth, just a step behind the latest change in force or direction.

i finally broke 30, which makes me very happy. The only target I did worse on this year was the Bucket. I am also delighted with the performance of my MVA scope. Had to (reluctantly) abandon iron sights because of eye troubles, and the start of the relationship with the scope was rocky, to say the least. The vernier in the scope is more compressed than that on the longer iron sight staffs, easier for a low tech guy like me to misread, so I brought irons for backup if the scope proved too troublesome. But after three days' sight in readings, I set the elevations for the match and the scope didn't lie to me once. My misses were all wind misjudgements, flinches, and getting nerves and neglecting the basics. I really like that MVA mil-dot reticle. I don't think I held directly on the center of the targets five times in the whole match. The dots made it easy to gauge the holdoff. Of course, I would miss when the wind dropped (a not infrequent occurrence), but that was not the scope's fault.

Kudos to Al Lee, the Coker family, the Forsyth Rifle and Pistol Club, and their friends for putting this match on. I shot up lots of ammo, heard tons more go off, and enjoyed every second of it. Back next year, if I can move or see at all.

Litl Red 3991
06-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Anywhere on the internet got pictures?

Don McDowell
06-22-2015, 04:00 PM
www.quigleymatch.com

KenH
06-23-2015, 07:30 PM
That sure sounds like fun. I read the rules, but didn't understand - does any "clang" on the target count? OR - must the white circle be hit?

Don McDowell
06-23-2015, 07:49 PM
Any clang, doesn't matter if it's dead center bullseye, skip one in, or even shoot low bust a rock and send a chunk of rock into the target , if it rings thru the radio, it's a hit.

KenH
06-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks Don - I wasn't sure if it had to be a "kill" shot, or just a clang. Sure sounds like a fun match.

Ken H>

Don McDowell
06-24-2015, 01:40 PM
It's something everybody should do once

freedom475
06-25-2015, 03:31 AM
It was so much fun getting to shoot with all of you!!! Anyone thinking about attending...DO IT!! This is the world championship of Black Powder Rifles...and it is open to EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone not attending??? PLEASE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone attending ?... ..Fun! wasn't it??http://historicshooting.com/mybb/images/smilies/tongue.gif...

For those of you that know me ( or give a ****) ..Life kind'a kicked my *** this winter...The Big Whiskey was the last time my rifle had seen light. 9-6-14http://historicshooting.com/mybb/images/smilies/cool.gif

I arrived at the "Q" with no spotter... but good ammo, and a Shiloh rifle... I was a little disappointed by the internet "BS" circulating around the unfortunate soul that managed to blow his hand off in practice with smokeless powder...( I pray he is comfortable and healing nicely!) We need allow this **** to unify us..NOT separate us :!:

fOR THOSE TEASING...Let us not forget that the Gun its' self..(The 1874 sharps) is in itself "playing "dress-up"!!!!!!!!!!!!http://historicshooting.com/mybb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif SO COOL AND A TOTAL ICON OF THE WEST!!!!!!

Being a little scared of the smokeless crowd myself... I looked to squad myself with the BP guys I knew...sure enough, there was a 1st position opening with the guys I knew!! ... This brought a big smile to my face!

The guys managed to rib and tease me about being the 1st shooter in line at every target...The roll of the dice, for the first shot hit,.. was up to me!! It was so much fun!!! The hardest part was to stop laughing long enough to send the shot http://historicshooting.com/mybb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif ...The finale of day 2 was the wind went to total ****.. and just enough wind to ruin a good run.

For those of you that know him....Toby ( my spotter) "Said lets do this"..."Zero your sight"///not really what I had in mind after trying to get the wind number figured out http://historicshooting.com/mybb/images/smilies/confused.gif But I knew that I had to listen to him because he's Indian and the wind just seems to speek to him. http://historicshooting.com/mybb/images/smilies/tongue.gifhttp://historicshooting.com/mybb/images/smilies/confused.gif...He called me back and forth across zero...no matter what the little wind flag at the line was saying...He backed the scope out to read mirage that defied all logic!!!..But he could see it!!! Even when the wind flag was left,.. he told me to go right!!! After most of the hits he told me to return to Zero!! Toby really won the Quigley 2015 for me!!! Thanks Toby!!! http://historicshooting.com/mybb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Anyone wondering??? Don't miss this shoot!!! It really has become the greatest shoot in the country!!! Just because of the people!!
Thank you everyone!!
And God Bless you all!!!!!!!!!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=142870&d=1435209957

DeadWoodDan
06-25-2015, 06:28 AM
This is on my bucket list, only rifle I have to participate with is the Springfield TD, but figured I would be there for the fun and friends not so much to compete. Hopefully one yr I can make it happen.

Congratulations Wes !! can you tell us more about the rifle and load used?

DWD

Old-Win
06-25-2015, 09:29 AM
That was some great shooting!! Your score of 44 and the new shooter's score of 43 were bonkers. Way above anybody else. The winds were unusually shifty this year and for you two to stay on top of it is admirable. Just don't give too much credit to that Toby C. character or he'll be hard to live with.[smilie=s: I met him at the 2008 World Championships in Lodi, WI and watched him guide the "Indian Nations" team to second place. Congratulations on your win. Bob

Jim2
06-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Congrats to Wes, that's some pretty fine shootin' 8-).

Jim

freedom475
06-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Congratulations Wes !! can you tell us more about the rifle and load used?

DWD

Sure Dan... I shoot a 1874 Shiloh in 45-90 (aka 2.4) 30" barrel.

My load is 78gr Olde Eynsford 1 1/2 black...this stuff is awesome for hydration..I never cleaned my gun the entire 3 days I was shooting (around 150 rounds)...Just used a blow tube between shots.

At night I blew ten breaths and ran a couple cotton balls through the barrel to make sure I had no hard cake fouling.

I use a BACO 525gr Money bullet cast 15:1 lead/tin.. pan lubed as cast with SPG.

Anneal all cases when new, and debur the inside primer pockets.. and then never mess with the cases again...bullets are hand seated and quite loose. For Quigley or hunting I add a very light crimp to keep bullets from falling out.

Bent Ramrod
06-25-2015, 08:21 PM
That was great shooting, Wes. The wind proved that subtlety and treachery beats force and bluster every time. Two people got possibles last year, despite rain and winds. A good spotter is a real Secret Weapon; there ought to be a High Spotter award. Most of the people I talked to did worse this year than last. There's nothing certain about the Quigley, except the fun factor.

Many people shoot Trapdoors at the Quigley, and do pretty well. A good one, with somebody who knows the sight settings, can make the guys with the Vernier sights hustle to keep ahead. I would suggest the Buffington sight, and plenty of practice ammo to set elevations. The first time I was at the Quigley, there was a guy who shot the whole course offhand with a Trapdoor, and he got the same score I did that year.

ELFEGO BACA
07-04-2015, 02:36 PM
143655143657This was the 24th Quigley Match- my first!
i came with Lannie and Bill 4 days early to join some fellow shooters we competed with at the Lone Tree matches and Mica.
The biggest concern is staying hydrated.
I managed to place 113 with 30 hits- got a pin for 8 hits with 8 shots on the 24" diamond at 405 yards. I got to give credit to Lannie my spotter as he also let me use his placed cross sticks- they were just right! In offhand I managed 6 hits. The grey bearded range master said I should have shot the whole match offhand.

Lannie placed 53rd with 34 hits while his brother Bill placed 40th with 35 hits.

It's a terrific place with wonderful people!

Lead pot
07-04-2015, 03:02 PM
Hmmmm, where have I seen those 10 before? Hmmmm :)

Don McDowell
07-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Most likely in one of the reruns of America's most wanted.....

Lead pot
07-04-2015, 07:41 PM
:) :)

ELFEGO BACA
07-04-2015, 08:34 PM
143680One fellow used an elk antler instead of the traditional cross sticks!

missionary5155
07-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Greetings
That is one award to be held high. Congratulations !
I like that antler idea. He should have gotten an award for originality !
Mike in Peru