PDA

View Full Version : Been Busy...

bruce drake
06-22-2015, 01:21 AM
I'm just wanting to let people know I really haven't fallen off the casting world. I've been working on a teaching certificate here in Indiana over the last year while I was recovering from neck surgery last October and its been a great journey to get that certificate from Indiana...BUT I also have returned as of 1 June to the world of veteran services with a position as the Assistant Director for Troop and Family Support for The American Legion's National Headquarters.

I primarily handle grant requests to the Operation Comfort Warriors Program which provides monetary grants to organizations and individuals to aid ill and injured servicemen and veterans across the US. I also coordinate American Legion Posts across the US to adopt military units who are deployed overseas to help provide assistance to spouses and family still at their home stations. Its a great job. I'm on the road about 50% of the time so my casting and shooting time has dropped a bit.

AND...I close on the retirement house this Friday. I've decided that Indianapolis will be the retirement city for the next 30 years at least according to my new mortgage...

Once the house is unloaded, unpacked and settled to Mrs. Drake's satisfaction, I will return to my 30-223/30 Apache in an AR project and my 6.5 Grendel AR-15 with cast and my 7x57mm Garand...And did I mention that I'm eyeballing a 22-243 Reamer to change the chambering on my 22-250...

TOO MANY PROJECTS....Not enough time...I'm so glad I'm retired now...

Artful
06-22-2015, 02:59 AM
Glad to hear all is going well, you have some catching up to do here.

Bad Water Bill
06-22-2015, 07:45 AM
bruce drake (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?525-bruce-drake)

That name rings a bell from way back.

Does anyone remember him or where he vanished to?:kidding:

Welcome back sir[smilie=s:

runfiverun
06-23-2015, 12:25 AM
I think that was the guy that was gonna sell me a 7x57 M-1 Garand.
:kidding:

Bzcraig
06-23-2015, 01:45 AM
The last one I remember had a picture of himself in some weird purple tights or something.

lbaize3
06-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Oh, yeah, "that" Bruce Drake.... Been wondering about him. Remind me to tell you about the flashbacks caused by those posts containing grown men wearing purple tights....:bigsmyl2:

Wayne Smith
06-24-2015, 07:51 AM
Oh, yeah, "that" Bruce Drake.... Been wondering about him. Remind me to tell you about the flashbacks caused by those posts containing grown men wearing purple tights....:bigsmyl2:

... and teaching children!! What are we coming to??

Hey, Bruce - according to all this you have a friend in Australia.

Bad Water Bill
06-24-2015, 08:06 AM
I seriously have doubts about him being a REAL MARINE.

Would ANY self respecting Marine put on "PURPLE" tights then do a selfie of himself and post it on an international site.[smilie=s:

waynem34
06-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Don' t talk about the purple pants. People vanish when the purple pants are mentioned.

bruce drake
06-24-2015, 01:12 PM
A Real Marine can wear them and still kick people's Arses. And I've got friends all over the globe! ;)

Stuck at the Madison WI airport today waiting for my flight so I'll be able to finally do some Cast Boolit forum searching...

Oh yes, I taught kids this year. A lasting impression...;)

Bruce

Blacksmith
06-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Bruce,

You like kids and have contacts with many Legion members and posts so here is something to add to your full plate. The Legion has a junior shooting sports program, but we need more posts to sponsor programs. So when you are out and about spread the word. Young people are the future of the shooting sports and will become the defenders of the Second Amendment in years to come.

The American Legion Junior Shooting Sports Program is a gun safety education and marksmanship program that encompasses the basic elements of safety, education, enjoyment and competition. Shooters use the .177 caliber air rifle. Both males and females can participate, through Legion sponsorship; disabled youth are encouraged to join, as competitive shooting is a sport that creates an equal playing field for all competitors. Contact your local Legion post, Sons of The American Legion squadron or Auxiliary unit for information about affiliating as a club or individual.

Here is a link to the page on the Legion's web site with more information:
http://www.legion.org/shooting/about

Everyone else either in the American Legion or if there is a Legion Post in your town, ask if they have a program or suggest they start one. The more programs there are the more opportunities for young people to learn and compete.

P.S. I help with a couple of programs and teaching and coaching the kids is very rewarding.

bruce drake
06-25-2015, 04:27 PM
The National Junior Shooting Sports Program Administrator is in the office right beside me... ;)

One of the better programs for kids in the American Legion in my opinion as well.

I'm trying to develop the program at my Post also.

Bruce

BLTsandwedge
06-25-2015, 05:41 PM
The last one I remember had a picture of himself in some weird purple tights or something.

No, that was Carpetman

Bad Water Bill
06-25-2015, 07:21 PM
Another one from the past that we have lost.

Sure miss some of those OLD timers.

bruce drake
06-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Nope, You've asked and I've returned... ;) Purple Tights of the Antipodes and all!

Bad Water Bill
06-25-2015, 09:30 PM
MY EYES...MY EYES

Have you no shame?

Looks like Girty just might start traveling again.:evil:

Fishman
06-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Sounds like a really worthwhile position. I especially agree with the part about the spouses of deployed soldiers needing help. Good luck with your endeavors.

leeggen
06-26-2015, 10:04 PM
Well let's see if I can remember where Indianapolis is------ Oh yea, that is the city that covers atleast one full county in Indiana. It used to be surrounded by I465 but now 465 is inercity. Those tites look better than the Black ninjas being worn. Glad to hear of your new position. I beleive a good man has it.
CD

Blacksmith
06-27-2015, 04:42 PM
The National Junior Shooting Sports Program Administrator is in the office right beside me... ;)

One of the better programs for kids in the American Legion in my opinion as well.

I'm trying to develop the program at my Post also.

Bruce

We also get support from Friends of the NRA grants. We shoot one night a week in the bingo hall and use home made pellet traps with a heavy curtain backdrop to catch stray pellets. The CMP has the best price of rifles (the refurbished ones), targets and pellets. You will need more targets and pellets than you think, number of shooters X number of targets X number of shots per target. We had to cut the stocks on some guns shorter to fit the smallest shooters. Find someone who will learn to do airgun repairs. There is also a helpful section on airguns at the CMP forum. We have been at it 15 years or so. It is very rewarding. Tell your office neighbor the book needs revision it still says the cost of the guns can't exceed $180.

bruce drake
06-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Will do! back to work tomorrow. Been working since Friday moving into the new home. Closing took nearly 3 hours to do all the papers. Been moving everything except the kitchen sink since Friday afternoon.

Bruce

bruce drake
06-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Book has been revised. THey talk about getting quality rifles in the 250-350 price range
http://www.legion.org/documents/legion/pdf/jssp_administrative_manual.pdf

Good luck everyone!

Blacksmith
06-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Book has been revised. THey talk about getting quality rifles in the 250-350 price range
http://www.legion.org/documents/legion/pdf/jssp_administrative_manual.pdf

Good luck everyone!

They must be using up old stock because the last batch we ordered six months ago were still the older edition. I think I read in On Target awhile back they upped it to $500 and I think that was without sights so the new AirForce ambidextrous rifle could qualify.

Tell him to keep up the good work. I hope you are successful in getting a program started at your local American legion.

Update: I was talking about the book we give to the shooters "Shooter's Guide to POSITION AIR RIFLE" by Leo R. Lujan not the leader's guide that you linked to. In it on page 2-1 it only lists two ".... preferred rifles..." and the cost of $180 in addition I believe the National Three Position Air Rifle Council has established more restrictive limits on approved rifles.

Correction: I just checked the current rule book #10 section 4 and the not to exceed price is $525, and there are other technical limitations as well.