PDA

View Full Version : Castrol Red Rubber Grease / Calcium Soap

Black Beard
06-22-2015, 08:49 AM
Has anyone else tried Red Rubber Grease as an ingredient in bullet lube?

It is mainly calcium soap (as used in liquid alox) and castor oil. Also in there is plus a small amount of some not so nice lubricating chemicals but I shoot outside so I'm ignoring them. It is designed as a lubricant on rubber parts in the motor industry.

I've used this as a replacement for the sodium soap and some of the castor oil in felix lube. I just added it at the start and kept stirring until it was all melted. No leading so far (tried to 1900fps on gas check bullets- my local range has velocity restrictions).

I'd like to get hold of some calcium soap to avoid the additives but the only easy source I can find is as dairy cattle feed (profat, etc). I expect that I would have to buy a huge bag. I'd be interested if anyone else has had a go with calcium soap.

Black Beard (in UK)

runfiverun
06-22-2015, 09:34 AM
many of the greases used for boats and such have a calcium base.
I don't think they use a calcium stearate but rather a calcium carbonate, the calcium soaps [alox] have a tendency to build up in the corners of stuff like your lands and grooves.
calcium carbonate is actually pretty easy to find it's used in many anti acids you find at the grocery store.